E-Body Reproduction Parts (What Works & Doesn't Work?)

Author Topic: E-Body Reproduction Parts (What Works & Doesn't Work?)  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Prowler Orange Challenger

E-Body Reproduction Parts (What Works & Doesn't Work?)
« on: December 11, 2005 - 07:10:49 PM »
Okay so I figure if I can get enough responses. This might be a good thread. What reproduction parts work as far fitting and replacement goes and what doesn't work?

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
Re: E-Body Reproduction Parts (What Works & Doesn't Work?)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005 - 08:55:38 PM »
  On at least some of the newly reproduced 70-74 Challenger woms the screw holes are slightly off from their original locations ::) Nice thread idea, btw :thumbsup:
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005 - 09:01:49 PM »

NOTHING.

Palco door panels or reproduction door panels in general are utter and total shlt. We had 4 pairs, wrong grain and both sets were the wrong fit.
One side was 2" off and couldn't be adjusted, the other had the wrong height and there was a 2-3" difference between the front and rear panel.
Also the holes are in all the wrong places, so I will be using my blue originals paint black until I find some excellent condition panels (set of 4) and use them. Original panels are the ONLY way to go.....repro are absolute crap.....................

:swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear:

Also, tail lights are bent and the wrong shape, 1/4 panel moldings are too long, badges have the wrong rivet spaces...
Repro should be avoided at all costs. Restore your original or look for NOS products.

:2cents:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005 - 09:13:32 PM »
Thanks you two. I figure I could help future E-Body owners with things. As for my tail lights I don't have any repo. I have a 71.

Offline FY1 RT SE

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005 - 12:40:24 AM »

NOTHING.

I wouldn't go that far...  I guess I will toot my own horn here, the coils I sell are the closest to the originals you can get.  They are made from the original Essex molds and are available with either '66 to late '67 markings or 68 - late '71 markings.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2005 - 12:43:08 AM by FY1 RT SE »

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005 - 02:07:53 AM »
I wouldn't go that far...  I guess I will toot my own horn here, the coils I sell are the closest to the originals you can get.  They are made from the original Essex molds and are available with either '66 to late '67 markings or 68 - late '71 markings.

I guess.....

All the parts I have purchased have had to be altered or thrown out.
That's how my restoration has gone anyhow.

Utter crap.

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005 - 09:39:44 AM »
I used Metro Parts Company for moldings on my 70 Cuda. The 4 piece tail moldings are a very nice reproduction and fit good. I also bought the 4 moldings for the top of the doors edge and quarters below the back side glass. The only problem I had was installing the door moldings as they come flat and you have to bend them a little to fit the contour of the upper part of the door. They also have moldings for challenger
models and they look to be a high quality and I'm going to buy the 71 Challenger front hood molding fo my 71 when it comes out. This is a 1 year only molding and NOS ones are very hard to find. They also have other items for Challenger and Barracuda models. They are located in Douglas, Ga. and their phone number is 912-383-0172 and web site www.metropartscompany.com
Jeff
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005 - 09:51:17 AM by 71340RT »

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

kudakidd

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005 - 05:37:23 PM »
Legendary interior pieces have been good for me. :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005 - 05:46:40 PM »
Thanks again everyone who has contributed to this thread thus far.

Offline reflections7

• God Bless
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005 - 06:47:38 PM »
Bumpers from year one were fine, front valance was good rear not as good. trunck lid fit well but needed some blocking, Hodd fit great but also needed some sanding and blocking on a few edges but not bad. three piece chrome around back and on hood fit great. exhaust tips were good. Door panels from Palco fit and looked very good. The grain was god too.  I do believe the first ones out werent to good but mine were fine.  I won first place at Mopar vs the world with these things and many others on my car. The rear quarter patch panels were bad, Now they have complete sets and I have some for my current project and they look real good. front inner fenders are very nice.         

Offline reflections7

• God Bless
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005 - 06:50:28 PM »
The frame rail patches I just installed also seem very nice.  One is the left other is rt I had already installed the other

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005 - 07:19:38 PM »
I know Reflections touched on this some, but I want to add my 2 cents worth on Challenger rear quarter panels.  I bought two skins for my '73 and having received them, they were in aweful shape. (stamping quality was horrible as was the supposedly crisp body line)  I ended up getting donor metal for my top sections that needed repairs, while we cut below the body line to preserve the proper body line.  I still fear that the panels aren't correct around the bumper section or the side marker light depressed section is messed up, so I hope things line up properly like they should when everything starts going back on.  Outer wheel housings are fair, but they don't even make them to match up with the original inner housings.  I was also told the body shop had problems getting the trunk extension to extrude to the proper areas on both the quarter panel and the outer wheel housing.
As for any other parts, I have yet to have to resort to any other reproduction pieces.

(Notice the tab position in this photo.  The inner one doesn't line up with the reproduction piece. :stomp:  you'd think they'd have them so they would line up at least.  they put a lot of money into developing the machine, so you'd think they'd make them correct.)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005 - 07:21:55 PM by Street_Challenged73 »
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline mopar-or-no-car

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005 - 07:47:20 PM »
This might not mean anything because it was so long ago but I go a convertible top including the window from year one and it was great! the shop had no problems installing it and it looked wonderful when it was all done but that wasabout 18 years ago and things could have changed by now!

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005 - 09:07:02 PM »
Just would like to comment about reflections door panels from palco observations. Some people think they are fine some don't.
I fall into the latter category, I can tell from his door panel pics that they aren't originals. C'mon palco, how hard could it be?
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005 - 09:19:23 PM »
C'mon palco, how hard could it be?

Exactly!! So close yet sooooooo far.  :banghead: