Car Show Displays/Judging

Author Topic: Car Show Displays/Judging  (Read 3130 times)

Offline Johnny Cuda

Car Show Displays/Judging
« on: October 15, 2005 - 08:22:19 PM »
Had a funny thing happen this weekend at Mopar Madness today. I finally finished my car last weekend, put her in Mopar Madness Car Show this weekend in the E-body modified class. It just so happens it was the last show in a point series where the grand prize for most points in the series (5 total shows) was a $500.00 dollar check. Well my car was lookin pretty darn good and after havin judged many shows in my day I thought I had first place hands down. Well as the judging starts I notice the series point leader (who also owned a E-body in the modified class, same as I entered, was judging not only my car but all other e-body's. Well at the end of the show who do you think takes first place in the class and susequently the most points in the series, you guessed it the Judge and the point series leader. Needless to say his seats had rips, paint was scrathed, body was wavy, and the engine compartment was dirty.

As I'm gettin ready to leave I guess he feels compelled to come and talk to me, he tells me that my car would have won but the reason I lost to him was because I didn't have a display. When I say display I mean these people hauled tons of crap out of their houses and put it all around their cars. There were stuffed animals, pictures of naked women, tons of trophy's, car manuals, scrap books, models of their cars on top of their air cleaners, etc..  Well I told the point leader that I was fine with taking second place and as far as Trophys were concerned I had boxes of them in my attic so I was not sweatin it. Only thing is I'm confused now do most shows judge the cars and displays or still just the cars??

Now for your opinions,

a. Should a display be part of the judging criteria?? Back when I judged cars I judged the car not the junk around it.

b. Should someone be a judge in their own class??

Let me know what you think.

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
Re: Car Show Displays/Judging
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005 - 08:48:17 PM »
The answer is No and No

Since when do you get judged on how well the display you build around your car looks. Cars should be judge for the car and the car only and not what kind of designer flair you have with a stuffed Barney
On my 2nd No. It just looks bad if your judgeing in your class and you win at best it looks like a tainted win even if you scored someone higher than yourself. I would not want to be part of judgeing myself.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005 - 09:09:44 PM by Tropicalcats »
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005 - 09:07:22 PM »
I completely agree with T-cats!  I go to look at the cars, not the crap.  I rather drop kick all the jusnk out of the way.  And judging your own car is like judging your wife at a beauty contest, she may not be the prettiest, but you'd still better vote for her.
{oo/===\oo}

Offline 71GTX

• It's a fine line between a hobby & mental illness!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005 - 09:23:46 PM »
Its too bad when a display will make or break a decision in car judging. What's being judged, the car or the display?? I probably dont want to hear the answer....
69 RoadRunner (clone)
70 Cuda 383 4 speed (project) one of the first few off the line at Hamtramck with a 1017XX VIN
70 Cuda convertible 340 4 speed (project)
70 Barracuda (project)
71 GTX 440 4 speed (project)
72 Cuda 340 3 speed (project)
3 Harleys
95 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

Expensive Pee is the end result of Expensive Beer!

dodgetkboy78

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005 - 11:43:10 PM »
Sounds like a stupid reason to me. Is he also a judge for that show, whats it called? "Queer eye for the strait guy"?

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005 - 12:44:19 AM »
Big fat NOs to both.  Judging should be based on the CAR.  Not what else the owner has.  Neither should a car show entrant be allowed to judge cars in his class.

Offline Face

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005 - 04:01:02 AM »
No. The car should stand alone when being judged.

No one should ever be a judge in their own class.

A display can be judged if there is a class for "Best Presentation".
a swell guy from Warren Harding High.

Offline Johnny Cuda

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005 - 08:20:58 AM »
Seems like were all on the same page, I hadn't shown a car or judged a show in over 7 years so I thought I was missin something. Good to know that the hobby hasn't changed all that much. I was gettin worried cause I 'm tryin to get rid of all the clutter around my house not haul it around to car shows.

;D

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005 - 10:01:25 AM »
Sounds like a bunch of Bullsh!t to me! 

Offline camjam

• Rare-it-T
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005 - 10:13:31 AM »
I would say no to both in a normal participants show. It sounds like they were trying to do a points system with a participants system. Can't be done
In a judged points system there are some points given for presentation. This is the way the car shows overall and information about the car. The presentation part generally counts for a small portion out of the total points. Also if it is a points system there is more than one judge for each class. Usually 3 - 4 judges each looking at particular areas of the car ie interior, engine, body etc. So even if an owner is judging in his own class which shouldn'r happen there are other judges to balance the bias of the owner.
71 Challenger R/T 383 4spd - 1 of 10 known to have been built for canada - restored
70 Charger R/T SE 440 auto - restored

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2005 - 04:04:20 PM »
NO way should a person be able to judge cars in the class they have a car....NO way!

As far as presentation, i think some of that stuff is cool, but it should not enter into the car's judging unless there is a "presentation" criteria.

Add the fact that e body trunks are not much more than a glorified additional glove compartment. Not much room for us to haul around a bunch of stuff like that

Offline R/T

• Johnson City TN
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2005 - 04:13:34 PM »
No and No
I have asked people to move their junk so I could look at the car. I really don't want to see stuffed animals and such junk I am there to see the car. If I wanted to see dolls and stuffed animals I could go to Toys-R-Us
1973 Challenger (OO/=====\OO)  440 
Hemis and Harleys
2008 Dodge Ram Big Horn Edition  5.7 Hemi

Offline 74MOPAR

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2005 - 04:15:34 PM »
 I like car shows much better that are "participants choice".  Every person who registered a car in the show gets a bunch of tear-offs.
 Each car has an envelope on the windshield. Decide which is the best car in the class, and put your tear-off for that class in that envelope.

This way people who actually brought cars vote.  I wouldn't want to be in a judged class [ unless you learn something incorrect about your car ]

Maybe this kinda stuff is why I'd rather RACE my car, than hang out with the dust brush all day. The clock / win light doesn't lie.

It was called "Mopar Madness" ,  not" Mopar Seriousness"...... :-X
74 'Cuda + 73 Charger Rally + $$ + assembly= Noble M400
 03 Ram Hemi 4x4
 78 Aspen Super Coupe

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2005 - 05:32:14 PM »
That is just wrong on both counts!  We just went to a car show yesterday and saw all the spinning cars on the air cleaners and 3 feet worth of trophies sitting in front of the car (how can the judge see anything is beyond me!).  I never saw the judge take even an instant to look at all the froo-froo that was displayed around their cars.  He went to work looking at the CAR!!! After the show, we asked for a copy of our judging sheet just out of curiosity...he said he would mail it to us this week.  It will be interesting to see if the lack of display really hurt us.

And as far as judging your own car???  Come-on...if that procedure really worked, they would let students grade their own papers in school!  That's just rediculous!  He should have declined judging or declined showing his car!  You can't do both.
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2005 - 07:48:26 PM »
NO way should a person be able to judge cars in the class they have a car....NO way!

As far as presentation, i think some of that stuff is cool, but it should not enter into the car's judging unless there is a "presentation" criteria.

Add the fact that e body trunks are not much more than a glorified additional glove compartment. Not much room for us to haul around a bunch of stuff like that

exactly!   
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat