How to repair a front windshield channel?

Author Topic: How to repair a front windshield channel?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline GEORGIA CUDA

How to repair a front windshield channel?
« on: November 28, 2005 - 12:10:48 PM »
Hi everyone,

Who has suggestions on how to repair the windshield channel on e-bodies?  Mine has a rusted out spot about two inches wide at the top about 4 inches in on the passenger side (Thanks to the vinyl top). The flat edge where the windshield actually lays is fine, it is just the vertical part of the channel where it steps up to meet the edge of the roof.  Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
Re: How to repair a front windshield channel?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005 - 07:03:26 PM »
On mine I just cut out the rusty pieces & made patches from 20 guage metal, tedius but it gets the job done! Rich.

Offline GEORGIA CUDA

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005 - 05:42:29 AM »
Thanks, I was wondering what guage metal to use.

Jason

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005 - 06:43:40 AM »
Hi everyone,

Who has suggestions on how to repair the windshield channel on e-bodies?  Mine has a rusted out spot about two inches wide at the top about 4 inches in on the passenger side (Thanks to the vinyl top). The flat edge where the windshield actually lays is fine, it is just the vertical part of the channel where it steps up to meet the edge of the roof.  Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

I'm no expert but if you go to this link, you can see some great stuff, I'm sure there are other links too but I've followed this one throughout the whole project. Impressive, most impressive.  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=6490.msg52791#msg52791

I'm sure Rusty will say there are better ways to do some of these things, and he has learned as he went along, we have learned from him too. There may be better ways, but there isn't a finer example of hard work and determination anywhere.

Offline GEORGIA CUDA

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005 - 02:31:17 PM »
That is a marathon thread!!!!!  But I did learn a few things and most of all, got motivated to do it myself!!

Jason

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005 - 04:44:05 PM »
 :-[  I hate to admit it, but thats just the last year or so of work, I have pics of countless small to large patches going on, the major pieces= floor pans, trunk pans & extensions, outer wheel wells, quarter panels, fender patches, hood hinge area patches, were all bought repro, a tail panel was bought used.
being in the learning process I did a lot of panel work off the car, well now that it's going back together it's showing, so I've also learned thats not the way to go, a lot of stuff is way off, if you can't do something on the car test mount , before , during & after welding, I've got a lot of work to do on stuff I already painted, that means strip it off & start over & the paint aint cheep!
I blew a fuse with my progress over at nuts, had to start a second thread, but the stuff a little earlier is on this thread if you got time to waste
http://moparnuts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399
 the real early stuff is spread out all over there & scat pack, but a lot of the pics are long gone!
with out the boards I think I would have junked it 2 years ago!  I'm gonna be so bored when this car is done, oh wait, I have another to do , mann I hope i live that long! Rich.  :faint:

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005 - 10:42:31 PM »
  I'm gonna be so bored when this car is done, oh wait, I have another to do , mann I hope i live that long! Rich.  :faint:

LMAO!! You and me both Rich, hang in there!!  :thumbsup:

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005 - 10:47:00 PM »
now i know why all the older cars have dissappeared from out here in Ca. :sadwavey:
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California