Vehicle Emission Testing

Author Topic: Vehicle Emission Testing  (Read 1217 times)

Offline mikey1

Vehicle Emission Testing
« on: December 04, 2005 - 08:19:06 AM »
Hello all,
I was wondering what it is like in the states and possibly other places in licencing classic cars such as our with all the new federal clean air acts/emission testing requirements.and environmental pressures. I know it is getting much stricter here in Canada, but they just keep taxing the @##@# out of you until the government is ok with it. It may possibibly be worse in the states?
I overheard some grumbling at work re this last week but didn't hear any specifics.
cheers
Mike
Schist happens to Gneiss people

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
Re: Vehicle Emission Testing
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005 - 09:39:40 AM »
Here In california(land of fruits and nuts)Anything from 1974 and older does not need to be smog tested.
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005 - 09:59:26 AM »
Nothing in Alabama that i know of...basically if birds and other small creatures aren't dropping dead after you've driven by, then you've passed the local emissions standards :22yikes: However i believe they have Emissions Test Centers next door to me in Georgia.
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005 - 10:22:34 AM »
Same here in missouri, anything past a certain age doesn't have to have all that garbage.

Moparnut, you live in the capital of smog regulations, I believe it was california that destroyed a ton of old mopars for emmision reasons.
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

RedLine

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005 - 10:26:31 AM »
 :roflsmiley: Russ that was funny  :roflsmiley:   I cought a visual along I-20

Offline dix

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005 - 11:32:30 AM »
in pittsburgh  pa any thing 20 years old does not have to be tested . also any car/truck with less than 7,000 miles a year doesn't test either also classic and antiques dix...

Offline bentpshrods

• Almost there, Boise Id.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005 - 01:41:55 PM »
In Idaho any vehicle from 1964 and newer needs to be inspected. If you buy a classic plate--you do not need  an emmission test. I just had mine done but failed the first time because the car idled above 1200 rpm. I had to drive to the other side off parking lot and adjust it down, they said I could'nt do any adjustments in their presence. Came back around and still failled--Guess I'll be buying classic plate this spring

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005 - 02:23:10 PM »
Here In california(land of fruits and nuts)Anything from 1974 and older does not need to be smog tested.
Yep and that's why I decided to sell my 96 truck and buy my 72 Challenger to use as my commuter. I got tired of all the overpriced smog testing, and replacement smog parts. Now I just pay my $42.00 a year for registration and I'm good to go LOL
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline mr_bill

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005 - 03:19:03 PM »
It really depends on the state.  Here in AZ I not only have to pass emmisions, but what they inspect is apparently up to the discretion of the actual inspector. When I asked for a hard copy of what I was to be tested for, I was handed a book, and told "It's in here", but no where in there did it list SPECIFIC requirements.  This state took a cue from CA, and ran with it...  I was originally told there would be no equipment inspection, then they failed me on my gas gap and did a "visual ispection" on my Vapor canister.  When I went back for the retest, they never even looked at it or opened the hood...  I hate Arizona's emmisions program...

bill

Oldschool

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2005 - 03:38:12 PM »
So far Georgia has not requireed these older cars to take a test.  Even if they did, it's like evry thing else run by the government, If you need it to pass, and you know the right person, it will pass.  I have never had to make any repairs on any of my vehicles.  I just take it to my man, leave it and come back.  Done deal.  I guess they have always been in working order!  :roflsmiley: ........................Oldschool

Offline VPOINTCUDA

• Wish she were done so I could take her out Ridin!
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2005 - 09:33:56 PM »
Here in little Rhodey , its 1975 and newer only need to pass emmissions. ( Thank GOD!)  :woohoo:
" the question isn't  when is he going to stop, but whose gonna stop him!"