Air shock or...?

Author Topic: Air shock or...?  (Read 1344 times)

Offline basement

Air shock or...?
« on: December 04, 2005 - 07:41:22 PM »
 :1zhelp: My 74 Challenger came equipped with air shocks on the rear. As far setting up the stance of the rear of the car it's nice to have the air but what am I sacrificing in terms of performance and ride? What do all of you guys use? It is a stock 360, 4-speed.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Air shock or...?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005 - 08:24:49 PM »

I'm using Edelbrock performer IAS shocks. They are firm as! But, I think I'm going to loose some comfort over traction and performance.
I can handle a little stiffer ride if it means keeping the BFG's to the road.......after all, Challenger's aren't the greatest of limousines.  :lol:

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005 - 10:22:49 PM »
As far as the air shocks, assuming you're putting the back end up to give it a mean stance, you may end up losing some handling.  You're increasing the center of gravity and thus potentially inducing rear sway.  I would imagine the ride to get harsher as you increase the height. ( I don't have them personally, so I'm making assumptions.)  I'm not sure of the design of the air shock but I would guess that the more you pump them up, the harsher the ride and then the less planted the wheels will be, maybe inducing more wheel hop over bumps.  Just a guess.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

They do make the car look really cool, though.  But keep in mind that when the air shocks are jacking up the rear, your decreasing the load on the leafsprings and increasing the stress put on the upper shock mounts.  I'm not sure on E-bodies but I heard rumor on old Camaros that have some rust issues the top of the shocks may poke through the upper shock mounts so you can see the shocks when you pop the trunk, so I've been told.

Also, if your jacking up the back to get tire clearance, there's always the possibility ( my pessimism or Murphy's Law?) if you're shocks spring a leak, your tire's will rub on the wheel wells, potentially damaging body/tires.

Again, they do look really cool! :thumbsup:

Just my 2 cents.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005 - 11:06:00 PM »
Air shocks are terrible for cornering unless you use separate air lines to each shock , with one line to both shocks the air will transfer frm the outside shock to the less loaded side adding to the sway of the body 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Rob C

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005 - 08:03:46 PM »
I have run air shocks in my Cuda for a long time. There are bennifits to them, but not many. Your batter off with regular type units in allmost every case.
The point of make use of an air shock is to level out the ride or restore a level ride when pulling/trailering. The other use of air shocks would be to perform a double duty on a street strip car. Todays shocks take care of that since purchaseing adjustable shocks are really not any more expensive and probably cheaper than air shocks. To use air shocks on a street strip car, you would need a pump at the track and a very good gauge to monotor the pressure within. It would be best to seperate the line to the shocks though a central conection is bad ethier, just less adjustable.

Adjusting the pressure at the track per condition witch can change rapidly, min. to min. run by run can lead to an edge if you know exatly where to put it. To much induces wheel hop, also less shock travel which is bad as well, not enuff air also can cause poor tractiona nd cause the car on the big end to have a rear end swagger/sway since the air is pushing the rear up.

I would suggest for a street strip or strip only car, ethier S/S springs or a set of Cal-Tracs with adjustable shocks fore and aft. Comp also has there slide-a-link which is very very much like the cal-tracs.
There ride quality is said to be very good.

Air shocks by themselfs are not bad in ride, but I think you would like a good gas charged shock. The Edelbrock as suggested above has a good rep as far as quality ride and make. If your car is stock to a mild modified ride, they would fit the bill well.
'73 Cuda, 360, 4psd & 4.10's
'79 Dodge Magnum, 360, 727, 9-1/4 W/3.55's

Offline xblade

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005 - 08:10:13 PM »
throw the air shocks away.