'68 Barracuda - Could it be an original hemi car?

Author Topic: '68 Barracuda - Could it be an original hemi car?  (Read 2889 times)

Offline bulletpruf

'68 Barracuda - Could it be an original hemi car?
« on: December 11, 2005 - 05:56:37 AM »
All,

Just found this forum and have a question - I saw a '68 Barracuda yesterday - looks like a bracket racer.  It had an automatic and an 8 3/4 rearend, and the hemi hood scoop, but didn't pop the hood to see what engine it had.  Car looks a bit rough, but complete, and still an active racer.  Guy who owns the car was not home, and was just able to take a cursory look at it.  How can I tell if it's an original hemi car?  Also, was it the Darts or Barracudas that had the rear wheelwells cut out in a square-ish pattern?

Thanks!

Scott
'71 GTX, U Code 440, 4 sp, Track Pack, Air Grabber, Black on Black, Spoilers, 61k Original Miles

Oldschool

Re: '68 Barracuda - Could it be an original hemi car?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005 - 09:25:07 AM »
Check the vin #.  The designation for the SS Hemi cars is BO29.  That will tell the tale.  :ylsuper: ..................Oldschool

Offline bulletpruf

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005 - 10:24:44 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I'll try to check it out today...

Scott
'71 GTX, U Code 440, 4 sp, Track Pack, Air Grabber, Black on Black, Spoilers, 61k Original Miles

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005 - 10:31:31 AM »
It's most likely just a regular Barracuda with an engine swap.  But, it never hurts to check it out.  Try to get pics, if you can.

Offline bulletpruf

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005 - 10:38:25 AM »
 Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, but with something like this, it's always worth checking out...  Anything else to look for besides the VIN?

Thanks,

Scott

Oldschool

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005 - 10:49:27 AM »
Possible acid dipped fenders and bumpers.  Fiberglass is a possiblity, but a lot of non-factory cars have fiberglass parts.  Radio/heater delete.  Lexan side glass with pull-up straps. That ought t o kee[ you busy few a little while.  :popcorn: ....................Oldschool

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005 - 10:59:54 AM »
Car would have had a Dana rear as well.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline Ghost

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005 - 11:03:04 AM »
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, but with something like this, it's always worth checking out...  Anything else to look for besides the VIN?

Thanks,

Scott

The interior would be pretty much stripped.  Plus, it would have a Dana rear end.  The hood and fenders would be fiberglass.  If it has metel fenders, it's definatly not an SS.  The suspension would be pretty beefy, too, but, then, even if it's a 340, the owner would probably have beefed up the suspension, if he races it regularly.

Offline bulletpruf

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005 - 01:57:33 PM »
I thought only the 4 sp cars came with the Dana.  The info that I found said that the automatic cars came with the 8 3/4...

Scott

Oldschool

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005 - 03:39:11 PM »
In 36+ years, many things probably have been changed anyway. It all goes back to the vin #. BO29----that's what you need to know.....Oldschool

Offline bulletpruf

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005 - 01:51:27 PM »
FALSE ALARM!  Looked at it again today - couldn't see the VIN, but it's a '67, no fiberglass anywhere, no Lexan, and the hemi scoop is duct taped/riveted to a stock hood... 

Oh, well...

Scott

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005 - 03:10:25 PM »
FALSE ALARM!  Looked at it again today - couldn't see the VIN, but it's a '67, no fiberglass anywhere, no Lexan, and the hemi scoop is duct taped/riveted to a stock hood... 

Oh, well...

Scott

Scott,
   I didn't respond earlier, but I thought it would be doubtful someone would drag race an original Hemi car. Even in bad shape, if you dumped money into fixing it up, it is worth $$$. In the higher six figures or more I'd guess. I can't imagine many Hemi A-body cars were made.  :dunno:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Ghost

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005 - 03:32:12 PM »
Scott,
   I didn't respond earlier, but I thought it would be doubtful someone would drag race an original Hemi car. Even in bad shape, if you dumped money into fixing it up, it is worth $$$. In the higher six figures or more I'd guess. I can't imagine many Hemi A-body cars were made.  :dunno:

Mike

They made 70 Barracudas, and 80 Darts.

On Moparts, there was a post, about a guy who found one of the 68 Barracuda's dash's.  With some help from a friend of mine, he found the car it belonged to, which was still being raced.  So, at least one original SS/AA Barracuda is still doing what she was built for.