a phone call from the man

Author Topic: a phone call from the man  (Read 6208 times)

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
Re: a phone call from the man
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2005 - 02:27:48 PM »
I wonder if it was a Hurricane Katrina thing?,also wonder how many other classic cars were lost in that area

Interesting thought. between Katrina and Rita no tlling how many we lost.
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline inot2old

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2005 - 03:34:21 PM »
Interesting thought. between Katrina and Rita no tlling how many we lost.

MPC mag this month mentions one of their former cover cars that was under 6 ft of water for at least 2 weeks after Katrina.
'71 Cuda 

'70 Charger project
'05 Crossfire Roadster

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2005 - 03:51:57 PM »
MPC mag this month mentions one of their former cover cars that was under 6 ft of water for at least 2 weeks after Katrina.
The only brite side is maybe we lost a few hundred Ferd Mustangs in the Flood:+)
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2005 - 03:57:10 PM »
(snicker, snicker)
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline CUDAMAN1970

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2005 - 04:22:23 PM »
The story on the car is the guy who owned it bought it when he was a teenager (he's in his 40s now) and hot rodded around in it for a few years.  He parked it in the 90s in a shed on his property.  When the building started to fall down, he moved it to a newer machine shed.  Unfortunately, the shed was built in the flood plane and eventually the car got flooded (probably more than once).  The guy does not have much money and could never afford to restore the car.  He and his wife were talking about putting it up for sale, and one day his wife called it in for sale on Tradio (a radio call in show for listeners to advertise stuff for sale).  They never set a price at that time.

After receiving many calls, they decide to take offers on it and the highest offer would get the car.  Me and a friend of mine went down to look at it, and with the owners permission, tried to move it a little to get a look underneath it.  I decided to pass on it because it would be too expensive to restore for me.  Looks like Galen ended up putting in the highest bid on it.

Offline HEMI HUNTER

• SERIOUS H.P.IS REALLY COOL
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2005 - 06:06:56 PM »
I'm thinking it will take months for all the removed and insurance claims cars to then be auctioned off .  I think cars and boats and such are taken to large areas, cataloged for the insurance and owner then sold .   I'm probably wrong .
Why are the only other cars on the road all in my rear view mirror?  Oh yeah cause I got a 440/6 pack

Thank you GOD for the "Go Fast Division"

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2005 - 08:12:13 PM »
.  I think cars and boats and such are taken to large areas, cataloged for the insurance and owner then sold .   I'm probably wrong .
You know whith a little imagination you could have a Cuda-Boat:+),but we already know it dont float,what a shame to see a Cuda get that little respect.Guess its just another person holdin on to something "they will restore one day"instead of parting with it when it would be a easier resto
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline Bondavi

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2005 - 09:48:51 PM »
After receiving many calls, they decide to take offers on it and the highest offer would get the car. Looks like Galen ended up putting in the highest bid on it.

If it is true as you tell it, that was a lame move for Govier to think he could get a '71 cheaply for a $150K Hemi clone and then find out it was too far gone, and then try to unload it. Moneybags, my friend, how money does corrupt.
David

'70 Challenger R/T FC7 440-6 4spd N96 3.54 Dana - SOLD

Offline HEMI HUNTER

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2005 - 07:45:17 AM »
cudaman1970  THANK YOU !!  thats why this is the best site on the web.  I will now call Galen and explain how this was a shady move
and that I will tell the story  as part of normal MOPAR talk at shows etc.    unless  he says taake the car and shut up  ;)
Why are the only other cars on the road all in my rear view mirror?  Oh yeah cause I got a 440/6 pack

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2005 - 07:48:29 AM »

I wonder if Galen ever visits these sites.....lots of VIN numbers etc splashed around here...
I saw on the Charger board or some MoPar board that Jesse James from Monster Garage was a member. Pretty neat....

Also a few other celebs.........Wonder if we have any on board??? (Dun-dun dun dunnnnnnnnnn)
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2005 - 08:06:22 AM »
OK NZ, you busted me out !

I am famous ( well at least in my own mind )  Hehehe

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2005 - 09:02:48 AM »

I wonder if Galen ever visits these sites.....lots of VIN numbers etc splashed around here...
I saw on the Charger board or some MoPar board that Jesse James from Monster Garage was a member. Pretty neat....

Also a few other celebs.........Wonder if we have any on board??? (Dun-dun dun dunnnnnnnnnn)
Hey my name is Garth,that should account for sumthin,right?Even though I couldnt hold a tune in a bucket,I am a country music fan,lol
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

beamtallica

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2005 - 12:06:01 PM »
Hay HEMI HUNTER, Do you still have that b5 71 barracuda?

Offline HEMI HUNTER

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2005 - 07:42:02 PM »
it still resides at larry's , I'm on the installment plan.  the more I find the less I owe

beamtallica

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2005 - 08:57:18 PM »
Thats cool. If for what ever resone you diside to sell it or something. let me know,(im a little $better$ than i was)