reunited with my original AAR

Author Topic: reunited with my original AAR  (Read 4652 times)

Offline rm23j8g

reunited with my original AAR
« on: November 28, 2005 - 08:24:13 PM »
Hi all...
Just found this site and it looks great!
I bought an AAR in 1971.  It never really did run quite right, as I think it had a hard life before I got it.  Factory exhaust was missing, and the driver's door had been hit and repainted....
The original motor labored on until sometime in '73 when it blew up big time.  I took it out and put a junkyard 273 hp in it and continued to drive it to work and such.  It actually ran a bit better than with the sick 340.
Anyway, I started my own business in '74, and didn't have time to mess with it, so I sold it.  I also had a '70 EB7 hemicuda at the time, and sold that too.  In retrospect, perhaps yet another "not so bright" move.
Lost track of both cars, until I heard someone talking about a blue AAR behind a house under a tree about 30 miles from me.  This was in 1990, I found out the location and paid the guy a visit.  Turns out, it was the guy who bought it from me.  He'd kept it a few years then sold it, and lost track of it too.  He missed the car and traced it through DMV, and bought it back.  He towed it home, and put it in his backyard where it had been since 1980.  He told me people had been bugging him about buying the car for years, because it could sorta be seen from the road in front of his house.  He refused to sell it, but since he sorta knew me since he bought it from me, he decided that I'd give it the home that it deserved.
Anyway, I struck a deal for the car, and...the original blown engine that he still had in his garage that I had thrown in with the deal when he bought it.  The car was a mess, but it was my original car, so it just had to be put back right.  Full restoration time, and the original motor, luckily repairable,  rebuilt and reinstalled.
What a thrill that was to fire up that 340 again after it blew on me some 25 years earlier!  And now it's once again "matching numbers".
If you were at Carlisle this year, you might have seen it.  It was the only EB5 AAR with an EB5 interior.  I tried for years before I got it back to find another one like it, but to no avail.  It also has quick steering, four speed/no console, 3.91 rear and the "plain" dash and nothing else but the AM radio...just the way I like it!
I was camping on the grounds all weekend with some buddies, and I had it parked with all the Trans Am cars.
I also have  a GG1 four speed '68 hemi Roadrunner hardtop that I've had since 1976, and an EW1 440/6 Superbird.  The latest addition is a FC7 '70 Challenger RT/SE, that I'm still getting to know.  My first "survivor" car with it's original paint. I've been going to the Nationals since about 1990 and Carlisle since it started the Mopar thing.  I've been a Mopar guy since my first one that I bought new in high school...a '68 440 GTX.
I'll post a few pics as soon as the weather is nice enough to take something out for a drive and a picture.
Looking forward to meeting some of you folks next year!  I'll probably have one of my cars at Carlisle for sure..
Guy
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005 - 08:35:15 PM by rm23j8g »

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
Re: reunited with my original AAR
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005 - 10:29:13 PM »
Wow...what a great story!!  :grinyes: That never happens!  A bunch of us from the site was at Carlisle last year...I bet one of us has a picture of your car!  We're all planning to go again next year if you want to tag along with this crazy bunch!

Glad to have you....looks like you'll fit right in!
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005 - 11:01:02 PM »
Hey Guy,
Welcome to the board! Great story too, is this your AAR?

http://www.challengertaregistry.com/photos/thumbnails/carlisle_2005/eb5_aar_2.jpg

T/Ake care,
Barry

dodgetkboy78

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005 - 12:21:28 AM »
Welcome!

:picture:

Offline rm23j8g

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005 - 07:20:04 AM »
Hey Guy,
Welcome to the board! Great story too, is this your AAR?

http://www.challengertaregistry.com/photos/thumbnails/carlisle_2005/eb5_aar_2.jpg

T/Ake care,
Barry
[/quotel]

Yep, that's it.  I also found that picture yesterday after following the TA/AAR Reunion photo links on this site.  I know there were some other EB5's with EB5 interior built, but I've yet to see another one.  The door panels, dash pad and of course, the seats and headliner were, of course, toast when I bought it back in '90.  It sure would have been easier to change the interior to black during the restoration, but....it just had to be the way I remembered it.  Lot's of parts scrounging at the Nats and a little vinyl dye here and there..... 
Guy

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005 - 07:25:53 AM »
That's a very cool story, Guy.  Glad you were able to find and restore one of your old cars.
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005 - 08:48:01 AM »
 That's a great story Guy, hope the business worked out for you. Love to see pics of your other cars, i'm sure they're in good hands. I'm particularly interested in the FC7 RT/SE as i have one although the only way 'survivor' can be applied to it is where the dashpad is concerned as it was bought new in Detroit and stayed there until 93 or so when i bought it. There's a pic in my avatar. Originally a 440-4bbl, auto, non-air, 3.55 axle package (A36), ps, pb and H5X9 interior with the black and white cloth inserts.

Welcome aboard, Russ

Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline rm23j8g

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005 - 09:10:24 AM »
Hi Russ...
Mine is a 383, but also has the 3.55 axle package, disc brakes and the H5X9 "houndstooth" interior and the six way driver's seat.  I just posted a couple of pics of it in another topic here.
Your dashpad is the only "survivor"??  Wow...usually one of the first things to go!
Is yours,  by any chance, an LA built car?  If so, did you find a build sheet?  That's one thing I dont' have yet, and apparently, a lot of cars had them removed before they left the LA plant.  I haven't yet dug deep into this car to look for it. 
Guy

That's a great story Guy, hope the business worked out for you. Love to see pics of your other cars, i'm sure they're in good hands. I'm particularly interested in the FC7 RT/SE as i have one although the only way 'survivor' can be applied to it is where the dashpad is concerned as it was bought new in Detroit and stayed there until 93 or so when i bought it. There's a pic in my avatar. Originally a 440-4bbl, auto, non-air, 3.55 axle package (A36), ps, pb and H5X9 interior with the black and white cloth inserts.

Welcome aboard, Russ

« Last Edit: November 29, 2005 - 09:15:13 AM by rm23j8g »

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005 - 09:35:01 AM »
Wow!  Awesome story, Guy!  Welcome!  Would love to see the pics when you have the time!

I know the original owner of my car wants it back but he'll have to wait his turn after my kids! 

He thought he blew the 340 like in your car and seized it (but in reality just the neck of the radiator fell off, soldered it back on, happy happy) and let it sit and sold the car.  Sold it to one guy, who let it sit, then he sold it to me.  Engine still runs great!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005 - 09:44:20 AM by Super Blue 72 »
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005 - 09:39:19 AM »
Hi Russ, The story is great. I'm still trying to buy back the first Challenger a 71 RT I owned but the guy does not really want to sell it but if he ever does it will be mine as I have known him for years as he lets me store my 2 parts cars at his place which are a 70 Cuda and a 73 Challenger. I'm glad this worked out for you and I hope it was all worth it.
Jeff

:wavingflag:

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005 - 11:23:52 AM »
"Hi Russ...
Mine is a 383, but also has the 3.55 axle package, disc brakes and the H5X9 "houndstooth" interior and the six way driver's seat.  I just posted a couple of pics of it in another topic here.
Your dashpad is the only "survivor"??  Wow...usually one of the first things to go!
Is yours,  by any chance, an LA built car?  If so, did you find a build sheet?  That's one thing I dont' have yet, and apparently, a lot of cars had them removed before they left the LA plant.  I haven't yet dug deep into this car to look for it. 
Guy"

My original seats had been replaced by plain vinyl ones front and back (it had been abandoned on a Detroit street, and sold at a Police auction to the fellow i bought it from) so unfortunately no build sheet and i don't think i had the six way driver's seat. Does the six way track bolt in differently than the non-six way? If so i'll be able to say with certainty on mine. Last year i found H5X9 front and rear seats on ebay in very nice shape about six months apart from two different sellers. I really thought they would be the hardest items for me to locate but color me very happily surprised!! Mine was a Hammtramck built car (JS29U0B).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005 - 11:05:44 PM by RusTy/SE »
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2005 - 06:43:12 PM »
Welcome , I`m sure I looked at your car at Carlisle this year 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2005 - 02:09:42 AM »
I didn't realize it, but I happened to get your car in the AAR photo I took.  I'd assume it's yours. :dunno:  (the second car in)
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Offline rm23j8g

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2005 - 01:16:09 PM »
I didn't realize it, but I happened to get your car in the AAR photo I took.  I'd assume it's yours. :dunno:  (the second car in)

Yep, that's it.  I think the survivor tent was right across the row from us and I was not too far from the end of the line of AARs, towards the car corral area. 
Guy

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2005 - 01:36:37 PM »
Cool!  So your car was close to that poor T/A that was up on a trailer in two separate pieces.  I was mad that someone took the time to bring that there until I read the entire story about why it was there in Mopar Muscle.  It was definitely a shame! :puke: