Hopefully the new challenger

Author Topic: Hopefully the new challenger  (Read 19223 times)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: Hopefully the new challenger
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2005 - 10:17:17 PM »
On some cars it could mean "Real Turd".  But not on a Mopar, right!?!?

You guys both present valid points.  The cars in the 80's weren't as hot as the ones in the 60'/70's but hey, the 80's weren't known for it's performance as Ghost so aptly pointed out, although a GNX with some mods will do a 12 sec. 1/4 mile easily.

For thier time, those 80's cars did what they had to.  The R/T cars earned thier respect in some way shape or form.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline bohmer2

« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2005 - 08:12:07 AM »
Not to be stirring the pot, but the Buick GN is the last vehicle I would point to for a performance car of any decade as they were so apt for transmission failures it was funny.  In fact one weekend in spring of 90 I watched three of these cars drop their transmissions at the Cordoba, Il race track, and not a one of the three was really performing better than mid/low 13's.  Granted I realize a knowledgeable driver and mechanic may be able to make these cars do wonders, but that is true with anything, even a Dodge Colt.  They are what I define as the start of the ricer movement, these were cars that really weren't performance machines without the turbo they were nothing more than a v6 olds cutlass.  I would give far more respect to the r/t v-8 dakotas than to a v-6 buick even with a turbo.

$0.02 from
Brian

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2005 - 12:59:32 PM »
Ewwwww.  Too bad they didn't make a manual tranny!  Point taken!

If this concept does make it to production, how will the update to this model be made? 

For example, the '06 Mustang.  After this body style has used up all it's useful life, what next?  All new design or '71-'73 Mustang look? 

Same deal with the '09 Challenger?  Will they use the different grills from '70-'74?  What after that?  Use the body lines from the '78 Mitsubishi Sapporo badged Challenger? 

This '09 Challenger (if it happens) will be a tough act to follow up!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline xs29j8

« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2005 - 01:12:35 PM »
I have spoken to three seperate sources today that I consider reliable...

1) The concept car exists
2) The spy pictures are real (although one source had not seen them before I showed him)
3) Sounds like the car may be much closer to production than we thought, ie. 2007 model released next year (in line with what MM said Eric Andrew told him)
4) No pricing information yet
5) There may be minor differences from the concept car, but no '99 Charger concept car fiasco...

I trust these people, and fully BELIEVE that this will happen... I can hardly wait for January and late next year (actually maybe next Summer).

I will be off-line for the next several days, don't need the distraction of the arguments about whether the car is real. I haven't seen it, but fully believe it is!

Maybe when I get back on-line this weekend it will be all sorted out... right?!?

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

XS

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2005 - 03:02:56 PM »
Thats' great news, xs!  This is getting more and more interesting everyday!

Thanks again!

As xs said, Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2005 - 04:25:04 PM »
Not to be stirring the pot, but the Buick GN is the last vehicle I would point to for a performance car of any decade as they were so apt for transmission failures it was funny.  In fact one weekend in spring of 90 I watched three of these cars drop their transmissions at the Cordoba, Il race track, and not a one of the three was really performing better than mid/low 13's.  Granted I realize a knowledgeable driver and mechanic may be able to make these cars do wonders, but that is true with anything, even a Dodge Colt.  They are what I define as the start of the ricer movement, these were cars that really weren't performance machines without the turbo they were nothing more than a v6 olds cutlass.  I would give far more respect to the r/t v-8 dakotas than to a v-6 buick even with a turbo.

$0.02 from
Brian

Power is power, any way you make it.  And, I would hardly call adding a turbo "rice".  Rice is defined as adding NON PERFORMANCE PARTS, that make you LOOK fast.  2ndly, the GNX is the fastest car from the 80s, faster than the 87 Vette, if I recall correctly.  Therefore, it deserves to be called one of the top performance cars, not just of the 80s, but ANY decade.

Remember, quality control was quite the issue for Ma Mopar, GM and FoMoCo in the 60s and 70s, too....

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2005 - 04:33:14 PM »

Just a side note - Rice is not described anywhere, there is no exact meaning for it.
Many people have different views but I tend to agree with Ghost, none performance parts. Also an over kill of car items, body kit that consists of 57 pieces, sound system NASA would envy, stickers, lights etc....

As for the 80's cars, I also think the cars are ugly, like the music, But I still appriciate how the fit in the DC time line.
But, hedkace is right.....the Charger isn't the greatest and is a joke, MANY agree.

NZ440R/T

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline AllGreen70RT

« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2005 - 10:23:33 PM »
The Detroit Free Press business section from yesterday 11/21/05 has a picture of a concept sketch of the new Challenger. It states the the sketch was the first released by Dodge. It looks just like the photos in this thread. It looks like this thing is for real. I know I'll be at the North American Auto Show in January.

Offline MoparMan

• 70 Challenger R/T, 71 Duster 340, 68 Fury
« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2005 - 10:45:03 PM »

I am impressed, and excited about this new Challenger.
I've been dreaming about this for years. I used to dream that one day Chrysler would actually build a new version of one of the "older" Mopar musclecars and look similar.
Until the new Mustang came out I didn't think any of the car manufacturers would ever dare attempt such a thing. This is amazing! There's also mention that the retro Camaro will debut at the show in Detroit also.
Do you realize that 5 of the major original musclecars will be back?
That means the Challenger, Charger (sort of), Camaro, GTO and Mustang (with a Shelby version coming) are back!
How cool is that!  It will be musclecar wars all over again!
You could also possibly count the new Chrysler 300 as that was the Chrysler musclecar car in the 50's. It was a big heavy car but it would spank a Corvette back then.

MoparMan
(Bob)

Offline GLHSHELBY

« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2005 - 12:14:45 AM »
Hi,everyone this is my 1st post.I was hoping there was a challenger/cuda forum out there somewhere. I have been waiting for chrysler to build a car like this since 1988. In the meantime I`ll be dring my other used mopars until this is releashed.I have even heard a rumor that there maybe a Chrysler Cuda on the way also. I`ll just keep waiting and see.

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2005 - 12:18:14 AM »
I have even heard a rumor that there maybe a Chrysler Cuda on the way also. I`ll just keep waiting and see.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!  Chrysler Cuda just sounds WRONG!!!!!

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2005 - 06:41:41 AM »
Sorry NZ, I couldn't resist, LOL!

Just a side note - Rice is not described anywhere, there is no exact meaning for it.

rice (noun)- 1.  A cereal grass (Oryza sativa) that is cultivated extensively in warm climates for its edible grain.
                 2.  The starchy grain of this plant, used as a staple food throughout the world.

Offline AllGreen70RT

« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2005 - 09:13:07 PM »
I hope everyone had a good thanksgiving day. I was told by a relative who works at DC in Auburn Hills that there are 7 concepts being developed currently and one of them is a convertible. It appears they are trying to have it ready January 07.

Offline MoparMan

• 70 Challenger R/T, 71 Duster 340, 68 Fury
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2005 - 10:29:08 PM »
AllGreen70RT,

7 concepts of what?  Different versions of the Challenger or various models?

Curious..
MoparMan
(Bob)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2005 - 10:30:44 PM »
Sorry NZ, I couldn't resist, LOL!

rice (noun)- 1.  A cereal grass (Oryza sativa) that is cultivated extensively in warm climates for its edible grain.
                 2.  The starchy grain of this plant, used as a staple food throughout the world.

LOL!! Bastard! j/k I stand corrected. lol
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60