Author Topic: 70 barracuda  (Read 1270 times)

Offline 440_72cuda

70 barracuda
« on: October 14, 2005 - 12:12:23 AM »
i came across a 70 barracuda today, i heard from a guy that his mother owns a original 70 AAR cuda so we drive out there its just a plain barracuda and auto :'(, his mother bought the cuda when it was new so there is probally no chance of buying this car off her. the car has been sitting there for about 20 years because it was burning to much oil.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005 - 10:00:46 AM by 4cruzin »

Offline 440_72cuda

Re: 70 barracuda
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005 - 12:18:49 AM »
more
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005 - 04:22:40 PM by Rev-It-Up »

Offline Blackcuda

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005 - 07:49:31 AM »
Nice find!!! Hope she will sell it to you.

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005 - 08:43:59 AM »
I personally am not too big on blue interior cars but that thing looks VERY straight. To find one that has never left the original owners hands? Just unheard of.  ls probably numbers matching to boot!  Helluva cool prospect - good luck with it
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005 - 10:02:37 AM »
Wow nice find.  Those pics were about life size . . . I made them alittle smaller for our dial up members!  To bad the car has to just sit there and rot!

Offline Hemi Challenger

• Nothing run better then a HEMI
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005 - 12:36:30 PM »
Nice fine, It to bad she is just letting it sit there and rust away

Offline 440_72cuda

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005 - 12:51:08 PM »
its one of those people "yea i am going to fix it up one day"

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005 - 04:23:52 PM »
That's sad!  Looks like it could be a really great project. 
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline cooda

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005 - 08:28:59 PM »
The picture of the VIN plate is not too clear, but it appears that the tip of the Pentastar (5th digit in the VIN) points to an "F". If this is correct, the car is an original  318 2-Barrel, which is consistent with the "Barracuda" badge on the rear of the car.

What is really cool about the numbers on a Mopar is that the 5th digit tells what the original motor was. Good for folks wanting to verify the original engine, bad for slimey folks doing a clone and trying to pass it off as original. That is unless somebody is into fabricating VIN tags, which to me is almost as bad as child molesting (and illegal). Unlike old Chevys and Corvettes, where the VIN tells nothing about the car except the sequence it was built. Plenty of bogus 67 Corvettes out there with 427 engines. Much tougher to forge a Mopar.

These E-bodies (particularly 70's and MORE particularly 71's) are drying up- if you are thinking about buying one in reasonable shape, stop thinking and buy it. It will be worth a lot more in a few years.

Charles
70 black/black "R" Code Hemicuda, automatic, Super Trac Pac 4.10 Dana, pdb
67 Top Flight Corvette 4 speed silver small block #s roadster
2002 6 speed silver Pontiac Trans Am SLP Firehawk
2008 Red Z06 Corvette
2002 Blue Lexus SC-430 retractable HT- Wife's car

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005 - 10:42:35 PM »
I would love to get this car myself.  Would love to talk to the mom and see what she says.  I would tell her that I own a Barracuda myself and it would be even better to drive up in it and then talk to her.  I know that it really makes a difference to most Cuda and Barracuda owners that you own one or are driving one.  That sure looks like a good project and it really looks straight.

Gordon
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Bondavi

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005 - 11:03:25 PM »

Cooda, the 5th digit is actually a 'G', which as you said denotes the 318-2bbl.

If the lady thinks she's going to fix it up 'one day' she better get her ass in gear otherwise the car will be far too rusted out and she will be left with the exorbitant price of bodywork, in which she will probably bail out and sell the hulk of metal to the shop foreman for $500. Seen it happen too many times.

The moist grass the car is parked on just accelerates the rusting. I have an all-original '65 Mustang I rescued that *was* rust free for 30 years from my idiot cousin who left it in tall grass for 2 years and it began rusting! See the pic in which the driver's door glass shows moisture inside? AGGH! The horror! The sacrilege!
David

'70 Challenger R/T FC7 440-6 4spd N96 3.54 Dana - SOLD

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005 - 11:32:48 PM »
Nice find!  I'm sure you would love to see that car fall into your hands!  I know I would!  Keep after it, never know when she'll want to get rid of it!

Very true cooda.  Unless you find a build sheet on a GM, there's not a whole lot to go on, unlike our cool fender tags, but actually starting in1972 the VIN will state the code for cubic inch displacement and carburater ( 2vs 4bbl).  But Pontiac has something on thier side that we don't.  Pontiac Historic Services I believe has all the FACTORY paper work on file so if you give them a VIN they will send you all the production info on your car, if I'm not mistaken.  But very true.  Prior the '72 it was really hard to tell what the car originally started life as.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline cooda

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005 - 12:17:52 AM »
I have a numbers matching 67 (Small block 327- not the big block that is so often a mid-year Corvette forgery) Corvette convertible. These cars didn't have build sheets, but tank stickers (on the gas tank and hard to get to look at) showing the engine and all the options. But on Mopars, there are plenty of people out there who will make you a fender tag. The beauty of Chrysler Corporation  is that they put the engine right into the VIN, and therefore the VIN tag.  Not only that, the VIN was stamped really deep into the block, unlike Chevys, where this was lightly stamped on a pad the front and on top of of the block next to where the  head attaches- very easy to grind the block and restamp new numbers.

Neither GM or Chrysler had the collector car hobby in mind when they decided how to do these things, but I think it turned out better for these Dodges and Plymouths. If only Chrysler would have thought a little more about rust prevention!!!!

Charles
70 black/black "R" Code Hemicuda, automatic, Super Trac Pac 4.10 Dana, pdb
67 Top Flight Corvette 4 speed silver small block #s roadster
2002 6 speed silver Pontiac Trans Am SLP Firehawk
2008 Red Z06 Corvette
2002 Blue Lexus SC-430 retractable HT- Wife's car

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005 - 12:53:29 AM »
Pontiac Historic Services I believe has all the FACTORY paper work on file so if you give them a VIN they will send you all the production info on your car, if I'm not mistaken.

Right, Back when I did GTOs I sent away for those Vin files several times and they were great. One of the cars I bought turned out to be an original 455 HO car

I am sure glad I went to Mopars though...

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2005 - 08:44:32 PM »
Too bad to see old blue put out to pasture like that just for usin' a little more oil than she should. Did you try and pick her up? 
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger