Dodge Truck---Suggestions?

Author Topic: Dodge Truck---Suggestions?  (Read 6294 times)

Oldschool

Dodge Truck---Suggestions?
« on: November 23, 2005 - 10:13:34 AM »
I have a 97 Dodge 1500 4wd with  318 and auto. It has 53K on it and is in better than excellent shape.   If I am going to be possibly pulling a 24' car hauler with my 69 inside, the 318 is WAY to weak.  I was wondering what my options are here:
1) Install a Squires or similar turbo kit.
2) Yank the 318 and install a larger engine,
3) Sell the truck and get one that will handle the job

Any suggestions?...............Oldschool

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
Re: Dodge Truck---Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005 - 10:21:36 AM »
How often and how far will you be towing your rig?  Are there a lot of hills where you live or is it pretty flat?  You'd be surprised what a 318 can handle but if you are going to be hauling long distance esp. over mountainous terrain, there is only one answer - Diesel.
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Oldschool

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005 - 10:37:07 AM »
How often and how far will you be towing your rig?  Are there a lot of hills where you live or is it pretty flat?  You'd be surprised what a 318 can handle but if you are going to be hauling long distance esp. over mountainous terrain, there is only one answer - Diesel.

Thanks for your reply.  I will be towing over whatever terrain I have to in order to get to the destination. I will only tow if the distance is greater than I care to drive the car----like Carlisle perhaps.................Oldschool

Offline lemurfart

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005 - 02:11:20 PM »
just my personal opinion would be to either buy a new truck or turbo/sc the one you have

if you were going to swap motor, just go out and get a new titan or something.  damn i love those trucks
2008 Ducati 1098 - Flat Black :)

1972 Dodge Challenger 340-4-4speed pistol

dodgetkboy78

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005 - 01:14:56 AM »

Gears are the breaking point of the 318, however. You would be better off installing 3.91's in it before the supercharger or turbo. If you already have 3.91's, what are you complaining about?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005 - 12:48:26 AM by dodgetkboy78 »

Offline DodgeFreak

• Cars and trucks are my friends..
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005 - 07:44:47 AM »
I know a 318 could probably pull that load (well i know it will pull it) but it will struggle. my dad has had pretty close to 10,000 lbs on his dakota and pulled it from Des Moines Iowa to the southern boarder.  but i don't think i'd waste my time pulling a motor to swap for a bigger one...i'd either super charge\turbo or buy a new one and i personally wouldn't go gasser.. another thing is...watch out for the A518 or what ever they call them now 46re or something like that....they are another weak point so i'd install a shift kit also. another thing to do before you spend the money is run dual exhaust and port the throttle body i felt a big difference in my dads truck when we done those two things....also you can recam it with a cam mopar makes thats bigger than stock but not to big to throw the pcm off.  also the heads on them are weak... when i rebuilt my 318 one head was cracked in 2 cyl. and i didn't get it hot. 
74 Plymouth Duster- restoring

77 Dodge D150 shortbox- as long as i don't change my mind will be a step side dually diesel or a 383 powered truck

04 durango 4.7

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005 - 09:47:37 PM »
The 318 doesn't have it for pulling especially seeing as you already have it in a heavier 4WD truck.

Seeing as your going to be pulling an enclosed, a 2500 is the minimum truck I would look at.     No V8's though, V10 or diesel and if your towing frequently and for long distances I would lean towards the diesel.

Titan, hahaha good one.....
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005 - 11:39:15 PM »
if ti si a short box definatly sell it , you need a long box to tow safely
 with a long box you have options , but I have a 89 CTD [Cummins Turbo Diesel] , it really is the best way to go  , mine has  500,000K on it a still runs like new , I tweaked the pump & it now has 305 HP & 930 Ft lbs TQ , it will pull anything effortlessly

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

dodgetkboy78

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005 - 12:42:05 AM »
Seems to me, there is a big misunderstanding between bragging right horsepower, and a truck engine.
Who gives a flying frick if your truck goes up the hill at 45, instead of 55 like the cummins? Truth be known, my little 318 in my dually, running 4000 in second gear, can pass most older diesel  trucks loaded the same.
A 318, with the right gears, will do just fine. (Chryco is right about the short box though)
Last time I checked, the "real" trucks of the 60's came standard with 6 cylinders. Why? Becasue it is a truck! Yup! Not made to go fast.
318, with 3.91 gears, will pull JUST FINE. Might be a bit slow, but, will do just fine. Trust me, I do it almost every day.
Having a 318 is a bad reason to sell it.

305 HP & 930 Ft lbs TQ

Question? How did you get 13 less HP, and 30 less pounds of torque, than a "318" detroit 8V92? From a 360 cu in cummins?
"92" is the cubic inch per cylinder, so the detroit would be 736 cu in.

dodgetkboy78

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005 - 12:47:36 AM »
just go out and get a new titan or something.

Those are cute little trucks, with the mini ford 9" looking rear end, and the little frame drilled full of holes..............I bet they can haul a ton!

Offline Face

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005 - 05:25:50 AM »
I pulled an open trailer and a Hemi dart with a 76 Dodge van with a 318/727/9.25 with out issue. It took a few engine and suspension mods, but I spent less that $2k on the mods, and the van (a B200) hauled the load without a problem, and had no problems maintaining the speed limit (at least) even up hill.

I see no reason why you couldn't do something similar with your truck. Take a look at what you're pulling, and go to the gearing first. You might need some cam, and an exhaust to breath better too. Maybe a computer chip.
In any case, it would seem to me that you caould make the 318 work, reliably, to pull your trailer. Granted, you might not be the fastest rig on the interstate, but who cares. There's no need to go to a bigger engine, or buy a diesel truck. The 318 is THE little engine that could. Build it to suit the task at hand, and you'll be fine. Not to mention a few thousand dollars ahead.
a swell guy from Warren Harding High.

dodgetkboy78

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2005 - 12:30:34 AM »
AMEN!

Offline Prowler Orange Challenger

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2005 - 07:01:06 AM »
As for the Titan I wouldn't buy one. I know I owned one for a while and had some problems out of it not to mention it got 14 mpg unloaded driving with the cruise on 65 mph and that was running synthetics in the rear axle and an exhaust. The rear end in it was bad as I gained 2 mpg having the fluid changed at 6k miles and the interior literally fell apart in my hands. So, I went back to Dodge and have been fairly happy. I just hope it holds up to what I put it through and only have 41k miles on it.

Oldschool

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2005 - 08:09:09 AM »
Thanks for all of your input.  Looks like there are options on both end of the spectrum.  I did think of one more option and I would like you to let me know what you think about this:  I also have an '04 Durango with a Hemi and the factory towing package.  Do you think the suspension on the Durango is up to hauling a 24' car hauler with a car inside?  I'll be looking out for your thoughts.  Thanks in advance.................Oldschool

Offline Prowler Orange Challenger

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2005 - 08:46:23 AM »
How much does the 24' weigh?