Author Topic: R/T option on Challangers  (Read 10566 times)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: R/T option on Challangers
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2005 - 09:15:52 PM »
I wonder if these 383s were 2 or 4bbl engines?  You could get a 383 2bbl in a non R/T car.  These cars did have some nice options. 

Wonder why the antennas were moved to the rear quarter panel? 
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2005 - 09:48:03 PM »
N code is a HP 383.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2005 - 09:53:42 PM »
Yup. The 383 four barrel was available in a non - R/T. The VINs read JH23N or JH27N for the hard top and converitble respectively.

Barry

Offline ford guy

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2005 - 10:48:36 PM »
Here is something else to add to this mix of interesting oddities.  If some of you remember a previous thread where I was trying to identify a real shaker hood before the site went down and lost the most recent threads.  Anyway, 1971 Challenger, JH vin car, first week production, Canadian car, real factory shaker hood and shaker - the previous three owners back to the original family owners swore it was always there, but you know how that goes - and there was no N96 on the fender tag, so they couldn't prove it.  Although, this car had all the signs of it really being a factory shaker car,  so I gambled and bought it.  Long story short, one build sheet a rats nest in shards - found another build sheet - and there it was N96 Fresh Air Package!!  Unbelievable find, and to top it off, it is a factory rear backlite louver car and front/rear spoiler group car (these two options were on the fender tag), as well as dual exhaust,  chrome tips, hood pins with lanyards, pistol grip, side stripe, high impact color, and more.  At first glance you would think it was an R/T.  This car also has more unique stuff, not an SE, but has leather seats.  First and last production cars can come with strange stuff, as the factory is unloading old stock.  I have seen another first week production '71, also a JH vin, and it had the exact same leather seats, but was not an SE either.  I believe the factory was unloading the previous years' leather seat covers.  Anyway, this car will turn any Ford guy into a Mopar fan...

Offline FY1 RT SE

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2005 - 12:53:52 AM »
N code is a HP 383.

N code could be either the 335 or 330 horse engine.

Offline FY1 RT SE

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2005 - 12:55:00 AM »
This isn't rocket science.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2005 - 06:27:16 AM »
Cool find ford guy!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2005 - 04:03:48 PM »
Sounds like a sweet car Ford Guy!!   Do ya got and pics to share with all us MOPAR people!!  Oh and Welcome again! 

Offline ford guy

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2005 - 10:22:31 PM »
Thanks!  This is such a cool car, never thought I could ever get something like this.  If it had been coded on the fender tag there would have been no way I could have afforded it.  I bought this thing on pics only, and waited for the truck to deliver it, some anxious moments waiting for its arrival.  The first thing I did when it came off the truck was knock on the hood, it was metal (sigh of relief), opened the hood - factory pinch welds on the underhood bracing (more relief), great paint and interior (started smiling at this point), spent two nights searching it over from front to back top to bottom, when I found a very tattered  build sheet, i felt that kind of rush mixed with fear, as the answer to this car laid before me.  I looked and my arms went in the air and I did a few uncontrollable running histerical victory laps around the garage, came to my senses, then did a few more.  Wow, what a rush!

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2005 - 09:36:18 AM »
OH MY GOD!!  That story got me so excited for you, I started jumping around too!!    That is fantastic!!  Scary that you bought the car without inspecting it but one of the times that it works out for the better!!  Time to change your login to SWEETCHALLENGERGUY!!   lol   Love to see that car in person . . . care for a trip to Carlisle in July 2006?? 

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2005 - 10:51:24 AM »
Gorgeous car Ford Guy! Excellent find!  So....how does she drive?
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline ford guy

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2005 - 12:51:26 AM »
It also drives as good as it looks!  I don't know if I could make Carlisle, I have always wanted to go, but it is pretty far away for me.  The paint is very good, as well as the interior.  I don't think I have ever had a car this far along, I guess I will start detailing the undercarriage.  When I found it I knew I had to move quickly, as it had just come out on the market, by the time I committed there were others in line behind me.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2005 - 08:54:45 AM »
Well I would pat yourself on the back 'cause you done GOOD!! 

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2005 - 11:11:27 PM »
Well Guys it seems that I started something.  It really seems strange to me when I contacted Chrysler on this subject and gave them all the numbers and tag information they could not tell me if it was or was not a R/T.  It did come from the Factory with the badges on it.  So it was not!!!! a clone as some say.   I have owned over 15 Barracuda's of all styles and banges and 10 or so Challangers.  I have worked in Chrysler Dodge Plymouth and Jeep dealerships.  I have been in the Automotive Business for over 39 years.  Alot with Chyrsler.  I am not saying I am the authority on e-bodies but I do know more than most and I have proved several wrong in the past.  I am not trying to be argumentative or hard to get along with.  I want to say that most have not seen what I have or been where I have been or owned what I have owned or could have owned.

Gordon
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2005 - 08:36:48 AM »
No hard feelings or anything, Gordon.

This definately was an interesting topic and it really put our thinking caps on!

Do you have any pics of the car or any other cool cars you have?