Author Topic: 1970 mirrors  (Read 1189 times)

Offline 70RTdroptop

• 1970 Challenger R/T 440-SixPack
1970 mirrors
« on: December 10, 2005 - 07:32:02 PM »
Hi, all... Haven't posted in a while here. I've pulled the mirrors off my 70 RT for re-chroming. The driver side has the remote and doesn't appear to be a problem in total disassembly . The passenger side, though, that's a different story. The mirror glass assembly is pressed onto a base or pedestal at the bottom inside of the mirror body, and the pedestal is a part of the mirror body, not held on by screws or anything. Any hints on how to remove the mirror glass assembly without totally destroying anything else? I'm pretty much resigned to the actual replacement of the mirror glass itself, but I don't want to wreck anything else if I can help it.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440-6 convertible
1966 Ford Mustang convertible  - numbers matching (wife's car )

Alaskan_TA

Re: 1970 mirrors
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005 - 08:05:38 PM »
I did that a while back, I used two hardware store type paint stir sticks, inserted one at the top and one at the bottom and very gently pried the mirrored section out, stud and all. I was shocked at how easy mine came out, even the glass survived.

best of luck!

Barry

Offline 70RTdroptop

• 1970 Challenger R/T 440-SixPack
Re: 1970 mirrors
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005 - 05:42:36 PM »
Thanks for the advice , Alaskan TA! Unfortunately, my mirror was pressed in pretty good. Got it out of the housing, but broke the glass - oh, well! At least I can get my mirrors sent out for rechroming now.

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440-6 convertible
1966 Ford Mustang convertible  - numbers matching (wife's car )