Author Topic: I wrote an article about Barracudas, could you guys check it for accuracy please  (Read 6414 times)

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
I am a moderator at a forum for Young Gun Domestic car owners, called www.domesticdisturbance.us

I just wrote an article about the Barracuda for the site, and would much appreciate it if you guys would read it through, to see if I made any mistakes.  Thanks.

Barracudas (arguably, the FIRST Pony car) came out in early 1964. They were basically fastback Valiants. They remained virtually unchanged through 1966, with the base models having a Slant 6, or a 273-2v. The perfomance option was the 273-4v Commando powered Formula S. In 1967, it was completely redesigned, into the 2nd generation. The Fastback remained, but added to the lineup was the new Coupe and Convertible. The 2nd generation was the last A body generation, and stayed mostly the same through 1969, styling wize. However, engine options were a different story. In 67, you could get a base Slant 6 Barracuda, or 273-2v Barracuda. The performance option was still the Formula S package, which added dual exhaust, stiffer suspension, and better engines: the 273-4v Commando, or the big block 383-4v. In 68, the 273 Commando was replaced by the 340 HiPo. The 383 remained. However, about 100 Fastback Barracudas were sent to Hurst, to have a 426 HEMI installed. These were the Hurst SS/AA Barracudas, which were ONLY available to approved drag racers. In 69, the 440-4v was added to the Formula S lineup, as was the brand new 'Cuda performance package, which had the 340, 383, and the 440. This package included dual hoodscoops, and a stiffer suspension.

In 1970, the Barracuda stopped using the A body platform, and was built on the newly created E body platform. In 1970, the engine options were the 225 slant 6, the 318, and the 383-2v for base models. A new luxury package, called the Gran Coupe, was added, and could be had with the base model engines, plus a VERY few cars had the HiPo 383-4v. The 'Cuda had the 383-4v standard, with the 340 small block, the 440, 440-6v, and the HEMI as options. The Formula S package was dropped, as was the fastback body style. In 1971, the 'Cuda was again restyled, with 4 headlights, instead of 2, and a drastically changed grill, as well as fender "gills". The public rebelled, and sales fell from 1970. 71 had basically the same engine options as before, but the engines were slightly detuned. The 71 HEMI 'Cuda convertible is considered the Holy Grail of the Mopar world, since only 11 were made. The 1972 Barracuda returned to the 70-esque styling, with 2 headlights, and an open grill, with a center "I" piece. In 72, the 'Cuda lost the big block options, and could be ordered only with the base 318, or the optional 340. The base model Barracuda had the 225, or the 318. The Gran Coupe and Convertible models were dropped. Things remained virtually unchanged for 1973, except for some minor styling changes. In 1974, the 340 was replaced after a 6 year run, by the 360. This was the last year for the E body line, and had the least sales of any year of the E bodies.

Today, the 1970-71 'Cudas are among the most sought after muscle cars of all time, as well as one of the most expensive.

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
Sound pretty good to me except the part of the 71 hemi verts. I could be wrong but I believe the number is up to 14..
JS27
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006 - 12:01:06 PM by Rev-It-Up »
1967 GTX
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Sound pretty good to me except the part of the 71 hemi verts. I could be wrong but I believe the number is up to 14..
JS27

As far as I know, it's 11.    :dunno:   

7 - US
2 - Canada
2 - Europe

Offline Killer_Mopar

I think the "official" number is 11, but I remember hearing that is was originally 7 and they kept finding more...so who knows? The rest of the article seems correct. The only thing that I really wasnt sure about was the Hurst SS Barracudas. I thought that there were 50 Barracudas and 50 Darts made....
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline Ghost

• Resident
I think the "official" number is 11, but I remember hearing that is was originally 7 and they kept finding more...so who knows? The rest of the article seems correct. The only thing that I really wasnt sure about was the Hurst SS Barracudas. I thought that there were 50 Barracudas and 50 Darts made....

I thought that it was 100 of each.  I'll do a little more research into it.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert

Wasn't the Mustang the first Pony car?
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline A383Cuda

• Sal's Muscle Cars
The Baracuda was introduced two weeks before the Mustang. My question is, why wasn't the 1961 409 Impala considered the first pony car. It was their intermediate body size.  :dunno:

Oldschool

I'm not sure, but I just saw something about that the other day and it seems like since the Impala's were both 2 and 4 door cars, they did not call them ponycars. The Mustangs and Barracuda's only came as a 2 door car. :dunno:.  Again I'm only trying to recall what I heard.........Oldschool

Offline Ghost

• Resident
The Baracuda was introduced two weeks before the Mustang. My question is, why wasn't the 1961 409 Impala considered the first pony car. It was their intermediate body size.  :dunno:

The Impala was too big to be a Pony car.  If you look at it, it's the size of a B or C body.  Plus, the trunk is too long, Pony cars typically had short trunklids.  It may have been considered the first MUSCLE car.

Offline tttaziz

Good article!  Only issue I'd have is that the 70-71 base Barracuda was also available with the 198 six and the 383 4-bbl.

Pony cars were generally considered those that were built off a compact platform.  Barracuda on the Valiant and Mustang on the Falcon.

Offline Ghost

• Resident
Re: I wrote an article about Barracudas, could you guys check it for accuracy pl
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005 - 11:13:29 PM »
Good article!  Only issue I'd have is that the 70-71 base Barracuda was also available with the 198 six and the 383 4-bbl.

Thanks!  Corrections have been made. :cheers:

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's

Wasn't the Mustang the first Pony car?
Ok NZ you really crossed the line with that comment,lol :pullinghair:

Kidding :dupe:
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline Ghost

• Resident
Re: I wrote an article about Barracudas, could you guys check it for accuracy pl
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005 - 11:40:46 PM »
So, just those 2 engine choices for the 70-71 Barracudas were all I got wrong?

Not bad, considering how I wrote almost the entire thing from memory.

Quick question, though.  What year was the 318 added to the lineup?  68 or 69?  I know the 273 wasn't available for the 69s, replaced by the 318, but, what about 68?

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005 - 12:32:43 AM »
That's a great write up, Ghost.  Though not really a major issue, maybe you could make a note that the E-body stemmed from the B-body platform and was listed as a mid-size pony car?  Just some added information if you would want to clarify how they came to be.  Also, maybe mention the wheelbase was 108" for 'Cudas as opposed to its stablemate, the Challenger's, 110" wheelbase?  I may be just too specific with these, so you decide.  The article is great either way! :thumbsup:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
Great writeup, and a great site you have. But wasn't the 400 in big block available when the other big blocks fell short?  :cheers:
Member of The Rapid Transit System