Title Trouble in MN

Author Topic: Title Trouble in MN  (Read 3655 times)

Offline ISSUES

Title Trouble in MN
« on: December 09, 2005 - 01:49:07 PM »
So I drive to Maine from MN to pick up my AAR project.   Maine doesn't title cars after 15 years, and the car has been in pieces for the past 3 owners so there's not even a registration.   In Maine you can get it registered with a bill of sale, but it has to be insured first.    Minnesota says I need to have a title, or registration signed by the previous owner.  Otherwise my only option is to make it at least appear roadworthy (wheels, windows, lights, hood, doors) take pictures from all 4 sides, then apply for a title, and pay for licensing and insurance, then pay for a bond in case someone else comes to claim the car for the first 3 years of ownership!     Does anyone have any suggestions for help jumping thru these hoops?   The guy who sold me the car has been standup, and as helpful as he can be.    I'm tempted to find someone with pics of their AAR in primer but assembled that I could use.    My worry is that I spend a ton of $$ and 2 years to make it roadworthy.. THEN have someone claim it's their car. :swear:   Any advice or suggestoins would be appreciated!

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
Re: Title Trouble in MN
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005 - 02:46:28 PM »
....Any advice or suggestoins would be appreciated!

Move to Wisconsin so you can bypass all those weird Minnesota laws? :dunno: :feedback:

That really sucks though and I don't know what you could do.  Maybe a fellow MN member may have some ideas for you? :dunno:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline loco340cuda

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005 - 03:02:09 PM »
Does Maine care what type of insurance you have on it.  I know Hagerty Insurance (at least used to) insure collector cars that are not in drivable condition.  Maybe you should give them a call and see what they say.  Who knows maybe that is all the state of Maine needs to see to get your title.  Good Luck!
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005 - 03:28:19 PM »
Does Maine care what type of insurance you have on it.  I know Hagerty Insurance (at least used to) insure collector cars that are not in drivable condition.  Maybe you should give them a call and see what they say.  Who knows maybe that is all the state of Maine needs to see to get your title.  Good Luck!

I think his problem is he is trying to title it in Minnesota. I have NO idea here. This stinks, but unfortunately, all states handle classic cars differently. How far is the car from being able to take pictures of it being road worthy? I seriously doubt anyone would claim it as theirs. They would need some kind of hard proof. Title, bill of sale, and all that. I think you are safe in that respect as the car has been apart, like you said.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Cannibal94

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005 - 04:05:08 PM »
 :iagree:  And also take lots of pics during the restore for proof that you didn't just title "their" car!   :2cents:

Offline djr71

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005 - 04:20:18 PM »
I do insurance in Massachusetts and in this state every car has to have a title. Every so often we run into a situation like yours. But when cars are bought with just a bill of sale and no registration clients will either have the previous owner go to the state and pay the sales tax get a receipt that has the VIN and owner's name. They then bring that in with a bill of sale and title it.
Like just down the road here is RI, they do not require a title. SO people who buy a car w/o a title sell it to a friend in RI. They go to the DMV with just a bill of sale, tell them they just want to pay the tax. Once they get the receipt they write a bill of sale back to the Mass. resident. The Mass. person now comes in with the tax receipt,bill of sale,and a registry form and they can title it.
Also if you check Hemmings there are title companies that specialize in situations like this.
I hope this helps and I did not cofuse you.
Doug

Offline ISSUES

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005 - 05:14:34 PM »
Thanks guys,   I promise I could be no more confused than I am already  :screwy:

This is what it looks like right now.

I've been holding off on starting on it till I know it can be titled.  Seeing if I could get him to register it might be the best solution... possibly even cheaper than paying for the bond here for the next 3 years.

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005 - 09:53:32 AM »
Dont you love the government?A car can be taxed as many times it can be sold,something that has already been taxed shouldnt be taxed over and over,guess the car maufacturers have BIG lobbying power,otherwise people would just buy used cars and save the tax,still dishonest to me no matter how you slice it.Guess they forgot about the constitution"taxation without representation"Goes along with the loss of our "freedom of speach" especially if a person is religious,like myself but that could start a whole other OT thread,lol.I feel your pain
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005 - 03:39:09 PM »
...... sweet home ALABAMA........     read betwen the lines!
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline mrcuda

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2005 - 08:37:28 PM »
In N.Y. you would probably have to get a shop to put a bodyman's lien on the car. Pay the taxes and then send the paperwork along with proof of insurance to the DMV. Myself and others have had problems buying out of state cars that weren't notarized. Problem with getting the previous  owner to send for a title is you are basically giving him back the rights to the car, that doesn't sit good with me. Your at the mercy of the other person, and  possesion is not 9/10 of the law as people like to say. Just my  :2cents:.

Oldschool

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2005 - 08:43:07 PM »
I got a similar problem with the beast in Ga.  I don't really have to have a title in Ga because the car is so old, but I want one.  The problem here is the State computer system only recognizes vin #'s that are 17 digits long. That is the number since 1983 or so. My 1969 car only has 13 digits, so the computer doesn't recognize it.  :walkaway:  I'm working on it, and the state folks ( :swear: ) tell me it will get resolved. In the mean time---I'm still waiting.  :pullinghair:  Good luck with your situation.......................Oldschool

Offline mrcuda

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2005 - 08:53:02 PM »
So Oldschool, is or can your car be registered. If you sold it to someone in a state like mine wouldn't we have a problem? You know and believe you have all the rights to sell your car to whomever you please, but like ISSUES wouldn't the out of state or the in-state buyer have the same problems. It seems like they should revamp some of these laws, just in case I find that last 71 Hemicuda laying in a barn with no title. :bigsmile:   

Oldschool

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2005 - 08:56:59 PM »
DY3---I have been told that I only have to get my vin posted in the computer by a human with enough horsepower and willingness to take the time and do it.  The problem is, I can't ever get to that human.  :swear:   I got some other folks working on it with me.  :cheers:   When it gets manually entered, there will no longer be a problem and it should be sellable with clear title.  I'll keep you posted, if I forget, remind me..............Oldschool

Offline mrcuda

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2005 - 09:18:38 PM »
That's good for you Old School :cheers:. Wish they would come out with a universal standard which would make it easier for all the old car guys out there, especially with all the online cars that are out there.

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2005 - 09:30:37 PM »
I don't uderstand the problem.  If you live in Maine, and all they require is a bill of sale and proof of insurance, then why can't you title it?  Didn't the seller in MN give you a bill of sale?  Or is the problem that he can't give you a bill of sale without the title?  I'm confuussed :dunno:
{oo/===\oo}