Dodge Truck---Suggestions?

Author Topic: Dodge Truck---Suggestions?  (Read 6287 times)

Offline Rust collector

Re: Dodge Truck---Suggestions?
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2005 - 06:45:08 PM »
Springs... A saggy truck isn´t fun to tow with...

About the engine, I guess it depends, how many times and how far you are going to pull what...

A slant will do it, but a cummins will do it faster...

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2005 - 06:51:06 PM »
That's an idea.  :thinkerg:  I will contact them next week and tell them what I am doing and see what they suggest.  Thanks......Oldschool :cheers:

T-case compatability (or not) would be interesting to know. Let us know.

torch

Oldschool

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2005 - 07:10:15 PM »
T-case compatability (or not) would be interesting to know. Let us know.

torch

Torch  When I get their response, I will post the info here. Stay tuned.............Oldschool

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2005 - 07:32:06 PM »
Torch  When I get their response, I will post the info here. Stay tuned.............Oldschool

Cool, thanks!

torch

Offline o1mrquick

• sonic auto sucks
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2005 - 02:09:17 AM »
If your going to tow its better to buy a truck built for it. Its going to last longer and be more relyable.
 i towed with a 96 1500 318 and went through 4 cats in a year. Stepped up to a 97 1500 5.9L burnt up 3 cats and smoked 2 trannies in a year. this was towing an open trailer and car (4900lbs) about once a month.You tend to use more go pedal with less torque and thus burn up alot of stuff including gas. Sure you can probably do it but how long will it last? Burnt up one of them trannies on hyw99 in the middle of nowhere with the familly in the car...not too fun at 2 am with a loaded trailer.

Going up the L.A. grapevine towing 4900lbs in the 5.2L was 45mph and 4500- 5500rpm , 5.9L was 45mph 3800-4000rpm but our new x brand 335hp 8.1L towing 6700lbs was 55mph @ 2400-3000 and we burnt up less gas doing it.   

Now we moved up to a different make because I don't like diesles and Diam doesn't make a gas truck that will do 15K lbs and have enough room for 4 adults and gear.  But now theres a Hemi that will do it. But its big and a price tag to match.

I say prepare, don't skimp,and plan ahead. Its funny you say you don't tow offen but when you buy a tow vehicle and a nice trailer you tend to increase its usage. Remember with that sized trailer you will most likely need a 10K + rating.   

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2005 - 04:35:40 PM »
I'm not sure why you made that comment, but the question was towing, and can it be done with a small block. The answer is yes, and for less than it will cost to do it with a Hemi, a V10, or a diesel.

JS27N0B, your comment about your towing with a V10, and getting 18MPG has not been my experience with a fleet of them. There is nothing off color about that. Our records showed that the V10 Rams we had delivered 13.2 mpg on average. We also had a number of Ford E350 V10 vans, and on average they delivered 14.4 mpg. Both the vans and the trucks were well maintained, and the averages were taken over 1 year, 2 year, 3 year and 4 year intervals. Now, these are un-modified engines, bone stock, and maintained with stock replacement, and service parts.

As I see it, if you're a bigblock guy, you're going to lean toward the bigblock engines, just as a diesel guy will lean toward them, and a small block guy will follow suit. The fact remains, to tow a car efficiently, it isn't necessary to have more than purpose built 318. If you already own one, you build cost will be far, far less than the purchase price of a new truck, and certainly less than a replacement engine.

Oh, and I do have a nice life, thank you.

My heated response was because yet again someone was being called a liar about what fuel mileage they were getting and had just seen a different side of someone. Sorry but if I hear someone talking bad about someone else or see that a person acts differently/values change in a different crowd,  it lessens my opinion of them a great deal. We can never take anything back once it has been said, I like to think that no matter where I am or who I am talking to the story and the tone of voice will be the same, all people get my respect unless they have stepped over my boundaries, but at which point I will no longer associate with them and keep them an arms length away and not try to make them look bad to the rest of the world.
anyway.... sorry for the rambling.

My truck empty@65mph will get 18 Imperial miles per gallon. Your gallon is smaller than ours and probably the rest of the worlds. Towing 10,000-12,000 lbs It will get anywhere from 10-14 mpg. I had a 5.9 in a 1500 that got about 9-11 doing the same trailers and had to run it hard to keep up with the flow of traffic, we have wind and hills here, not a good combination for a small block and the V-10 can maintain speed under these requirements, within reason of course.

A 1500 series Dodge is not rated to tow more than 7500 lbs and depending on the actual truck may not be able to weigh more than 12,500 lbs together with the trailer(GCWR), for this reason I will always recommend a 2500 or 3500 truck(been there done that save someone else the hassle). A 5.9 is available in the 2500, if a 4wd is preffered I would stongly advise against it as a V-10 will have more power and better mileage dut to the fact it is not being overworked, I have seen this numerous times as I am Servicer Manager and Journeyman(22yrs) automotive tech at a Chrysler dealer who sells over 700 trucks a year.  Truth is for anyone getting a new truck I would always advise to go for the diesel if they are using it to pull as not only will it last it will also have more residual value than a gas truck, gas trucks in my neck of the woods can't hold a candle to a diesel for resaleabilty.  Trailer towing sermon now over.

BTW, I'm glad you like your life.

1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline Face

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2005 - 04:57:28 AM »
It would seem that your experience with light trucks, as a supplier, and mine, as an end user, differ. Not at all uncommon. We have never owned a Dodge V10 truck that produced 18 mpg, not even empty. That's not to question your honesty, or your observation. It only serves to state my experience as a fleet operator. You should also know that at no time did I question your knowledge, experience, or opinion. My comment about your truck being a "Keeper" was not meant as a wise crack. If I could get 18 mpg out of a V10 Dodge, I'd be extremely happy. If you're getting that, good for you.
My association with any other members, or chat board not withstanding. Those associations have nothing, whatsoever, to do with my experience, opinions, observations, or integrity.

I do not disagree with the V-10'a ability to pull, and I agree, whole heartedly that the diesel is the way to go.

This discussion was based on the decision to buy a new truck or engine, or modify what the writer already has. I'm not intimating that the 318 will do the towing job as easily as a V-10, or Diesel. What I said was a "Purpose built" 318, properly geared, would allow him to tow occasionally, and at speed, and still give him good economy and performance in day to day (trailorless) driving. Further, since he already owns the 318, building it to suit the task is less costly than replacng it. The GV unit will help, but I don't believe it to be the complete answer in this case.

Thanks.

a swell guy from Warren Harding High.

Oldschool

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2005 - 05:22:41 PM »
Picked up a 2500 diesel yesterday.  :cooldancing:  No more towing worries.  :ylsuper: .......Thanks for the suggestions from you all.  Now for which trailer I want???????:dunno:  ....................Oldschool

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2005 - 08:18:41 PM »
Very nice!! Congratulations!!  Now, where are our pictures??
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2005 - 08:25:46 PM »

:useless:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Oldschool

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2005 - 08:31:51 PM »
Sorry, I know how much ya'll like pics----but I did not get home with it until after dark.  I am at the station today and drove the 97 Ram in here.  It's supposed to rain the next day or so here. As soon as I get some decent weather, I will take some pics and get em posted.  :picture:  I promise...............Oldschool

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2005 - 11:27:06 AM »
Sounds good Oldschool, how about some details till then?
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Oldschool

« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2005 - 03:21:55 PM »
Sounds good Oldschool, how about some details till then?

It's nothin' special,  it's a left over 2005 2500 diesel.  It's black with grey interior. It's a 2 wheel drive Quad Cab.  Anti-spin differential, Infinity Sound, fog lamps, etc.....I'll get some pics soon..................Oldschool

Offline TeeWJay426

« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2005 - 09:05:03 PM »
Oldschool, going with the diesel if you have your heart set on a 24 ft enclosed trailer was probably a good move. I personally have an '03 Hemi QC 2500 4x4, and tow an 18ft open trailer with it. My cousin has the almost identical truck in an '04, and has a 24ft enclosed trailer. He struggles to tow it with a 3/4 ton Hemi; I think your 318 would have been WAY overmatched for that much trailer! My Hemi does OK with what I have, but it does rev high on the hills. Diesel is the best way to go if you will tow long distance, often, or with a fair amount of weight. I only use mine a few times a year, and am satisfied with it.... the extra $$$ for the diesel wouldn't have been worth it to me, but then again, when I went after my truck, I wanted a well optioned, loaded vehicle- it stickered at 39K back then; the diesel would have put me at nearly 45K on the sticker then!
'66 Hemi Charger                         
'67 Coronet R/T ragtop
'03 Hemi Ram 2500 QC 4x4
'99 Durango
'98 Intrepid ES

Oldschool

« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2005 - 10:55:42 PM »
After factory incentives, the truck was 33K + some change.  I'm definately gonna add some stuff to it.  Probably a tonneau cover and upgrade the radio soon.  I'll get the windows darkened also.  I'll keep ya posted on how it tows.  As always---thnks for ya'lls ideas and help............Oldschool