Mounting electric fuel pump

Author Topic: Mounting electric fuel pump  (Read 1890 times)

Offline BB72Chally

• Gotta start somewhere
Mounting electric fuel pump
« on: December 14, 2005 - 06:31:41 AM »
I am putting a Holley electric fuel pump in my '72 Challenger. Does anyone have any pics on where they located the pump and regulator?

Thanks
Jeff
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006 - 03:09:21 PM by Rev-It-Up »

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Mounting electric fuel pump
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005 - 10:05:13 AM »
The pump should probably be mounted back by the gas tank someplace since they are "pushers" rather than "suckers", like the mechanical pumps. The regulator would go under the hood, or someplace you can access it easy to adjust it.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Cannibal94

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005 - 10:45:59 AM »
 :iagree:

Exactly!  :grinyes:

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005 - 11:32:02 AM »
My regulator is in lower left hand of pic.  My fuel pump is by the tank on the right hand side if looking from the rear.  I can take a pic tonight if you would like.
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline BB72Chally

• Gotta start somewhere
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005 - 03:48:27 PM »
Thanks..Pink Panther (nice engine bay!!)...I hadnt thought of putting the regulator that far forward in the engine bay, but it sure looks like that location works! :woo:

On the pump, if you could get a pic I would appreciate it. That has been my concern, keeping it close to the tank and yet clear of the exhaust pipes and differential.

How do you have yours wired? Did you use the Holley relay or just wire to a 12V switched?

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005 - 07:28:10 AM »
Here you go BB72,
This is on my 73 chally the pump is on the left side when looking from the rear.  It comes on when the key is turned on.  I would say it is on the relay ( already installed when I got it)

hope this helps
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005 - 09:24:23 AM by 4cruzin »

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005 - 07:29:49 AM »
couple more
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005 - 09:24:56 AM by 4cruzin »

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005 - 07:31:34 AM »
Rev or Rede can you re-size these smaller?

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005 - 11:03:02 AM »
I made a pump and filter assembly all mounted to a plate and tucked it up in front of the gas tank off of the frame rail going across the floor. The rail that the shocks mount onto. You won't be able to see anything cause its tucked away but its alot better protected than having it hanging out in the open like off the rear bumper.
If you need pics I'll try to get some soon.

Offline BB72Chally

• Gotta start somewhere
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005 - 02:33:04 PM »
Pink Panther and Grancoupe,

Thanksm you guys were a big help. I like Pink Panther's location but I'm not going to be running T/A side exhaust, so I believe I'll try the frame rail that Grancoupe talked about. Will post pics when done.

Thanks again! :cheers:

kudakidd

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005 - 10:54:24 AM »
Why? With the hi- capacity mechanical pumps on the market, unless you got a serious street/strip car, you don't need an electric pump

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005 - 06:43:17 PM »
I still have a preference for electric pumps. If mechanical pumps were worth it they would have probably found a way to keep them in the modern cars. I like the way you can prime the motor up with fuel after sitting for a while rather than cranking it until it gets fuel up to the carb or dumping some fuel down the carb to get it primed. Not knocking mechanical pumps but I rather electric and just wanted to post why I prefer them.

kudakidd

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2005 - 10:47:31 AM »
I still have a preference for electric pumps. If mechanical pumps were worth it they would have probably found a way to keep them in the modern cars.

Gran, the only reason modern cars have electric fuel pumps is because they NEED them for high pressure fuel injectors. You better make sure you hook up a mercury switch that'll shut off the pump if you ever go rubber side up!

Offline wart1de

• Vivah
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2005 - 04:23:16 PM »
With the mechanical pump being heated up by the engine I figured you might lose a few ponies with the fuel getting heated as it passes through?? Increased risk of detonation?

:dunno:
1973 Plymouth 'Cuda
1980 Ford Falcon XD ESP
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

kudakidd

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005 - 08:23:58 PM »
With the mechanical pump being heated up by the engine I figured you might lose a few ponies with the fuel getting heated as it passes through?? Increased risk of detonation?

Pumping 120 gallons per hour, I don't think the fuel stays in the housing long enough to heat up. A phenolic spacer under the carb will help out though. :thumbsup: