The official Name Your Hero's Thread.

Author Topic: The official Name Your Hero's Thread.  (Read 3358 times)

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
Re: The official Name Your Hero's Thread.
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2005 - 06:29:50 PM »
Back when a hero wasn't mangled into being a "role model" Ron Swoboda was and still is mine. Still gets me every time i catch a clip of him making that full-out diving catch in G2 of the 69 World Series
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005 - 06:44:34 PM by RusTy/SE »
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline Old Moparz

• Larks' Tongues In Aspic
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2005 - 10:45:03 AM »
I don't actually have a hero, but there are people who have had a big influence on me in certain ways. I had a drafting teacher in high school for 4 years that really cared about students. We learned more than just mechanical drawing in his class. The same with a psychology professor I had in college who was great. The reason for no actual hero though, is more or less because of something that was said at a concert once.

I went to see King Crimson with some friends back in 1980, & the brother of one of my friends asked the guitarist for his autograph. (Robert Fripp) He was politely told no, because he didn't believe in idolizing someone, & thought that autographs were just that. I gave his comment some thought & decided he was probably right. That's not to say it's totally wrong, but that I agreed with the idolizing part, especially if you don't know them.

Anyway, to pick someone that I admire other than my parents? This guy, & for more than just laughter. He doesn't conform.

George Carlin
Newburgh, New York - 12550

Walking is good for you. It's documented that for every minute you exercise, you add a minute to your life. This enables you to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $5000 per month.

Offline N96cuda

• Kirks Cars
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2005 - 12:37:56 AM »
I love the Doors/Jim Morrison (but not really a hero of mine). So I guess that I would have to say Stephen Juliano..?!.. :thumbsup:

70 Cuda 440-6 Shaker, Auto, Vitamin C, stripe delete, black int. & vinyl top, luggage rack, Magnums, build sheet
71 Cuda conv. 383 4-speed, Rallye red, black top, int. and billboards, 2 complete build sheets
09 B5 blue Challenger SRT-8
www.93cobra.itgo.com

Offline HEMI HUNTER

• SERIOUS H.P.IS REALLY COOL
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2005 - 06:41:04 PM »
I don't actually have a hero, but there are people who have had a big influence on me in certain ways. I had a drafting teacher in high school for 4 years that really cared about students. We learned more than just mechanical drawing in his class. The same with a psychology professor I had in college who was great. The reason for no actual hero though, is more or less because of something that was said at a concert once.

I went to see King Crimson with some friends back in 1980, & the brother of one of my friends asked the guitarist for his autograph. (Robert Fripp) He was politely told no, because he didn't believe in idolizing someone, & thought that autographs were just that. I gave his comment some thought & decided he was probably right. That's not to say it's totally wrong, but that I agreed with the idolizing part, especially if you don't know them.

Anyway, to pick someone that I admire other than my parents? This guy, & for more than just laughter. He doesn't conform.

George Carlin

v   
  In the court of the crimson king.........Fripptronics........   did we party in a past life? :smokin:     now there's a band few will know. what other classic concerts you been to?
Why are the only other cars on the road all in my rear view mirror?  Oh yeah cause I got a 440/6 pack

Thank you GOD for the "Go Fast Division"

Offline VPOINTCUDA

• Wish she were done so I could take her out Ridin!
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2005 - 10:59:54 PM »
I don't really have any " heros!" That being said, I do admire Big Daddy Don Garlitts, Kenny Bernstien and the BudKing!, Don "the snake" Prudome , and a big hats off to Shirley Moldouney! As a kid I watched these people drag race at sites like Pomona and such. It used to be the only thing that me and my dad would sit and watch together.( I know I probably spelled a couple wrong , but its probably just the "Old Timers Disease! )  :roflsmiley:  They were probably the biggest influence on my " Muscle Car addiction !"
That and the Apollo space launches. 
" the question isn't  when is he going to stop, but whose gonna stop him!"

Offline greengochallenger

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2005 - 02:18:26 PM »
 Hero is a word that gets thrown around too much. remember "Real American Hero" adds? The had to change it to "Real Men Of Genius" after 9/11. The police,fire/rescue, and the military that lay their lives on the line everyday, and do all the dirty work that most people take for granted, those are "Hero's" in my book.
That being said, as for someone that I watched and admired when I was growing up, is Joe Montana!
As far as a car guy, il never forget the 80 or 81 Gatornationals when Bob Glidden was in a Plymouth Arrow....

Offline Old Moparz

• Larks' Tongues In Aspic
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2005 - 09:59:25 AM »

In the court of the crimson king.........Fripptronics........   did we party in a past life?      now there's a band few will know. what other classic concerts you been to?

Hey Hemi Hunter,

There's always a chance, did you ever see Crimson in NYC, Kingston or NJ? I forget how many times I did, but at least a dozen times from 1980 up until very recently in Kingston at UPAC. I'm in Newburgh, NY, but had lived in NJ & NYC before.

Maybe it's not a thread hi-jack if I say these are some progressive bands & musicians I've admired & have seen live. (Some many more than once too.)  :grinno:

King Crimson
Yes   (Many versions of them)
EL&P  (With Carl Palmer & Cozy Powell)
Allen Holdsworth
Biff Bruford & Patrick Moraz
Jeff Beck
U.K.
Pink Floyd   (With & without Roger Waters)
Tony Levin & Bill Bruford   (Levin lives in Woodstock & plays locally.)
Genesis
Peter Gabriel
Steve Hackett
Jethro Tull
Gentle Giant
Tangerine Dream
David Torn
Renaissance

There's literally hundreds of other shows I've seen, & all ranging from Stevie Ray Vaughan, Nine Inch Nails, B.B. King, Ray Charles, Miles Davis, John Lee Hooker, The Kinks, Steppenwolf, & more than I can recall right now.

We may need to get together for a beer or something, Bob  :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005 - 10:03:10 AM by Old Moparz »
Newburgh, New York - 12550

Walking is good for you. It's documented that for every minute you exercise, you add a minute to your life. This enables you to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $5000 per month.

Offline mikey1

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2005 - 11:27:22 AM »
hey Hemi Hunter, Old Mopars,
I really don't have a hero I quess, but found your list of musicians/concerts interesting.
I just came across this thread and found the music you guys like/seen are similar to mine,
Here are a list of groups I saw live and still enjoy much of their music. I would have loved to have seen The Doors, but whent to shows mostly in the Detroit area, and don't think ther were any shows there. Thank you very much for the JM pics with the Charger! :ylsuper:
I like rock/blues music mostly,play keyboards, and do not like alot of the newer music.
My wife thinks Im stuck in the seventies as far as music goes.
 I just can't stand the rap sounding stuff. :stomp:

Ted Nugent/Amboy Dukes (played at my high school in grade 11)
Led Zep
Deep Purple
Ritchie Blackmore
Humble Pie
Emerson Lake & Palmer :wow:
Yes
Pink Floyd :wow:
Black Sabbath/Ozzy
Fog Hat
Lynnard Skynnard(still some of my favorite tunes)
Alice Cooper
Rick Derringer
Bob Seigar
AC/DC
Rush
Who
Aerosmith :clapping:
Nazareth
Peter Frampton
Blackfoot
Santana
ZZ Top  :clapping:
 :cheers:
Mikey
Schist happens to Gneiss people

Offline Sukhoi

• Mr. 3-d
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2005 - 11:42:31 PM »
Few may recognize this face, but if your foggy, think "X-prize"

This man is truly one of the best engineers the aerospace industry has had in years

Offline R/T

• Johnson City TN
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2005 - 08:47:02 AM »
my heros are the men and women of the Armed Forces. Thank you for all you do
« Last Edit: December 25, 2005 - 04:03:15 PM by 71 r/t »
1973 Challenger (OO/=====\OO)  440 
Hemis and Harleys
2008 Dodge Ram Big Horn Edition  5.7 Hemi

Offline WJennings

• 73 Dodge Challenger 340
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2005 - 01:30:06 AM »
John Wayne

« Last Edit: December 26, 2005 - 01:32:02 AM by WJennings »