Author Topic: I Don't Understand  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
Re: I Don't Understand
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005 - 09:09:19 PM »
Dakota...I might have missed it, but have you ever put it up in our "Cars for Sale" section? 
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline Prowler Orange Challenger

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005 - 10:07:23 PM »
Already did. Didn't have any luck on the site.

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005 - 10:11:31 PM »
I'll have to go look again...
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline moparguy01

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005 - 03:44:23 PM »
If you take it to a dealer I dont think you'll have much luck selling it for over 10k. most of these guys wont touch a car unless they feel they can make 5-6k on a car at least. Thats in my experience with them, and since i work with a few of them....

Your best bet will probably be to wait until spring and sell it on the bay. its hard telling.

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2005 - 10:36:53 PM »
Already did. Didn't have any luck on the site.

Did you delete the thread??? I cant find it on here or on carsonline.....
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline moparguy01

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2005 - 10:57:29 PM »

Offline Bondavi

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2005 - 02:54:27 AM »

Quite honestly, 318 cars don't fetch too much, between $6-12k at the most. There's a cornball here in the Sacramento area who had a '70 Western Sport Special car (brown metallic) 318 car, but since the car didn't have any paperwork to attest to its WSS originality, he just stuck a T/A hood and spoiler and called it a "T/A clone". Still wouldn't budge from his $12k asking price. As if he thought calling it a T/A clone would get it sold. Duh....

Your car obviously has more than just cosmetics. However still a tough sell. You said you had  more than $16k in the car, was that in the mechanical work or body? I couldn't find your thread to see the pics.
David

'70 Challenger R/T FC7 440-6 4spd N96 3.54 Dana - SOLD

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2005 - 10:17:12 AM »
Sorry guys for the misunderstanding. Okay there seems to be some confusion on the car. It was a 318 originally. Then when the second owner got it was sporting a 73 440 BB. That got tired and he had the drivetrain rebuilt. He replaced the 73 440 with a 383 HP out of a 70 RR and had it bored .030 over, HP Manifolds, 750 cfm Edelbrock Carb, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, MP 484 cam I think and 10:75:1 pistons I believe but, not sure on that one. He kept the 727 that came behind the 440 and had it rebuilt. The car spent most of its life in Wyoming so it didn't come from a saltbelt state. It still has its original floor pans, trunk pan, inner fenders. For some reason the first owner put 70 Challenger Fenders on it and the third owner had the quarters replaced and then took some parts off of this car to put parts on his 70 R/T which I was not happy about but, hey I got bumpers, exhaust tips, and door panels from a 70 R/T Challenger :roflsmiley:
Anyways, its not a perfect car like I said. The paint is fairly old and it still looks good. I wouldn't repaint it except the dummy that drove it on gravel got rock chips on the bottom but, that's it really. As for the price I was including what I had in the engine, interior, extra wheels, electricals, delivery, taxes, title, and labor put into this car thus far. To get to where I would want it it would probably put me up to mid twenties because I think it would look great in Prowler Orange with Cragar Pro Star Wheels and a back R/T Stripe.
Anyways, when I bought the car he was asking $16000 for it and I paid $15k for it. When I bought it wasn't cleaned up that good. There was a lot of dust on the inside and one night I took 2 hrs cleaning up in the interior and everything. And then I did some other stuff so it definitely looks better than when I bought it. Anyways, I'm would like to sell it soon but, I'm not desperate to just give the car away knowing what it is. Like I said its not a show car but, close and its a good driver. I know right now isn't a great to sell but, if I throw out there someone may want to buy it. It's a buyers market right now and that's what it has become generally speaking with prices of cars and parts the way they are. Anyways, take care and have a good day.

Offline Bondavi

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2005 - 03:31:30 AM »
My point being, people LOOK at the original code of the car, and yours being a BH23G car makes it such. The interesting thing I have read lately is that twice as many Challengers were produced than Barracudas (and 'Cudas). Yet, of all the 'Cudas produced, there were fewer Challenger R/T's, T/A's, and special editions produced. So that says a lot....quite a number of regular 318 Challengers were produced, which made up the bulk. Heck, 225 I-6 Challengers were pretty rare, as well as the L-code 383 2-barrel. If you're looking to make some money, plop a crate Hemi in or a good 440. People seem to excuse the fact a car was a G-code 318 only if it is a Hemi or six pack clone.

Seriously you need to be open to losing more than $1k in the car. You need to bridge yourself between the restorable N-code R/T's which seem to run between $15-20k. However, the right buyer will come, its a matter of negotiation. Your car sounds very decent!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005 - 03:42:07 AM by Bondavi »
David

'70 Challenger R/T FC7 440-6 4spd N96 3.54 Dana - SOLD

Offline Andrew

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2005 - 03:58:02 AM »
The interesting thing I have read lately is that twice as many Challengers were produced than Barracudas (and 'Cudas). Yet, of all the 'Cudas produced, there were fewer Challenger R/T's, T/A's, and special editions produced. So that says a lot....quite a number of regular 318 Challengers were produced, which made up the bulk.
Thats because they stopped making R/Ts in '71, but they kept making 'cudas after that.

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2005 - 04:05:01 AM »
Actually, if I sold it as is now I'd be loosing 2k with what I got into in. I said I paid $15k but, that doesn't include the delivery, parts, taxes, and a couple of other things. I'll be happy to get $15k out of it. As far as 71 R/Ts are concerned most R/Ts I've seen on the net sell easily for $25k-30k.

Offline o1mrquick

• sonic auto sucks
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2005 - 11:53:36 PM »
how about a link to it?  like to see it.  what color is it?   vin

Offline 1970RTSE

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2005 - 11:16:56 AM »
I understand your frustration.  I had a 72 Challenger Rallye project for sale over a two year period.  Tons of parts on a solid shell and a complete drivetrain.  I could sell that thing to save my life.  I was only asking $1800 and could have easily got more than that of the parts alone.  Anyway, after two times on ebay and several months on other boards I gave up.  Everyone wants the 70 Hemi Cuda for $1000 needing nothing but a repaint.  Then you hear everyone complain about not being able to find a decent priced project car.  I'll be cutting it up this spring for parts and plan on hitting some of the major shows.  No its not for sale anymore.  Since I have stored it for the past 4 years, I might as well get some money out of it.

Oldschool

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2005 - 02:18:38 PM »
...and even long after it sells. There are cars on there still that have been sold for over a year.

Mike,  you were right. Here is another reason for the site to delete sold vehicles.  :swear:  If you bought a car off of that site and decided to re-sell it, with a profit in mind,  it would still show up on the site under the "sold" banner.  :banghead: This would conflict with the new for sale ad with the "new" price.  :22yikes:  YOu would be competing with the "old" ad, and that wouldn't work very well.  :pullinghair: .......Oldschool