I Don't Know

Author Topic: I Don't Know  (Read 4481 times)

Offline 04lbram

I Don't Know
« on: October 14, 2005 - 09:25:20 AM »
To All,

Hello fellow board. I’m coming on here today to ask for advice and some wisdom from those who may have been in my shoes at one point or another. Anyways, I’m kind at a difficult time in my life right now. Right now I’m trying to make some choices in my life and not sure where I want to go with it exactly. I’m currently in the Air Force but, next year I will out of a job. I’ve been in for over five years now. The reason for this being is because I listened to my parents and my mother specifically is still trying to be very controlling of my life. In fact, I’m an only child in the family so most of my life I’ve been told what to do and not able to live my life to until last year when I finally start to live life a little and when I finally got the bank account turned over in my name. But, one of the downfalls is I’m still trying to pick up the pieces of my life. My mom didn’t allow me to date really until I was almost 20 years old, wouldn’t let me get a job until I was 18, couldn’t have any friends because most of the time she was so moody and hateful and she took it out on me and my dad, wouldn’t allow me to do anything really until I joined the Air Force and then I didn’t get the job I was guaranteed and then she starts to put the guilt trip on me which stressed me out because of the pull she has on my dad to a certain extent and then I just kind of gave into the stress and I didn’t put in a job reservation for my job in the Active Duty Air Force because they were constantly causing me problems about that. Anyways, if that was to beat it all I met my now ex at the time cheated on my me and took most of my money from me. And now here I am almost 25 years old and not sure where to go at with my life. The Air Force is saying I can’t reenlist because they’re downsizing anyways and I wouldn’t consider joining any other branch of service because I’ve had friends in the other branches and know what they’re quality of life is like compared to the Air Force.
     Anyways, right now I’m just making payments to pay off my Dakota and then pay most of my Challenger down possibly unless someone wants to trade me a nice A-Body or B-Body or something. Then of course I’ve got that 04 Ram that was kind of my ex’s truck that I’m paying for so I don’t know. My life is just one big mess I’m trying to sort through things. So, anyways I really don’t have a family and I don’t have many friends here because most people hate being here in North Dakota where it’s mostly farmland and the economic development is less than par so they leave to move elsewhere. I’m just trying to figure out things but, its kind of hard when you’re in between a rock and hard place. Anyways, I guess I just ask for everyone’s prayers in this hard. I know it could be worse but, I don’t know. I’m just trying to find light at the end of the tunnel somehow. Well take care all. I’m going to go do some things. Have a good day.
71 Dodge Challenger R/T Clone; 383 Big Block with a few goodies and good ole 14" Slot Rims

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: I Don't Know
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005 - 09:49:26 AM »
Well the first thing you need to do is  . . . always keep moving forward.  Sometimes it's funny how life unfolds and things kind of workout for themselves.  So what kind of work are you qualified to do??  There are many opportunities out there for a 25 year old male.  Sounds like you are just looking for some direction.  I guess my question for you is . . . what does 04lbram want??     If ya ask me . . . sound like your life is just getting started and  . . . it's GO time!!   
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005 - 12:27:40 PM by 4cruzin »

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005 - 11:09:37 AM »
I was a little younger than yourself when I went through some of what you are and a little different circumstance.  Not knowing what I wanted to do was frustrating (I was 20 at the time) and unhappy in engineering school.  Engineering was loosing its luster to me and I started to think that wasn't what I wanted to do my whole life so I dropped out of school.  Immediately I started to brainstorm on the top five jobs that did interest me, then I narrowed it down to one.  That was an EMT.  BUT, then one day it just hit me.  I have loved computers since I was very young, good at programming already, and I enjoyed it.  It took me two months to figure this out and I was also jobless.  I needed to find a job soon, had to work with going back to school, and I wanted to try to get as close to my new chosen career.  Realistically, I new I wasn't going to go out and get a job programming the next day so I just got into a company working in the IT department doing menial jobs at night.  The pay wasn't great, but I was able to work my way up over the next 5 years and learned a lot.  At 25 years old is when I felt confident enough to jump ship to a better paying job with another company.  Since then everything has happened very well for me.  But my two points are don’t be afraid of taking a lower paying job to gain experience (you will be amazed at how much you can learn in one to two years) and also that most of the time the answers to your questions are right in front of you.  You might be looking so hard you are looking over or past them.

Like 4cruzin said, keep moving forward... just in the direction you want to go and things will work out.   Don't feel like a 25 year old male should have everything together either.  For me, at 25 I was still having fun and just starting down that path to becoming established.  I didn't meet the girl I want to spend my life with until I was 31 either.

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005 - 12:05:05 PM »
Bram.

It's never esay to go in any direction in life but the excitement of never knowing whats up around the corner can help in propelling you forward. Don't look back on what could have been just move forward with what will make you happy. Choose a path to follow and go with it. You can always go down a different road if you don't like the one your on.

Good luck
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005 - 12:20:37 PM »
It may be difficult to understand this:............but you are actually at a great time/opportunity in your life. If you have enough time left in your current elistment time before you will be discharged (which I can't fully understand, especially if you don't wish to be) I would spend hours on the web looking at vaious job opportunities/placement sites. Pick a few in order of your expertise and liking (no matter what part of the country they may be in) then put in a transfer request to the nearest base to those location, in otherwords, if possible let the Air Force move you as close as possible to that possible job market. But no matter what, don't move back home, sounds cruel but that situation is one that I personally believe you do not want to renew!

You are 25, single, and except for a couple finiancial responsibilities you can do and go wherever you wish. You do find yourself in an unusual circumstance, but on the otherside of the situation you are in a near perfect situation to do what YOU want to do. This is not a put down............but take TOTAL responsibility and control of YOUR life, it is your choice and your responsibility. Life may have not been perfect up to this point, but from here on it is your decision. But thank you for sharing and hopefully some of the imput will assist you in your decision making, but THEY are YOUR decisions. Best of luck, and we do care,........this "family" here is special and you are a part of it friend! - Jim
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005 - 12:49:10 PM »
Good advise guys!  Gotta keep the chin up.  Think of it as you have a good oppurtunity to start fresh.  You don't have to put so much pressure on yourself.  Too much pressure will get you depressed and frustrated.  Too little and you won't push yourself to do anything.  Just have to sit down and start making a plan.

As HemiDog said also, I too was in a, "What do I do situation" before when I was 20.  I too was doing engineering (mechanical), dropped out in the middle of the 1st year. Also at the time the girlfriend of 2.5 years I found out was cheating on me, I was stuck working in a restaurant that my parents managed and thought that I would still be there when I'm 65 years old.  I said to myself, "what kind of life is this???"  

That's when I made a plan.  Like HemiDog, I asked myself what interests me.  CARS!  I always loved cars so I said why not make my hobby into a career.  I went to automechanic school, graduated top of my class.  Got  started as a lube guy at a Texaco, moved to an Acura Dealership doing oil changes and prepping cars, then in about 9 months I became one of the service department foremen.

I got "bored" as I didn't want to get into management.  (plus my back and knees were starting to hurt!)  I used to bring in church member's cars on shop night to fix them for just the cost of the parts, the I decided I wanted to not only help people with thier cars, but help them directly.  

So at age 25 (your age) I went back to school to get my bachelor's degree in Nursing (Tried Pre-Med but it was really tough to get into school).  Graduated, got a good job at Massachusetts General Hospital and now I'm in Home Care.

I'm just telling you this to show you it's not to late but it needs to take some planning.  You may have to make some sacraficing, though.  I sold a convertible '68 Pontiac Lemans to help pay for school.  (State school, it was cheaper!)  I still regret it but at the time I said to myself, One day I can get a car all fixed up or won't need as much work.  Ta Da!  Got my Challenger now!  I said I had to get rid of some of my "toys" to pay for school and to help me focus on school.  (Focusing helped a lot, as I graduated as President of my Nursing Class.  And yes I'm a guy!  All 225lbs of me!)  

Can you sell your ex's Ram?

Also, at age 25, I met my now wife, of 11 years, at the church I go to.  I thank God always for all my blessings!

I have a friend that is only child that has a very controlling and bitter mom also.  Success doesn't have to do with it.  You MAY not have to do with it.  It may have to do with how your mom was treated as a child.  My friend is a succesful, good looking Physical Therapist, drives a $33k Acura TL, but his mom still treats him, and his dad, poorly.  It had to do with the way her mother treated her.  It doesn't justify how she treats others, but sometimes if you understand why people are the way they are it makes it a tad bit easier.  

I explained to my frien that his mom wasn't just his mom.  She is her own humanbeing that hurts and bleed like him.  As a child, often we are always looking for the parent to be the nurturing one, but sometimes the parent needs to be nurtured and understood too.  That's when the child becomes the adult of the family.

Separating from your mom distance wise doesn't always cure the problem.  Do you live at home now or will you have to/can you go home for a bit to get back up on your feet?  Do you have friends/relatives outside of North Dakota that you can stay with for school?  Any scholarships?

Best wishes, hope all goes well!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

beamtallica

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005 - 05:56:02 PM »
Well i feel your pain. I dont want to get in to detail about what i did(but if you want to know,PM me). But i will say this. When i was ready to give up, i gave my life to Christ. The BEST thing i've ever done! Now im not going to beat you over the head with it, but i would say turn to him. As far as a job? Well what are you good at? What do you like to do? I like cars and painting, so im now in auto body. Take some time to really look at your self. What makes you,you. What holds you down? What do you love to do and love most? Find thes thing out, and take them on one by one. It's not easy alone So the board and I will help out as much as we can.

Offline HEMI HUNTER

• SERIOUS H.P.IS REALLY COOL
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005 - 08:07:37 PM »
chin up........your young, got marketable skills, the world is your oyster.  (what?)  seriously good luck think positive good things willl come
Why are the only other cars on the road all in my rear view mirror?  Oh yeah cause I got a 440/6 pack

Thank you GOD for the "Go Fast Division"

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005 - 08:33:55 PM »
You're wrong when you say you don't have a family.  You have us.

dodgetkboy78

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005 - 09:41:04 PM »
Keep on pluggin, thats what I do.
Been there, cheatin wife, ect, ect...................................

Offline 04lbram

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2005 - 10:40:52 PM »
Hey I just wanted to thank to all of though who have looked and replied. Anyways, I keep on going on somehow. I don't know how I continue to do it but, I do. I know probably a lot of people on this board think I'm a loser although I'm not sure though. Anyways, this is the only place that I would prefer to vent because of some of things I see posted on here and because there is older people here as well. Anyways, I'll try to write more tomorrow but, for now I'll just leave with this. I don't expect people to feel sorry for me. More than anything I would love for things to change but, its hard to see the light of day even when trying your best. Take care and have a good night.
71 Dodge Challenger R/T Clone; 383 Big Block with a few goodies and good ole 14" Slot Rims

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2005 - 11:36:13 PM »
Dude!  You're not a loser.  Don't you think we all have our own issues? 

This is a great place to vent!  It is posted posted under"Other Mopars/Off Topic", not "Cudas & Challengers Galore"  LOL!

Just have to tackle thing one at a time.  Can't take on the whole restoration of a Challenger in 1 day.  Gotta do it one piece at a time. 

Take care and goodnight.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

dodgetkboy78

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2005 - 12:16:18 AM »
Hey I just wanted to thank to all of though who have looked and replied. Anyways, I keep on going on somehow. I don't know how I continue to do it but, I do. I know probably a lot of people on this board think I'm a loser although I'm not sure though. Anyways, this is the only place that I would prefer to vent because of some of things I see posted on here and because there is older people here as well. Anyways, I'll try to write more tomorrow but, for now I'll just leave with this. I don't expect people to feel sorry for me. More than anything I would love for things to change but, its hard to see the light of day even when trying your best. Take care and have a good night.

Loser my butt.
Sounds like you just ran into a dead end, that's all. Things will get turned around for you, as long as you don't get down.

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2005 - 01:00:17 AM »
If you only knew the personal details of my life, you wouldn't be so quick to feel like your's is so bad.  However, there is a time and place for everything, and this is neither the time nor the place to tell you my personal demons, which I have to fight everyday, and probably will continue to have to for the rest of my life.  We all have our problems.  BUT, our problems do not define who we are.  Rather, how we choose to deal with these problems is what makes us.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2005 - 01:46:55 AM »
to me it sounds like most of your life you have not been able to make you own discisions & now you can which can be scary But it is a Huge opportunity you will make some bad discisions .. we all do but we all learn from bad discisions & make far better discisions because of that
 There are tons of opportunites start trying a few different things to see what direction you want ot go in & Have FUN !!!

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t