Author Topic: 1971 Charger R/T  (Read 1886 times)

Offline challenger_440

1971 Charger R/T
« on: November 17, 2005 - 10:34:22 PM »
Well I know this guy that lives by me and he has all these parts he took off a 71 R/T and is selling all these parts for 2,500. He has the 2 R/T fenders,R/T doors,hideaway lights,orignal R/T rearend, R/T louvered back lights, both of the chargers bumpers, all the seats, whole dash with cluster and down to glove box, broadcast sheet in pieces, vins he took off,fender tag,  Charger R/T title, and a 71 charger Se car that comes with it. And I was wondering if you actually are able to recreate this Charger R/T into the 71 Se becuase he said the body of the R/T was so far gone that it wasn't repairable. And if this would considered to be cloning the car because well he has all the R/T parts that made it an R/T except the orignal engine and tranny. The only problem is that I'm sure this isn't legal. Need some advice

Offline Andrew

• Resident
Re: 1971 Charger R/T
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005 - 10:39:42 PM »
You can build a clone, but you cant put the R/T parts on the SE and sell it as an R/T.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005 - 11:22:31 PM »
basically true , the R/t parts can be used on the car no prob , the Vin will still be a SE & you basically need to declare it as a clone which is no big deal
 if you decide not to do it let me know , I need tailights & the rear window louvers & possibly the dash pad & guages

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Prowler Orange Challenger

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005 - 11:29:46 PM »
I agree with what everyone said except two things here. First if you buy the car and clone it. You will have a hard time probably selling it. No offense but, a lot of people tend to look down on clones. My car included. They always ask is it a real R/T? When I tell them no, they turn and walk away. Second off you're better off keeping the original car unless you have a plans to keep it a long time. Sell the R/T parts and make it a nicer SE car.

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005 - 11:31:53 PM »
I would think that a nice 71 R/T clone would be worth more than a 71 SE, most likely with the 318.  71 318 cars go for about 8-10k, when fully restored.  The R/T clone would be alot more.  I say make the clone.

And, those doors are rare!  Worth alot of coin, they are...

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005 - 11:36:45 PM »
Ghost, I can understand your point of view. Problem is people want something closer to original. Trust me on this one. If I had to do it over again I would never bought a clone knowing what I know. Just look at Bart. He's having a hard time selling his 'Cuda replica and its a beautiful car.

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005 - 11:40:46 PM »
Ghost, I can understand your point of view. Problem is people want something closer to original. Trust me on this one. If I had to do it over again I would never bought a clone knowing what I know. Just look at Bart. He's having a hard time selling his 'Cuda replica and its a beautiful car.

And, do you really think that an original 318, bench seat, 3 speed auto on the column, would be worth more than a 440 powered, consol auto R/T clone?  All else equal, just having a Big Block and the rare R/T doors would make the clone worth more than the SE.  Not to mention that 71 SEs were pretty common.  Which would you pay more for:  A lowly 318 car, or a rumbling 440 powered beast?

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005 - 12:04:59 AM »
Well I myself would pay more for the 440 car however, majority of people will try to get you on those clones. Good example. My car is a R/T Replica. Originally, a 318 3spd A93 car and now a 69 383 with a 727 TF. I tried selling it on the same website as a guy who had a Plum Crazy 318 71 Challenger and he actually got more for his car offered then I did mine it was an original car with the original engine.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005 - 03:54:12 AM »
Hmmm...I can see both of your points.  Both valid and good points.

If it was for me, I gotta go with Ghost.  I love those R/T doors and taillights!  You don't see many '71 R/Ts.

True, originality is definately a big seller but I guess since it's a '71 and not a '68-'70 Charger I don't think it's complete heresy to make a clone from it so long as it's revealed that it's a clone.  That's what I would do.  The '71 R/Ts looked really cool, IMO.  If it were a '71 Challenger or Barracuda, I think that might be a different case.

Do what make you happy, challenger 440.  You're the one that's going to be driving it.  If you feel "guilty" that it's a clone, don't do it.  If you like the R/T look, go for it!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005 - 04:38:04 AM »
You can put all the R/T parts on the SE but swapping the vins could get you in trouble.It is true many people prefer original cars but just look on e-bay and check out the big money some clones are bringing.Is the R/T body still around as anything is repairable despite what the seller says?
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005 - 05:47:24 AM »
 I think because of the high prices real R/T's etc are bringing in, more people are thinking of Clones differently. I'm one of them, alot of people just can't afford the real deal anymore. The collectors have pushed the price out of the range for the average guy and gal.
 True if you have a clone you will probably get the "is it a real R/T" question, but that's going to happen no matter what. I quit asking that years ago, and now I'm just happy to see one real or not! I'm past the numbers matching stage and just go by what I see in front of me.
 The vin swap is a No No!! Don't go there!
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline FY1443433

• 1971 Superbee, 1970 Challenger R/T
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005 - 06:52:54 AM »
I'd be interested in see what he has.  Can you send me some pictures?

FY1443433

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005 - 07:03:07 AM »
You can "clone" the car as a R/T and get better $$ than if it was left original. You cant expect to get the same $$ for a clone as you would an original car....original cars, especially documented, #'s matching cars will always bring a premium. Now when you start talking about the Vin plate, broadcast sheet, etc...you are talking about "rebody". Swaping VIN numbers from a body shell to another with intent to conceal identity of the original body is a federal offense.

I would not be put off of a clone car, owned several myself, matter of fact I'm paying big $$ for a 70 hemicuda clone as i write this. Just realize that even a concours clone will bring at best about 50%-60% of what a factory original car will.

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005 - 08:14:28 AM »
RIght..

You would need the cowl and radiator support from the R/T to even hope to use the R/Ts VIN.
Still....
$2500 isn't a bad price at all and you could probably get the SE for free is you sold all the R/T parts.
I have lots of "free" cars from deals like that.
Those doors and taillights are pretty cool though

Offline challenger_440

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005 - 08:14:28 PM »
Well I asked the guy if the guy still had the body he said the guy probabley melted the body for metal so that ticked me off.  But he said that he has the raditor support maybe he doesnt know exactly but see I'd have to switch vins becuase the 71 SE doesnt have a vin or a title to it and anyways he has the 71 R/T title to it. The also said that the owner who he bought it from kept the R/T louvered hood for a different Charger he had I wish i could of gotten it. But if only I could find the orignal engine and tranny that car would preety much be the R/T if it had it's orignal engine. And if I created the car back from all the options it had on the fender tag.