70 to 71 cosmetic conversion?

Author Topic: 70 to 71 cosmetic conversion?  (Read 1283 times)

Offline cudacharlie

• 70 Cuda convert, 70 Charger R/T
70 to 71 cosmetic conversion?
« on: October 29, 2005 - 12:16:02 AM »
Okay, so my '70 'Cuda clone convertible (originally 318 blue granny ride, now 440-4, 727, lime+black) is definitely gonna get torn down and built up this year....  and I'm thinking seriously of converting it over to 1971 cosmetics, since I love the colored-bumper-colored-cheesegrater-grille look.....

Does anybody know what all is different between '70 and '71 Cudas, besides the obvious grille, header panel, front valence + insert, parking lights, headlights, headlight rings, and other stuff you can see?  I'm talking about headlight buckets, bumper brackets, and all that other behind-the-grille hardware...

Also, could I just use my '70 fenders and have them "gilled", or are '71 fenders actually different?  And what about "hemi fenders"?  What is that all about?

Or should I just forget about the whole thing?  Since I need to get a new or restored grille, valence, and taillights anyway, I figured why not go all the way? 

Anybody done this?  Opinions?  Am I out of my mind?  (probably!)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005 - 01:00:39 AM by cudacharlie »
70 Cuda convert
70 Charger R/T
06 Magnum SRT8

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: 70 to 71 cosmetic conversion?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005 - 01:16:14 AM »
Well you hit most the big ones.  The grill will cost big dollars.  The fenders are the same and the gills are just stamped.  The bumper brackets in the front are the same on the 2 years.  The head light buckets are attached to the grill and the rest of the hardware should be the same. 

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005 - 10:33:59 AM »
The fenders are not the same.
The insert that is welded into the front of the fender is shaped different for the dual headlamp setup. Strangely enough, this part on a 71 fender is the same as the insert on the 72 up fender. You have two options, find a bad 72 up fender and remove the headlamp insert and weld it in the 70 fender or alter the insert in the 70 fender by cutting and welding a pocket. You then have to buy a set of the headlamp mounts which are being reproduced now. They run around $400 or $500 a set.  You will also need two grille mounts. They too are being reproduced. As for gills, we've gone over this before. You can either have the fenders punched or buy the gill panels from Tony's Parts or P&G Classics. The entire set of repro gills, retainers and patch panels runs around $600. Punching the fenders and buying the repro gills and retainers runs around $800. Of course there's the cost of getting the fenders to the guy to punch. The grille will run around $3000 for a nice one and the header panel is different as well. The valance and park lamps are different as is the insert. A set of original park lamps and new repro lenses run around $500 and an original valance runs around the same price. I saw where someone is supposed to repro these items in the next year or two. The total cost to convert the front end would run you around $5500 to $6500. On the rear, all you need to do is change the taillights. The tail panels are identical. The only difference is the location of the cuda name. It's higher on a 71 and has the "by plymouth" emblem below it.
One odd thing about these cars is while the 70 and 71 look cosmetically the same with the same side markers, etc, the 71 floor and structure is really more like the 72 up cars. Even the left inner fender is the same from 71 up. The 70 is different near the battery.
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline cudacharlie

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005 - 11:21:33 AM »
Wow!  Thanks for the info  hotrod98... Much knowledge you have, Obi-Wan! 

The main reason I'd even consider doing something like this is that my girl FORBIDS me to sell the 'Cuda (what a gal, eh?) so swapping up to a '71 ain't gonna happen, and there's never gonna be enough spare cash laying around to have BOTH, so....

PG classic has the potmetal buckets for the parking lights, and L and P claim to be readying a grille, and there IS that guy on ebay selling the Fresno repop grille, so things are looking better for '71 cosmetics.

My '70 grille is cracked, with missing bars, and would need an expensive trip to AllTrim, and along with my pitted taillight chrome and chipped bezels, tweaked front valence and broken valence insert, means I need almost a whole new front clip anyway! 

I have a couple of months to think about it, as I am waiting for the Goodmark quarters to be available before we start, and maybe by then more 71 parts will be repro'd.  Is this a ridiculous scheme?  Should I just dress up the 70 clone and be happy?  Hmmmm.... restlessness sets in....
70 Cuda convert
70 Charger R/T
06 Magnum SRT8

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005 - 01:53:15 PM »
Here's my 2 cents worth. 
Even with a repop grille, you won't have near enough parts. There are 21 pieces to the 71 grille. You would only be buying the main grille shell. There are 4 H/L rings. They're available repro. There are 6 different grille inserts. There are 6 grille insert c mldgs and there are 4 grille surround mldgs.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with keeping it as a 70. As you know, the 70 cars are very desirable. I sure wish I had kept my 70 barracuda convert. Luckily I kept my 70 chal convert and I'm putting a crate hemi in it now.
If I were you, I would concentrate on spending that money that you would have used for the 71 conversion and just build a bad to the bone 70 convert. Gene Gregory has the repro elasto bumpers and they look great on the 70's. Maybe the 70 grille repro will be available soon since L & P plans to make them as well.
I just put a shaker hood setup on my 71 cuda this summer and love it. Later, I'm going to buy another crate hemi for it.
It sure would be a lot easier if you just kept it as a 70 model.
Or...you could just sell it to me. lol
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1969 Road Runner Hardtop

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline cudacharlie

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005 - 01:48:15 AM »
LOL!  Admittedly, a late-nite scheme, for sure!  I was just lamenting the fact that '70 grille isn't any easier to find or cheaper than a '71, and since my whole front clip is shaggy, and I was lusting after the color-coded-teeth on the '71...

So, then, it is decided.... ignore the '71 frenzy, and spend the money on the nicest '70 grille I can find, a shakerhood setup and a MoparEnginesWest-built hemi..... 

Hmmm....  I suppose I could live with that  :)   
70 Cuda convert
70 Charger R/T
06 Magnum SRT8

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005 - 09:52:54 AM »
You would be the envy of the neighborhood...for sure.
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1969 Road Runner Hardtop

www.maniacmusclecars.com