Underside questions

Author Topic: Underside questions  (Read 2697 times)

Offline peterro

• 70 Challenger in progress...
    • The Pistonhead
Underside questions
« on: October 27, 2005 - 11:47:15 PM »
Paint is nearly ready to go on the car and I was wondering what everyone thought about the underside of the car.  I was thinking of simply undercoating and painting black.  I'm intending on driving the car (summer fun, not daily) and would like it to be nice.  I don't want to be a trailer queen.

Thoughts?

Offline pettybluecuda

• www.cudaregistry.com
    • 70-74 barracuda-cuda' registry
Re: Underside questions
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005 - 12:26:39 AM »
The 440-6 challenger im doing is going to be painted black, It will be driven. I like to keep how the factory had it but its not the bast for driving, here a picture of how the factory had it.
jesse lee

Offline Mopar73340

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005 - 05:53:29 AM »
I also chose to paint mine black, I used Eastwood rust preventive paint.
73-Challenger 340 727/GearVendors Auto
73-Challenger 408 Pistol-Grip 5-speed

Offline cooda

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005 - 09:13:29 PM »
Somebody told me the underside was dark grey primer from the factory, but with plenty of overspray from the exterior paint. The overspray is sure there in those pictures.
70 black/black "R" Code Hemicuda, automatic, Super Trac Pac 4.10 Dana, pdb
67 Top Flight Corvette 4 speed silver small block #s roadster
2002 6 speed silver Pontiac Trans Am SLP Firehawk
2008 Red Z06 Corvette
2002 Blue Lexus SC-430 retractable HT- Wife's car

Offline peterro

• 70 Challenger in progress...
    • The Pistonhead
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005 - 10:39:13 PM »
Hmm.. well black seems like the right thing to do.  I understand the original overspray look, but I've already blown that by powder coating all the suspension parts black instead of bare metal.  My car isn't going to be a concourse car.

Offline pettybluecuda

• www.cudaregistry.com
    • 70-74 barracuda-cuda' registry
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005 - 09:35:45 AM »
 I  would agree if you are going to be driving it i would paint it black, im not sure how much just the primer will protect it. Eather way it will look good, and if anyone looks down there and says other wise kick them in the rear well there looking. (  :) ) lol well good luck!
later,
Jesse lee

Offline GEORGIA CUDA

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005 - 01:27:24 PM »
What about instead of black paint for the underside, why not use a gray paint that is the color of the primer?  You get the protection and easy wipe off of paint and more of an original look to boot.   I know the gray paint would be a little glossier than primer, but it would be closer than black.  Just a thought.......

Jason

Offline cooda

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005 - 07:39:25 PM »
I think I may have been wrong (or the person who told me was wrong) about the dark grey primer. I talked to a guy who restores these cars and he says the dark grey primer was only on cars through 69, and the E-bodies were painted body color underneath. He says that the lacquer used from the factory did little to prevent rust and that is a big reason why these cars were such rust-buckets.
70 black/black "R" Code Hemicuda, automatic, Super Trac Pac 4.10 Dana, pdb
67 Top Flight Corvette 4 speed silver small block #s roadster
2002 6 speed silver Pontiac Trans Am SLP Firehawk
2008 Red Z06 Corvette
2002 Blue Lexus SC-430 retractable HT- Wife's car

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005 - 03:36:15 PM »
I know my '73 was completely painted in the F-9 dark metallic green, but I can't be sure if they did the same for the earlier model years.
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline 70Cuda

• 70 Cuda 383 70 Challenger 440+6 71 Challenger 383
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2005 - 12:12:56 AM »
I questioned Galen on this subject at Carlise this year and the only paint underneath is primer and overspray.  Here's a picture of mine that I scrapped undercoating off of.  My car is FE5 Ralley Red and if you look at the picture, you can see that it does in fact transition from red paint to redish/brown primer.  That had me fooled into thinking the whole thing was painted body color underneath and it isn't.

However, I did powder coat all the suspension and did pain the underside body color, and I drive the car (1500 a year max) and the body color underneath really has been pretty good but I do have a lift and can keep it clean underneath too.

So, I don't think black is right unless you have a black car and it's only the overspray that would be right unless of course, you have black undercoating.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006 - 01:15:09 PM by Rev-It-Up »

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2005 - 03:24:59 AM »
Hmm.. well black seems like the right thing to do.  I understand the original overspray look, but I've already blown that by powder coating all the suspension parts black instead of bare metal.  My car isn't going to be a concourse car.

Paint it black mate, if your going to do what these cars were made for........paint it black. :-)
Here's a couple of terrible shots of my underside about 6-7 months ago (band angles). Will get some better shots later down the track.

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2005 - 07:33:23 AM »
My 70 came with this pale greenish colored paint or primer underneath and inside.