Author Topic: Bumble Bee Stripe  (Read 1149 times)

Offline 73EStroker

Bumble Bee Stripe
« on: November 23, 2005 - 10:09:26 PM »
I want a b/bee stripe on my 73 Challenger. Does anyone have the dimensions? and was the black colour matt finish or shiny?
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
Re: Bumble Bee Stripe
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005 - 06:04:47 AM »
Year One and maybe others sell a stencil kit.I think they were only availible in gloss colors but not 100% sure.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005 - 07:09:56 AM »
 If they don't make it in the color you want, you can always go to any good graphics/sign company that does Vinyl lettering for cars and trucks and either give them all the measurements and maybe a picture of it and have them make it, or order whatever color you can get then give it to the company to make a copy in the right color for ya.
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005 - 04:04:59 PM »
If they don't make it in the color you want, you can always go to any good graphics/sign company that does Vinyl lettering for cars and trucks and either give them all the measurements and maybe a picture of it and have them make it, or order whatever color you can get then give it to the company to make a copy in the right color for ya.

I own a graphics/sign shop and can tell you that the reason Dodge painted these on the Challengers is due to the many compund curves on the rear of the car.  It is almost impossible to make one out of vinyl.  Best bet is to simply mask it of using some Fine Line tape and spray the stripe on.  I don't remember the exact dimensions however but I seem to think that the gap is 3/8" and the Pinstripe is 1/4".  I've done a few over the years and this worked out well for me.  Just remember to tape it off really well and scuff up your paint good.
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005 - 08:41:07 PM »
They were painted on as mentioned, and they were glossy. The bumble bee Challenger stripe color was painted first when these cars were built, it was much easier to spray the back end of the car the stripe color and then mask over it instead of masking off the rest of the car to apply the stripe.

I will attach the factory engineering drawing;

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005 - 09:00:41 PM »
Thanks to Alaskan_TA and all you others for the response. I am a newbie and it looks like this site will make my project much easier.
Barry (Salmon Arm)