I wrote an article about Barracudas, could you guys check it for accuracy please

Author Topic: I wrote an article about Barracudas, could you guys check it for accuracy please  (Read 6422 times)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Great write up, Ghost.  And from memory?  Even greater!

One thing though.  From what I recall from some research I did on another post, I don't believe the Formula S package added dual exhaust if you got the 273.  The 273 was a carry-over engine from the 1st generation Barracudas, which didn't have room underneath for dual exhaust.  Since the 273 was on the way out, Plymouth didn't want to put anymore effort to redesign the exhaust for the duals.  I think the dual exhaust was dependent on the engine, i.e. the 383 got duals because it was a 383, not due to the Formula S.  I could be wrong.  Let me look for some info.  Thanks!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
Re: I wrote an article about Barracudas, could you guys check it for accuracy pl
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005 - 07:25:42 AM »
Great writeup, and a great site you have. But wasn't the 400 in big block available when the other big blocks fell short?  :cheers:

No, the 400 RB block wasn't available in E-bodies from '72-'74.  Though they did replace the BB engines for some Mopars, E-bodies weren't one of them. :thumbsup:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Here's some info at this page: http://www.allpar.com/history/plymouth/plymouths-1968.html

Take a look and see.  I might be wrong.  :)

"The big engine left room for neither air conditioning nor the power steering that would have been especially welcome in such a front-heavy car. And changing spark plugs on a hot engine was "almost suicidal" according to Dahlquist. More appropriate as a high performance mill for the Barracuda was the 273 Commando. Although putting out 45 less horsepower, the LA small block was much lightcr--100 pounds, to be exact--and provided for a much better balanced driving machine. Since it was a carryover from the first generation Barracuda which had no chassis room for dual exhausts, the Commando 273 still carried its low-restriction single exhaust system with its large square resonator. Although its new chassis did have space for duals, which were standard on the 383, Plymouth chose not to spend development dollars for 273 duals. In 1968, the 273 Commando was set to be replaced by a much more potent 340 small block destined for legend status.

A required option on all 383-equipped Barracudas was the Formula S package. It featured bigger torsion bars, a front sway bar, heavy duty shocks, six-leaf rear springs, 5.5x14 wheels with wide oval fires, ten-inch brakes and, of course, round front fender medallions. Disk brakes, also a required option with the 383, were available on all Barracudas, the standard Barracuda engine was the 225 Slant Six. A 273 two-barrel was the standard V8."
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline oldvamoparfan

• MOPAR; The only way to go!!!!!!!
Add 1 minor change:  '66 Barracudas ( & Valiants) had different hood, bumpers front fenders, grille, & backup light bezels than 64 & 65. Also, the badge in the chrome across the bottom of the rear glass was changed from the Valiant "V" to a fish (Barracuda) The 273HP did not have dual exhausts, but had a free flowing muffler w/ a large square tip on the tailpipe. I put duals on my '65 when I built it, but there really isnt much room, especially between the engine & the torsion bar on the left side.   Ovmf
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005 - 04:39:39 PM by 4cruzin »
'72 Challenger 360,  '05 Dakota,   04 Town & Country,   '82 Yamaha 650 Maxim

Offline Maxedwell

• This is pre-restoration picture 2002...
I'm thinking the 360 engine was available as early as '73? Someone else can help me out...
Maxedwell

1970 383 Barracuda - probably going to be a Cuda clone...
I've got a long ways to go - will it be worth the wait and $? Time will tell.....

Offline Sal-Chichon

• 'Cuda Cop cars!! (Dreaming I guess) chargers R OK

Wasn't the Mustang the first Pony car?

WTF!!!!!!! :puke2: :faint:  I'm at work and just had to Use my taser on myself to recover from the this comment.

yeah mustangs were the first "pony Car" because the Barracudas were "stallions" and you have to have stallions before you get ponies (usually longer than 2.5 weeks but hey, what ever works)!!!

J/K - on the WTF - But like always the mustang will be second to Barracudas, at everything except being a POS and OVER RATED

P.S. The Firefighters are mopar fans (Just watching the stang burn)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005 - 01:40:51 PM by Sal-Chichon »
F Rustangs and Crumaros!!! 'Cuda,  the only way to go, except maybe a Challenger!

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
Re: I wrote an article about Barracudas, could you guys check it for accuracy pl
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2005 - 04:11:05 PM »
That's a great write up, Ghost.  Though not really a major issue, maybe you could make a note that the E-body stemmed from the B-body platform and was listed as a mid-size pony car?  Just some added information if you would want to clarify how they came to be.  Also, maybe mention the wheelbase was 108" for 'Cudas as opposed to its stablemate, the Challenger's, 110" wheelbase?  I may be just too specific with these, so you decide.  The article is great either way! :thumbsup:

Well, I plan on doing another article about Challengers, so I'll include that info there, since the Challenger was just an E body.  In the meantime, info about the Challengers engine options, etc would be appreciated.

Oh, and here is the finished article:

Barracudas (arguably, the FIRST Pony car) came out in mid 1964, 2 weeks before the Mustang.  They were basically fastback Valiants.  They remained virtually unchanged through 1965, with the base models having a 225 Slant 6, or a 273-2v.  The perfomance option was the 273-4v Commando powered Formula S.  It had some minor styling changes for 66, including the hood, grill, and bumpers.  In 1967, it was completely redesigned, into the 2nd generation.  The Fastback remained, but added to the lineup was the new Coupe and Convertible.  The 2nd generation was the last A body generation, and stayed mostly the same through 1969, styling wize.  However, engine options were a different story.  In 67, the base model engines were unchanged.  The performance option was still the Formula S package, which a stiffer suspension, and better engines:  the 273-4v Commando, or the big block 383-4v.  In 68, the 273-2v was replaced by the venerable 318, and the 273 Commando was replaced by the 340 HiPo.  The 383 remained.  However, 70 Fastback Barracudas were sent to Hurst, to have a 426 HEMI installed.  These were the Hurst SS/AA Barracudas, which were ONLY available to approved drag racers.  In 69, the 440-4v was added to the Formula S lineup, as was the brand new 'Cuda performance package, which had the 340, 383, and the 440.  This package included dual hoodscoops, and a beefed up suspension.

In 1970, the Barracuda stopped using the A body platform, and was built on the newly created E body platform.  In 1970, the engine options were the 198 and 225 slant 6s, the 318, and the 383-2v for base models.  A few base model Barracudas had the HiPo 383-4v.  A new luxury package, called the Gran Coupe, was added, and could be had with the base model engines, plus a VERY few cars had the HiPo 383-4v.  The 'Cuda had the 383-4v standard, with the 340 small block, the 440, 440-6v, and the HEMI as options.  The Formula S package was dropped, as was the fastback body style.  In 1971, the 'Cuda was again restyled, with 4 headlights, instead of 2, and a drastically changed grill, as well as fender "gills".  The public rebelled, and sales fell from 1970.  71 had basically the same engine options as before, but the engines were slightly detuned.  The 71 HEMI 'Cuda convertible is considered the Holy Grail of the Mopar world, since only 11 are known to have been made.  The 1972 Barracuda returned to the 70-esque styling, with 2 headlights, and an open grill, with a center "I" piece.  In 72, the 'Cuda lost the big block options, and could be ordered only with the base 318, or the optional 340.  The base model Barracuda had the 225, or the 318.  The Gran Coupe and Convertible models were dropped.  Things remained virtually unchanged for 1973, except for some minor styling changes.  In 1974, the 340 was replaced after a 6 year run, by the 360.  This was the last year for the E body line, and had the least sales of any year of the E bodies.

Today, the 1970-71 'Cudas are among the most sought after muscle cars of all time, as well as one of the most expensive.

Oldschool

Great job Ghost.  :worshippy  You are very thorough without rambling too much.  You ought to keep that stored away in case someone needs a brief/thorough article.  I know I'll file it away for later.........Thanks.........................Oldschool

Offline inot2old

Great article Ghost.  But were the slant 6 still available in '72?  I thought the only engine options after '71 was 318 or 340 (360 in '74).
'71 Cuda 

'70 Charger project
'05 Crossfire Roadster

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert

The Mustang was the first Pony car, 1964 Barracuda is hardly what I'd call a Pony car....  :-\

Yes it's a Mustang but I can appricate any Muscle/Pony car MoPar or not.........  :thumbsup: Just telling it how it is.

I still wouldn't buy one though.  :lol2:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
Ghost,
I'm sorry about the 14 made as I said I wasn't sure I might have mixed them up with the 70's.
I just turned 50 and already I'm having SENIOR MOMENTS !!!
JS27 ( i think )
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006 - 11:22:44 AM by Rev-It-Up »
1967 GTX
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2005 - 08:15:09 PM »
Ghost,
I'm sorry about the 14 made as I said I wasn't sure I might have mixed them up with the 70's.
I just turned 50 and already I'm having SENIOR MOMENTS !!!
JS27 ( i think )

It's not a problem.  In fact, that's why I said 11 KNOWN 71 HEMI ragtops. :biggrin:

Offline tttaziz

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2005 - 10:26:18 PM »
For the Plymouth E-Body record:

1972 engines:  225 / 318 / 340

1973 engines:  318 / 340

1974 engines:  318 / 360

Offline oldvamoparfan

Good job Ghost,  That is in fact, a very good summary on Barracudas.  As for the first muscle cars, most of the Auto Media tends to forget the early Hemi Cars from Dodge, Desoto & Chrysler, as well as the '56 to '58 Plymouth Fury, which was a fairly lightweight car w/ 2 4 bls stock from the factory.  Another defining character of so called pony cars, was the long hood & short deck.  This requirement was filled by the '62 to '65 B body cars, (Coronets, Savoys, Belvideres, Furys (Small body, '62 to '64) which by the way, also were available w/ Big block engines, up to & including the 413 Max wedge, & the 426 wedge engine, & starting in '64, the 426 Hemi.  True muscle cars came from Chrysler first.  It's just that GM & Ford fans cant stand to admit it.   OVMF

Offline oldvamoparfan

IE;  Check this '63 Plymouth Savoy.  This one was a slant 6, but this car w/ 383 or 413 was a holy terror!!!!  Ovmf