Author Topic: Title Trouble in MN  (Read 3652 times)

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
Re: Title Trouble in MN
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2006 - 06:23:55 AM »
I can tell you what I had to do to get a title for my project here in FL.

The car was parked for many years in Georgia. GA is a no-title state for pre-1985 cars. So, I have no title and no registration for the car. I bought the car with only a bill of sale. Well, the state of Florida says no-way. I think that part of the problem was that the bill of sale wasn't notarized or anything. Nonetheless, it's a heck of a lot easier to title a car if you have a registration.

So, I went to International Title Service and "sold" them the car. They get a registration from a no-title state for the car, get official documentation explaining that that state is a no-title state, and they "sell" you the car with a notarized bill of sale. YOU take this paperwork to your DMV along with an affidavit (available online, at least in Florida) that is used to verify the VIN of the car. Most states will require that the VIN on an out-of-state car is verified by the DMV, a police officer, or a notary. That affidavit along with the paperwork from ITS should do the trick. FL issued a title on my car and no-one from the DMV had to see it and I didn't have to register the car, which means I didn't have to get insurance. MN shouldn't care where you bought the car.

Hopefully, this will give some folks out there some encouragement that it can be done!