How difficult to remove front & rear suspension?

Author Topic: How difficult to remove front & rear suspension?  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Total BS

• '71 Carrabuda Baby!
How difficult to remove front & rear suspension?
« on: October 30, 2005 - 09:10:18 PM »
Hi C-C,

I made quite a bit of progress this weekend and I am finally getting ready for the media blaster.  Question is, how difficult is it to remove the front K member and the rear axle.  The blaster has a rotisserie that they can mount the body to but I have to remove all of this once I trailer it over there. I am by no means a mechanic and it kind of scares me if I mess up.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a progress picture also so I will not get yelled at...lol
1971 'Cuda 383
1970 Chevelle SS LS6
1999 Durango
-New Joisey-

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
Re: How difficult to remove front & rear suspension?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005 - 09:15:48 PM »
The most difficult thing you will encounter will be rusted bolts.  I would suggest to spray it all down with a rust solvent.  There are 4 main bolts that hold on the front k member.  The rear is connected by the rear shakels and the front connectors on the spring assemblies.  Just make sure you have a way to transport it to the rotisory or you will damage the body and frame of your car.  Hope this helps.

Gordon
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline FY1 RT SE

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005 - 12:04:33 AM »
Place four jack stands on the frame raiils two in front and two in the rear so the car will be supported when the assemblies come out.

Front end - Support the K frame with a hydraulic jack.  Remove bottom shock bolts, separate the upper ball joints, remove steering shaft from the gear, turn torsion bar bolts all the way out, then the 4 bolts holding K frame come out and slide the K frame forward and down the break the torsion bars loose.  REMEMBER the K frame is HEAVY and awkward.

Rear end - Disconnect E brake cables, disconnect the flexible brake hose in the wheelwell (left hand side), disconnect bottom of shocks, remove driveshaft, remove rear valance, remove the rear shackles (two bolts), remove four nuts each side that hold the front springs to the hangers and roll it out the back of the car.

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005 - 09:40:03 AM »
Place four jack stands on the frame raiils two in front and two in the rear so the car will be supported when the assemblies come out.

Front end - Support the K frame with a hydraulic jack.  Remove bottom shock bolts, separate the upper ball joints, remove steering shaft from the gear, turn torsion bar bolts all the way out, then the 4 bolts holding K frame come out and slide the K frame forward and down the break the torsion bars loose.  REMEMBER the K frame is HEAVY and awkward.

Rear end - Disconnect E brake cables, disconnect the flexible brake hose in the wheelwell (left hand side), disconnect bottom of shocks, remove driveshaft, remove rear valance, remove the rear shackles (two bolts), remove four nuts each side that hold the front springs to the hangers and roll it out the back of the car.

Good info i needed it as well,thanks
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005 - 11:55:03 AM »
Good info i needed it as well,thanks

I agree!! 

Keep us informed on your progress BS!!  Lookin' good!! 

Offline Total BS

• '71 Carrabuda Baby!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005 - 08:53:58 PM »
Thanks Guys,

As usual, as wealth of knowledge and I appreciate everyone's input.  I was just afraid of something under tension going BOING when I unbolted it.  Now it actually doesn't sound that tough....wish me luck.

Ed
1971 'Cuda 383
1970 Chevelle SS LS6
1999 Durango
-New Joisey-

Offline FY1 RT SE

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005 - 09:11:40 PM »
Just make sure tension is off the rear springs when you remove the rear shackels.