I wrote an article about Barracudas, could you guys check it for accuracy please

Author Topic: I wrote an article about Barracudas, could you guys check it for accuracy please  (Read 6419 times)

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
Re: I wrote an article about Barracudas, could you guys check it for accuracy pl
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2005 - 05:25:19 PM »
I just realized....  I completely left out the AARs.... :banghead:

Here is the newly added part.

A new package, called the AAR 'Cuda, was created, for 1970 only.  In most aspects, it was the same as a regular 'Cuda.  However, there were a few major differances.  The AAR had a special hood, with a large intake, and a unique ducktail spoiler on the trunk.  There was only one engine choice for the AAR:  The new 340-6v, which was ONLY available in the 1970 AAR 'Cudas, and it's sisters, the T/A Challengers.  The AAR and the T/A were built so that Mopar could compete in the Trans Am races.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert

Just a quick add in, let them know the hood was fiberglass.  :thumbsup:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Ghost

• Resident
Re: I wrote an article about Barracudas, could you guys check it for accuracy pl
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2005 - 05:28:21 PM »
It was?  Hmmm, didn't know that.

Done.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2005 - 05:31:17 PM »
It was? 

Definitely. I know the T/A hoods part number is: 3443685 but have lost the Cuda number.  :banghead: :biggrin:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Andrew

• Resident
And that it had a queer exaust system that went back behind the axle like the regular 'cuda except then doubled back and came out in front of the wheel openings.
I didnt put it very well there but you probibly know more about it than me.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
And that it had a queer exaust system that went back behind the axle like the regular 'cuda except then doubled back and came out in front of the wheel openings.
I didnt put it very well there but you probibly know more about it than me.

I don't think that it went over the rear axle and doubled back.  The inlet and outlet pipes to the muffler were on one end, facing the front of the car.  The exhaust went in the muffler, through a "U" shaped pipe, then exited.  Nothing in back of the mufflers.

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline gotacuda23

• 73 mist green 440 cuda
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2005 - 10:39:15 AM »
i dont know that much about mopar yet, but from what if seen didnt the AARs have the dotted stripe down the side?

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
I don't think that it went over the rear axle and doubled back.  The inlet and outlet pipes to the muffler were on one end, facing the front of the car.  The exhaust went in the muffler, through a "U" shaped pipe, then exited.  Nothing in back of the mufflers.

They also had more arch in the rear springs and bigger rear tires to help give the exhaust ground clearance.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline Ghost

• Resident
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2005 - 02:54:24 PM »
i dont know that much about mopar yet, but from what if seen didnt the AARs have the dotted stripe down the side?

Yes, they had the strobe stripe down the side.

Offline oldvamoparfan

• MOPAR; The only way to go!!!!!!!
One other thing about AAR's;  Because Trans Am Cars were limited to 5 liters max, (read 305 Cu In) competition 340's had to be sleeved down to make the size limitation.  Ovmf   
'72 Challenger 360,  '05 Dakota,   04 Town & Country,   '82 Yamaha 650 Maxim

Offline Ghost

• Resident
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2005 - 08:43:25 PM »
One other thing about AAR's;  Because Trans Am Cars were limited to 5 liters max, (read 305 Cu In) competition 340's had to be sleeved down to make the size limitation.  Ovmf   

I thought about that, but didn't include it, because that was not done to the production models.

Offline oldvamoparfan

If everyone put in every little detail, (like me & others) the article would become quite lengthy.  I believe the original intent was that it not be too  unwieldy, & as such, your version is quite good.   Tks,  Ovmf

Offline Andrew

• Resident
Was it possible to get a stripe delete AAR?

Offline Rob C

oldvamoparfan;  The engines were no re-sleved, but destroked. The crank was in the catologs for years.

Andrew; No the stripe was part of the package. No deleates.

That picture,  Good picture of the exhaust. It shows the double back pipeing. No over the axle exhaust here.

JS27N0B; I also heard, not sure about this, but also tire clearance for the first time ever on any car, 2 different size tires were used and the arch of the springs was for the taller tires and apearance of more rake. At spped, (Read real fast), the car would level out some due to the spoilers (MINimal) down force.
The more familar and seen "GO" wing will do this. From the been there and done that, it'll push the rear downward.

NZ440R/T  mentions the hood was fiberglass. Also a noteable mention is the hood is functional to feed air to the 6pac set up. In case of water/rain, not car wash, the pan has drain holes/ducks(?) with tubes to direct water away.
(Hello NZ)

They remained virtually unchanged through 1966,
should read until 66.
In 1967, it was completely redesigned, into the 2nd generation.
  Should read '66
The Impala was too big to be a Pony car.  If you look at it, it's the size of a B or C body.
The Impala was big, but, not as large as a B body car....The '58 Impala was much larger than the early 60's Impala. From this start, they were never deemed to be part of a pony car. I think they were intermediates in there size discription. Though later years like the 64 and earlier became small, they were just simply called compacts. They did get a nice dose of muscle  and so termed muscle cars.
The term/title pony car started with the Mustang due to the "Horse" in the grill. Being a smaller car and not a large one, it became known as pony, for smaller horse like a smaller car.
The style of the car, long nose/short deck lid (Trunk) was the sig. of a pony car. Something the Impala never had. MoPar has 2 "Pony" cars. The E body Cuda and Challenger. Thats it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005 - 08:32:26 AM by rumblefish360 »
'73 Cuda, 360, 4psd & 4.10's
'79 Dodge Magnum, 360, 727, 9-1/4 W/3.55's

Offline oldvamoparfan

Re;  Impalas,  All Impalas were in big Chevy body until they built the new front wheel drives.  Lost of people called the Biscaynes, Bel Airs etc, small Chevys, but were in fact the identical same car with different trim.  The Malibu (or Chevelle was Chevs equivilant to Mopars intermediate body.  My uncle sold Chevys for decades, starting in'58, so I have had occasion to ride or drive one of just about all Chevy configurations since then. The under carriage of the big Chevys was basically the same from '58 throughat least '64, w/ drastic sheet metal changes to achieve the different looks.  Ovmf