Underbody

Author Topic: Underbody  (Read 4928 times)

Offline Tim440RT

• Get an R/T
Underbody
« on: October 11, 2005 - 08:08:22 PM »
what is  the correct way to paint the underbody, what do you all do? Thanks, tim
1970 Challenger R/T 440

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
Re: Underbody
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005 - 08:19:55 PM »
Mine will be done with an undercoating as original.
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005 - 06:04:27 PM »
Por 15 to seal her off & then primed & painted body color, no undercoating here, everywhere that & seamsealer was, was rusted  ! Rich.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005 - 08:57:53 PM by RUSTY Cuda »

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005 - 07:50:45 PM »
I don't know the exact procedures the factory used, but I had mine painted body color and I'll probably end up spraying undercoating in the wheel wells just to make sure it doesn't chip up and rust in there.
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline ChallengerVert

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005 - 02:05:19 AM »
If you do not undercoat it, paint underneath acrylic enamel.  It is a little bit harder than polyurethane, and will hold up better.
1970 Dodge Challenger Convertible 493 6 Pack, 4 Speed
1971 Dodge Demon 408 5 Speed

Offline ISSUES

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005 - 11:19:59 AM »
Was the underbody painted body color from the factory before undercoating?   I had planned to seal it with expoxy primer (DPLF40) then spray undercoating while it was on the rotisserie, and before bodywork.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005 - 11:23:53 AM »
the factory dipped the body in a green primer & it was oversprayed so only yhe edges were panted & poorly at that , i would coat the bottom with epoxy primer & either under coat or paint over that

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005 - 11:47:01 AM »
the factory dipped the body in a green primer & it was oversprayed so only yhe edges were panted & poorly at that , i would coat the bottom with epoxy primer & either under coat or paint over that
Chryco

What do you think of doing the undercoating with a rhino liner?
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline gomangoRT/SE

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005 - 06:33:57 PM »
California cars I have heard were primered black.    I know mine is a California car originally and I really could not detect the primer as undercoating was heavy.   Word has it they primered it green, except LA cars that were black and had the overspray from the color of the body.    I can say my car had gomango orange all the way to the hump where the driveshaft goes,  much more than simply overspray around the edges.

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005 - 11:27:27 PM »
Was the green primer a lime green , dark green, or ? :dunno:
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline 70Cuda

• 70 Cuda 383 70 Challenger 440+6 71 Challenger 383
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005 - 12:07:55 AM »
There are several other postings on this too and here's a couple:

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=14836.0

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=14165.0

Not to contradict the green but my 70 Hamtramk cars looked like the brown/red primer underneath the undercoating for my Cuda and I thought my Challenger looked gray.

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005 - 07:05:18 AM »
My Hamtrack '72 'cuda was dipped in a dark gray primer. You can see the dip line on the rear fenderwells. Resto Rick sells a primer that duplicates the correct color. The body color was shot with doors, hood, and decklid bolted on (without latches installed). Color was applied from floor level, thus there is a little overspray on the bottom and a little into the car. I suppose if they were at the end of a run of that color or at the end of the shift, they might have sprayed what color they had left to get rid of it, as in spraying more color into the interior. The blackout paint was sprayed with the radiator and fenders installed by a guy in a pit as the car rolled overhead. This is why you will see color on the top-side of the radiator yoke and black on the underside and flat portions. Overspray of black onto other surfaces was common.

I believe that all cars had undercoating in the front and rear wheel wells. This was to keep the paint from chipping. It also helps keep noise down. Also note that undercoating was applied on the inside of the quarters and doors for sound insulation.

As for POR-15 on the bottom side, has anyone run into adhesion problems? I keep hearing that POR-15 really likes surface rust as a substrate. Some guys have reported that POR-15 won't adhere to a non-rusty surface.  :dunno:

I'm considering undercoating the entire underside of the car, but I'm worried about 2 things. First, when I go to sell the car, I'm worried that potential buyers would be scared off by the undercoating as many guys use that stuff to hide problems. I suppose lots of before and after pics would help on that issue, but buyers are always advised to beware of undercoated cars. Second, I'd hate to have to remove that stuff during a second restoration or for repair work! Any thoughts on the bad vs. the good?

Offline ISSUES

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2005 - 09:59:57 AM »
I've never seen undercoating as a bad thing or a hinderance to value.   Pictures are always a bonus as is any documentation.   POR is strong stuff, but so is epoxy primer, or sealer (DPLF).  I've got both applied to different parts of my last car, and have had no problems with either.   Maybe I'm naive, but it seems  unlikely that most of these cars will go thru another restoration unless they're truly being driven alot.   They'll never see winter's, salt, or even that much rain again.   Compare driving down a gravel road in your daily driver to how you'd take the same road in your restored collector.   I've got a gravel driveway, and I cringe everytime a little chip rock flies out of my tires and hits the inner fender while getting up to speed on asphalt.   I don't give it a second thought in the Suburban.   This is probably the reason I will undercoat.   Im sure it'd be different if it were a trailer queen.

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2005 - 06:04:02 PM »
Well I look at it this way,my original cuda was my only car,drove to work every day rain snow whatever, this car will be driven any chance I get, granted it's  not anything special but I don't wanna miss out on the fun of occasional donouts in the snow!  :crazy:
 Rich.

Offline 70Cuda

• 70 Cuda 383 70 Challenger 440+6 71 Challenger 383
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2005 - 04:23:50 PM »
I drive my car (to and from cruises, shows, etc) and put maybe 500-1000 miles a year on it and did not undercoat it (again) except for the necessary wheel wells and chipping hasn't been a problem.  In fact, it actually has stayed pretty clean underneath but I do clean it every now and then too.  Unless you are trying to hide something or absolutely want to get it back the way it was, I'd skip it but would make sure the "primer" really is primer colored paint underneath for longevity.