Bad Luck

Author Topic: Bad Luck  (Read 3957 times)

Offline YoungGun426

• Moto Soccer moms Hot, Moto moms hotter
Bad Luck
« on: November 30, 2005 - 03:40:41 PM »
   Thanks for the engine codes it was the 440, but it had me confused cause it HAD the steel hemi hood on it. Have any of you guys lost your car off the trailer before? I have had a big streem of bad luck, about a week ago I strapped the car to the trailer we were on the way to my uncles body shop and the d*** thing came off of the trailer and tore the whole front clip to he!!. That was the last thing I wanted on top of failing three test and catching a cold.  :( >:( :( >:( :( >:( :( >:( :( >:( :( >:( :( >:(

YoungGun
YoungGun

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
Re: Bad Luck
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005 - 04:40:07 PM »
First I always do when ever I get ready to trailer a car is kick the crap out of the front end to make sure it is strapped down securly.  Sure, it p!sses off some people, but I always ask them which they would rather have:  Their car laying in the street, or making to our destination?
{oo/===\oo}

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005 - 05:33:10 PM »
OMG that's terrible news!!  It would also completely FREAK me out!!   :hyper:  What car was it . . . the 440 dart??   :dunno:   

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005 - 05:37:22 PM »
How was the car tied down? I tie my cars down on all 4 corners. Front is tied down with 10,000 lb test axle straps around the lower control arms and 10,000 lb test nylon ratchet straps. On an E-Body, if they are there, i use the factory rear tie down brackets with the 10,000 lb test nylon ratchet straps. If there are no factory tie-down brackets, I use 10,000 lb test axle straps around the rear axle.

I also use equalizer bars on the trailer with a sway control. I buy the best towing equipment available...no reason to skimp on that stuff with the value of these cars!

RedLine

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005 - 06:26:33 PM »
sorry about your accident.  what caused it- was it on a turn, or on acceleration or hitting a huge bump?   and what actually came loose?

Offline YoungGun426

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005 - 09:44:08 PM »
 Thanks, It was the 440 Dart that went off, I had it tied at the rear end the bumper up front and through the intirior of the car I think it was the corner and the bump.
YoungGun

Offline VPOINTCUDA

• Wish she were done so I could take her out Ridin!
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005 - 10:46:49 PM »
Dude , don't freak me out like this! I have to trailer a car back from  New Jersey next saturday( if the guy doesn't sell it between now and then) ( Yeah, its Karl's '73 Chally!) I was gonna do it today, but they made us work. Fortunately , My cousin has a friend with an enclosed trailer. Does anyone think there will be any kind of problem like this with this type of trailer? I've never trailered a car before !
No scare tactics , please!
" the question isn't  when is he going to stop, but whose gonna stop him!"

RedLine

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005 - 11:17:59 PM »
Like Hemi71 said-- equalizer bars are highly recommended, but if your trailer is heavy enough-- (ours was 1800 lbs empty)  perhaps thats not necessary..  We towed with the Ram all the way from atlanta to carlisle with this setup and it was rock solid.... not the slightest fishtailing even at high speeds and many bumps and turns.

We used high strength straps in an "X" configuration in front and back.  worked perfect.  Turnbuckles/straps in "x" configuration in back... tied to the leafspring/brake areas in the back and then used 2 Ton winches to pull the car forward until locked down usiing the lower control arms in the front.  That allows the car to be locked to the trailer yet allows the shocks to absorb energy from the cars inertia.  see pics below.   

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005 - 12:46:35 AM »
I agree on the towing equipment , just ask April & SS

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005 - 10:46:25 AM »
Yes Chryco, WHat a difference with the equalizer bars.  I would NEVER tow without them again.  ME (before equalizer bars)-------->  :banghead:         :worshippy  <-------ME (after chrycho told us to get equalizer bars)

Offline VPOINTCUDA

• Wish she were done so I could take her out Ridin!
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2005 - 02:02:30 PM »
I will have to double check with the guy that owns the trailer. This is supposed to be an enclosed car trailer for towing his race car back and forth from the race track. He races at Englishtown N.J. and at Epping N.H.
Hopefully ( fingers crossed !) we won't run into any problems!
Thanks for the pictures, It is always a big help to actually see how it was done.  :thumbsup:
" the question isn't  when is he going to stop, but whose gonna stop him!"

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2005 - 07:06:31 PM »
Sorry about the freak accident. We should all learn something from this trailer accident. Hope when I pick up my trailer and start hauliing my Cuda or Challenger around I never have a problem like this.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline camjam

• Rare-it-T
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2005 - 07:19:19 PM »
One other thing is to make sure the weight on the trailer is properly distributed. More weight over the axles and toward the front. It is a good idea to use a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. They can handle the weight better.
71 Challenger R/T 383 4spd - 1 of 10 known to have been built for canada - restored
70 Charger R/T SE 440 auto - restored

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2005 - 07:29:21 PM »
Like Hemi71 said-- equalizer bars are highly recommended, but if your trailer is heavy enough-- (ours was 1800 lbs empty)  perhaps thats not necessary..  We towed with the Ram all the way from atlanta to carlisle with this setup and it was rock solid.... not the slightest fishtailing even at high speeds and many bumps and turns.

We used high strength straps in an "X" configuration in front and back.  worked perfect.  Turnbuckles/straps in "x" configuration in back... tied to the leafspring/brake areas in the back and then used 2 Ton winches to pull the car forward until locked down usiing the lower control arms in the front.  That allows the car to be locked to the trailer yet allows the shocks to absorb energy from the cars inertia.  see pics below.   

I use to do the X on the tie downs, until i talked with a manufacturer of the nylon tie downs. These tie downs are strongest when subjected to a straight pull. If you load them at an angle (as you do when you X them), they are not as strong when loaded that way. I now tie down my car without crossing the tiedowns. In the rear, i use the factory frame rail tie downs, and in the front i use an axle strap around the lower control arm.

You should always check your car on the trailer every 100-150 miles or so, make sure all the straps are tight. I alway check after the first 20 miles of driving, and the straps are always a little loose, just from the initial settling of the car on the trailer. Every time i stop for fuel or food, i check everytning...straps, Eq bars, safety chains, thump the tires, sway control, etc... never can be too safe.

And BTW..the heavier the trailer, the MORE you should use EQ bars.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005 - 07:57:46 PM by hemi71 »

Offline YoungGun426

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2005 - 08:06:44 PM »
Waz up, I got good news from my uncles body shop and there was almost no damage to the motor just need front end, fan and a new radiator.

YoungGun
YoungGun