Hemi Challenger New or Old, what would you buy?

Author Topic: Hemi Challenger New or Old, what would you buy?  (Read 6114 times)

Offline 71 shaker

• the day i got her,in 1987
Re: Hemi Challenger New or Old, what would you buy?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2005 - 10:47:44 PM »
i dont know if it's a question of replacing the original challenger,but who if any of us drives our restored cars on a daily basis like it's our only means.lets face it,to many drivers on the road that just see every car as just that,another car.if they hit your car or shove you over in traffic,you are just someone in an old car with nice paint.buy a new one,you still want to protect your car,but this one IS replaceable.maybe people just want to have the idea and spirit of the old one.could never replace the real thing, but look at the mustang and the sales that go with it.i think people want some of the old school look and feel.think of it as a cubic zerconia.it looks alot like the real thing,tou dont have to worry about it as much as the real one,but you can still enjoy it like it's real.just my :2cents:

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2005 - 11:20:05 PM »
IF they don't screw it up (Charger) and it looks like a streamlined retro '70 Challenger, I think it would be really cool to special order one to match my existing.  :ylsuper:

Hemi orange, Six Speed, rare options etc.. :bananasmi

Special order it with the options I want.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I wasn't old enough to buy a new 60's- 70's muscle car. I have had a '66, (2) 67's, and now a 1970. :working:

I've always had to buy what someone else bought new and drove the wheels off of, which is fine and I've loved my old cars.

But this time it's my turn...if they do it RIGHT :2cents: + :2cents:         :grinyes:

Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2005 - 08:09:37 AM »
Hey - just remember.. our cars were once new. And many didn't want to spend $$ on a NEW 70 cuda.. when you could buy a classic 57 chevy. In order for a car to become a classic it has to be once a new car. I actaully think many of these new hemi cars will become classics because of low production #'s. I think even more stringent emmisions are on the horizon.

Any low production BB by chrysler, ford or chevy will be a classic 20 years from now. All IMO

71fish
71fish - Nobody better than an E-BODY!!

Offline WJennings

• 73 Dodge Challenger 340
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2005 - 07:02:35 AM »
I would like one of each, the original is getting expensive and hard to find but these will be everywhere and will become used and plentiful and I'll be there to get one.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005 - 07:06:44 AM by WJennings »

Offline loco340cuda

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2005 - 08:36:13 AM »
The new challenger is definitey cool, and I would not mine owning one, but just like the new mustangs they will be all over the place and quickly lose their appeal.  I personally like the new mustang, I would not own one, but I still think Ferd did a good job with the styling.  But with that said, they still don't turn my head like a real 60's fastback mustang.  I would image the Challenger doing much the same thing.  At first a high cool factor, then over time, hey look another new Challenger.  That will never happen with the 70's Challengers.  They are so rare, and at least here in Phoenix your lucky if you see one on the street once every couple of months (unless of course you go to the local drive-in cruises).   :2cents:
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350

Offline wiging19

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2005 - 12:09:39 PM »
When I bought my challenger I stumbled into it and the price was right.  In 1994 I bought a running small block convertible challenger for $3,500 and talked the owner into driving it from Utah to Seattle Washington to sell it.  I've put a lot of money into the car but I never expected this car to ever be worth more than what I initially paid for it.    :woohoo:  At today's car prices and the costs associated to repair it if anyone whacks it I'm very cautious when I bring it out of the garage.   :working:  I'd like a new car so I could have the feeling of enjoyment I have with my original car but not have the fear of how hard it will be to get the car looking exactly the same as it was before the accident (finding the parts, right shop, etc.).  If I bought a new car like many people have mentioned I'd go with the biggest block and as many accessories I could get on the car.

That said I would probably drive it more than my current car but being a convertible in the pacific northwest I only drive it from May through September.  Then only when the weather on the weekend allows me to take it for a spin.  I suspect a new car would probably be the same but I would drive it on the weekends year round.  Then take both cars when we go to car shows out of state. 
  :bigsmile:

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2005 - 04:39:02 PM »
You spend ooodles of cash to redo one and it either gets wrecked or stolen. Buy a new one, have a warranty, park it anywhere and enjoy it.

Offline 71 shaker

• the day i got her,in 1987
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2005 - 05:21:42 PM »
You spend ooodles of cash to redo one and it either gets wrecked or stolen. Buy a new one, have a warranty, park it anywhere and enjoy it.

amen brother!

Offline R/T

• Johnson City TN
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2005 - 05:31:30 PM »
:thumbsup:  :ylsuper:
1973 Challenger (OO/=====\OO)  440 
Hemis and Harleys
2008 Dodge Ram Big Horn Edition  5.7 Hemi

Yellow_Fish

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2005 - 11:19:49 AM »
Hey - just remember.. our cars were once new. And many didn't want to spend $$ on a NEW 70 cuda.. when you could buy a classic 57 chevy. In order for a car to become a classic it has to be once a new car. I actaully think many of these new hemi cars will become classics because of low production #'s. I think even more stringent emmisions are on the horizon.

Any low production BB by chrysler, ford or chevy will be a classic 20 years from now. All IMO

71fish

Ya I am starting to feel it's 1969 all over again. There were a lot of nice cars on the drawingboard, some were being built. But, it all came to a screeching halt.

Gas prices have hit $3 here, in HI $4. I know prices are down now, but will they stay? Some damage has already been done to the SUV market. More "green" cars are on the way.

The state of OR is only a few days from adopting CA emissions standards. WA promises to be next. That will make 11 states with the tougher emissions laws by 2009. Will the HEMI make it?

But ya, I would buy one.

Russ
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005 - 10:21:03 AM by Yellow_Fish »

Offline 70Cuda

• 70 Cuda 383 70 Challenger 440+6 71 Challenger 383

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2005 - 06:15:46 AM »
IF I could free up the funds and IF the Challenger looks as cool as the spy photos, I know what I'd do.

Order one with every tricked out option available, vert, manual, R/T, you name it.  Then tell the dealer if he so much as drives it off the trailer, preps it or anything, deal is off.  Roll it off the trailer on to mine, leave all the paper on the floors, plastic on the seats, mats in the trunk, 0 miles on the speedo.  Roll it into the garage and sit on it.

I saw an article on a 70 something Magnum a guy did this with and it is the best preserved ( although not the best choice ) car I've ever seen. 

Again, a big IF or two, but someone should do it.  If rich enough, buy another to drive.

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2005 - 07:15:29 AM »
 Even though I really like the looks of the new Challenger concept, I'd have the most fun with a Hemi Challenger Clone. If I had a restored Hemi Challenger I'd be too scared to drive it around. But a clone I'd commute in it, take it to the track, and not feel guilty about tricking out the motor. Heck, I'd drive it every day rain or shine. I'd even let my son use it to pass his drivers test LOL
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Oldschool

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2005 - 06:53:14 PM »
 I would have to check out a new one in the flesh before I could say for sure   :drool:  ..............Oldschool

Offline 70Cuda

• 70 Cuda 383 70 Challenger 440+6 71 Challenger 383
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2006 - 05:56:00 PM »