Author Topic: How Rare Are These Cars?  (Read 2895 times)

Offline 04lbram

How Rare Are These Cars?
« on: October 30, 2005 - 11:00:45 AM »
Well, I know you guys have been facing some harder times in my life but, anyways I'm kind of an invester type of guy now. Anyways, I've been thinking of getting rid of my 04 Ram because mainly because its getting up in miles now and the newer Magnum Engines are throw away engines with just a life expectancy of only 100k to 150k miles. Second off, the resale values on these new trucks suck and before I get anymore miles like another 15k in another six months I'd rather have a backup car to drive and something that won't depreciate in value no matter the mileage as long as you can take care of it in addition that the motor can at least be rebuilt and be as reliable as my Ram hopefully.
Anyways, I stumbled upon a white 67 Dodge Polara 500 Convertible with what looks to be like a 383 2bbl with a 727. It looks to be in decent condition. Anyways, I'm just wondering what would be a good sales price on this car? Also how rare are they? Well, I know some of you think I'm crazy but, hey I'm single with no plans of getting married althought it would be nice but, I don't bank on it so these vehicles are like my wife.

Steven
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005 - 11:03:14 AM by 04lbram »
71 Dodge Challenger R/T Clone; 383 Big Block with a few goodies and good ole 14" Slot Rims

dodgetkboy78

Re: How Rare Are These Cars?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005 - 11:20:44 AM »
Magnum Engines are throw away engines

Whoever told you that is wacked!

Offline gomangoRT/SE

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005 - 12:16:33 PM »
I do believe that since gas is high and going to stay $2.00 plus that trucks seem to be everywhere for sale.   Lots of trucks out there and of course trucks like cars lose value in time.    That being said the Dodge Polara convertible is <not> in the top lot of what collectors are looking for........not alot of market for them, but I would think the value of this car is stable and wont retreat.   I wouldnt put alot of money into this car.    You can look around and get a ballpark idea of its value.    So either you keep a truck that will retreat in value or drive a 67 Dodge Polara and the price will probably stay stable on it.    If you maintain the car in good shape and the fit and finish are good quality there is always some market somewhere for that kind of car.    Just my opinion.    Thing is you will need a dependable vehicle that will serve your daily needs.   Take that into consideration also.........best of luck    K

dodgetkboy78

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005 - 12:40:58 PM »
A 67 Polara is a beautiful car!

Offline 04lbram

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005 - 12:46:13 PM »
Ooops what I meant is the 4.7L and 5.7L V8s that are throw away engines once they get 100k to 150k. They can't be rebuilt due to the cylinder wall from what I understand being so thin on them. Anyways, just thought I would ask. Also, as for more dependable I don't know. I've had several new Dodge trucks with some serious problems since MB took over. I had an 03 Ram QC 1500 HEMI top of the line truck that spent 23 days in the shop for all type of problems ranging from a bad computer to a bad water pump to having a repainted truck. I also had a 2000 Dakota in which the 4.7L sludged up after 60k miles but, I bought it used.
Also, the stealership here sucks in sales and customer service and it shows except the parts dept.
In addition, my dad daily drove his 72 Rallye Charger with a 400 Big Block for 15 years back and forth to work only with only normal maintenance and averaged 15-16 mpg which is what I average with 04 Ram. Well, take care and have a good day.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005 - 12:48:26 PM by 04lbram »
71 Dodge Challenger R/T Clone; 383 Big Block with a few goodies and good ole 14" Slot Rims

Offline 04lbram

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005 - 12:52:37 PM »
Here's what it would look like except white with a black top and Magnum 500 wheels with whitewalls.

http://www.dodgepolara.com/gallery/index.cgi?action=view&id=384

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005 - 02:57:11 PM »
I would have to say that proper maintenance done on the newer engines will have them lasting longer than any old school engine.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline 74MOPAR

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005 - 03:27:12 PM »
motors don't just sludge up on their own, they need to be neglected first.
My 03 Ram Hemi , has had No problems, owned it for 3 yrs, 45,000 miles, so far - sorry you got a bad one.
74 'Cuda + 73 Charger Rally + $$ + assembly= Noble M400
 03 Ram Hemi 4x4
 78 Aspen Super Coupe

Offline 04lbram

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005 - 06:26:32 PM »
Again thanks for all the replies. As for the newer engines I don't know. In my trucks I ran Mobil 1 Synthetic every 3k to 5k miles and always came out clean. Most my driving was highway miles. On the Dakota I also starting running Mobil 1 when I picked up the truck. Heck, I even did mods to the truck like an exhaust, y-pipe, Fastman TB, and underdrive pulley. On my current truck so far it holds up alright but, gets crappy mileage around town and depreciated pretty fast even though I bought it used just before the employee discounts. However, it gets fairly decent mileage on the highway and decent low end torque off the line.

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2005 - 07:30:12 PM »
motors don't just sludge up on their own, they need to be neglected first.

the 4.7s are notorious for sludging up, even with proper maintenence......
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline 04lbram

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2005 - 07:34:47 PM »
What if you run seafoam through them like some people have suggested though? Or better yet what you floor it once a day to keep the oil moving around the upper part of the engine since it gets less oil than the the rest of the engine?

Offline 74MOPAR

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2005 - 08:46:46 PM »
the 4.7s are notorious for sludging up, even with proper maintenence......

Hmmmmnn, well, learn something new every day.....then , forget it the next day. :-[
74 'Cuda + 73 Charger Rally + $$ + assembly= Noble M400
 03 Ram Hemi 4x4
 78 Aspen Super Coupe

Offline 04lbram

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2005 - 09:35:04 PM »
Well, if you guys know anything about the newer Mopar engine then the possible cause from what I've read that the 4.7L V8 is like the 2.7L V6 engine. I hear the oil passages are too small and so overtime with when the engine breaks down the metals and stuff inside those tend clog up the passenges from what I understand.

dodgetkboy78

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2005 - 11:12:59 PM »
Dodgetkboy78 thinks the 4.7 is apiss poor excuse for a truck motor, why didn't they just go back to the 273 if they wanted a smallish V8? It has a small enough bore to pass Emissions with flying colors..........................
4.7's sludge up here pretty bad, unless they are driven long distances................

Phooey on the 4.7.

Offline 04lbram

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2005 - 11:20:31 PM »
Well, personally I think they need to the 4.7L V8 in the Ram about 270 hp like they did in the Jeep Overland. I know some people on this board have the 5.7L V8 and they aren't much better. Powerwise they're okay but, the computer really chokes them down and I know they were having some issues when they first came out. They're a little better now but, I still have horror stories of that 03 Hemi Ram I had. However, before I met my ex the 04 Hemi I had was a lot better but, only time would tell that is until I was a dummy and got rid of it to buy her and our planned kid a better car. Anyways, take it easy.

04lbram.