Pump Gas---"Regular or Premium"?

Author Topic: Pump Gas---"Regular or Premium"?  (Read 3617 times)

Oldschool

Pump Gas---"Regular or Premium"?
« on: November 22, 2005 - 08:45:55 PM »
I assume that a lot of you have engines that require the use of premium unleaded.  I know that my '69 does.  You know those pumps that dispense ALL grades through ONE nozzle, what you pump is whatever grade you select, but it all comes from the same nozzle..  Ever wonder how much the premium gets diluted due to the regular gas that is in the lines between the pump and the nozzle?   If the last customer bought regular and then you purchase premium, the first bit of fuel you get is gonna be regular.   I have a 12 gallon fuel cell, so this dilution adds up over time.  It is even more critical in my motorcycle--(BMW K1200LT-C).  This is due to the smaller fuel tank.  I have learned which stations dispense the premium through dedicated nozzles and this is the only place that I get gas for my vehicles that require premium.  Just a thought.......................Oldschool

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
Re: Pump Gas---"Regular or Premium"?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005 - 09:48:13 PM »
I never would have thought of that.  How much do you estimate is in the pipe before pumping?
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Oldschool

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005 - 09:53:23 PM »
I never would have thought of that.  How much do you estimate is in the pipe before pumping?

I am not sure, but some of the cycle sites that have had this discussion have stated anywhere between a quart and a half gallon. It depends on how the pumps are set up and who manufactured it. They all vary somewhat.........Oldschool

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005 - 09:58:46 PM »
Good discusion.  Never thought of that.  Will have to look into that.  Thanks
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline VPOINTCUDA

• Wish she were done so I could take her out Ridin!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005 - 10:37:31 PM »
I pump Sunoco 93 octane from a "dedicated " pump . It was for this exact reason! I never even thought about passing it on. Great point !
" the question isn't  when is he going to stop, but whose gonna stop him!"

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005 - 10:41:03 PM »
I use regular....  But, you know, I've never thought of this....

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005 - 10:48:10 PM »
Regular for me too.  This is a real good topic.

My car's 72 340 engine is still stock so buying the cheaper grade of gas may be the only benefit of the lower 8.5:1 compression!
(Actually, the second benefit would be if I chose to add a centrifugal supercharger I wouldn't need an engine rebuild.  I'm just dreaming....I wish I had that problem of only having to use the premium with 10.25:1 compression...sob..sob... (insert sad smiley))
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005 - 12:22:49 AM »

W edon't have those pumps down here and by the sounds of it, thank goodness!! lol
One pump for every fuel. :-)
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Oldschool

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006 - 11:22:54 AM »
Bump.  I thought that since the cruising season is returning for everyone, this thread might be of some value to us "Old" mopar drivers............    :cooldancing:   

Offline dodgethebullet

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006 - 11:31:46 AM »
Something to think about.

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006 - 11:42:12 AM »
 Thanks for the info OldSchool I've got to start hunting around, I thought I was just getting crummy gas when the ping monster would start up every now and then.
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006 - 04:26:43 PM »
Well, Oldschool, you could just aim the nozzle out into space a pull the trigger a few times to get the "bad" gas out.  That could make for some real exciting times!  Whoo Hoo!
{oo/===\oo}

Offline highspeeddirt

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006 - 03:55:19 PM »
I've thought about that before but never really concerned me too much since all I drive right now runs on the regular,  but on another note, I dunno how true it is,  I had a guy tell me that when they fill the tankers up its all the same fuel.  For the higher octanes they add a extremely potent sort of "octane boost".  He said its like in quarts and is high dollar stuff not available to the public.  :dunno: If this is the case, wonder how exact the octane is of the fuel your getting?  We have a couple stations down here that run a "monday only.....premium for the price of regular" sale.  Makes me wonder if its real, are they swithching the pumps to all regular and saying its premium, or are they really gonna not make any money just to sell?  Or, are we really getting the higher octane we are paying for at some stations?  Ok, I'm thinking too much now I'll hush.... :bigsmile:

Butte, MT

Mike

Oldschool

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006 - 03:58:38 PM »
Good point HSD!   Hey, by the way, have you ever seen this stuff before?   It is the REAL DEAL!  And for sale to the public..

http://www.kemcooil.com/product_info.php?pId=61

Check it out.....  Might get some for the Beast this summer when it gets real hot outside...

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2006 - 04:04:05 PM »
Good point HSD!   Hey, by the way, have you ever seen this stuff before?   It is the REAL DEAL!  And for sale to the public..

http://www.kemcooil.com/product_info.php?pId=61

Check it out.....  Might get some for the Beast this summer when it gets real hot outside...

Do you think that's for real??? I'm sooo tempted. I just need a point or two, so one bottle will do me for the summer.  :screwy:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.