Author Topic: STREET HEMI ORANGE ENGINE PAINT QUESTION...please help!  (Read 3299 times)

Offline AARudy

• 1970 4-speed AAR---71 Cuda conv----70 Chall 440-6
STREET HEMI ORANGE ENGINE PAINT QUESTION...please help!
« on: November 20, 2005 - 08:10:12 PM »
okay, I'm in the middle of the resto on my AAR Cuda.... are the 340's supposed to be painted street hemi orange #4349216? I know I own three Cuda's and should know this, but I grew up in a Pontiac family, and have only owned the Cuda's for a couple years now...I can pick out Pontiac blue blindfolded, but am having a hard time figuring out this orange paint situation because it looks so different when I sprayed it on... its a very pale, almost creamy orange...not the bright orange I was expecting....is this correct? I should have paid more attention to this when I was at the Nats.....I bought the paint directly from Mopar, and every chart I see shows it to be correct...but I need to find out now before the engine goes in...I know the hemis had a different color too, more red...but this does'nt seem very orange...my friend has a 440 charger, and says its right..? I am putting up a pic that looks real close to true color...every time I see an AAR engine in a photograph, its very orange....but so is this color when I take a pic of it...so...????? HELP!

Offline 70Cuda

• 70 Cuda 383 70 Challenger 440+6 71 Challenger 383
Re: STREET HEMI ORANGE ENGINE PAINT QUESTION...please help!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005 - 09:10:50 PM »
I started this post in the engine section

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=8372.0

asking for recommendations for a show quality engine paint job.  Some of the pictures show engines that are too bright (Hemi orange BODY color vs. ENGINE color).

I think the POR15 engine color is right (and I think some posted their pics with it) however don't use it.  I know a guy that painted his AAR motor a bit too bright and they docked him points on it but it still placed well at national shows.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: STREET HEMI ORANGE ENGINE PAINT QUESTION...please help!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005 - 01:58:31 AM »
the 69 color was a dull orange & the race Hemi Orange is a light orange also , try the PT14 paint from Mopar , it works great & probably is the color you are looking for

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t