How to tuck later model front bumpers for a 70-71 look - FAQ with Pics

Author Topic: How to tuck later model front bumpers for a 70-71 look - FAQ with Pics  (Read 6722 times)

KTO

Hey,

Not sure if anyone has posted anything like this in the past..

I wanted to tuck the bumpers on the 73 to look like the 70-71 models. My filler panel was in rough shape and I didn't care for how far the front bumper stuck out on the 73...

Here is what we did...piece of cake... you wont need any other parts...just a 5/8" drill bit..

OK, here's some instructions and pictures...

1) a picture showing the rear most hole on the brackets.. (held together with a vice grip)

Re-drill this mounting hole. you will see a square hole about an inch forward of the original hole..

drill this hole to 5/8" as shown below

This will be you new rear most mounting hole.

Now remove the vice grip and look to the inner straight bracket... you will see another square hole as shown below

drill this to 5/8" inch like shown below

You can now remove the plastic filler panel between the bumper and grill and mount the front most and rear most mounting points to the frame. Just slide the brackets back so the newly drilled holes fit the mounting points on the frame.  After the front and rear bolts are in, you can drill the middle point on the frame and attach with a bolt and nut.

Here is a before and after shot of the bumper bracket location...

before

after

here is a before and after shot from above

before

after

Now remove the bumperettes and fill the bumperette mounting holes with a set of bumper bolts and you are done...

Here is a picture of a later front bumper

And here are some pictures of the finished product...

Notice, the filler panel is now removed and the bumper fits nearly flush against the grill.

There were no clearance issues with this procedure... I hope this helps anyone who was thinking of trying this!!!!

You could also slot the newly drilled holes horizontally if you want to get a little front to back adjustment on the bumper alignment. I didn't think it was nessecary though. There is about a 1/8" gap between the bumper and grill now. It looks very clean.

Just be sure now....if you are going to run in to anything head on... be sure you're going under 5 mph  :roflsmiley:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005 - 11:13:36 AM by KTO »

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: How to tuck later model front bumpers for a 70-71 look - FAQ with Pics
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005 - 10:13:27 PM »
Thats great information!!  Looks like a clean job!!   Sweet!!   :bigsmile:

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005 - 11:01:00 AM »
That looks really nice, KTO!  Who needs the earlier bumpers when you can just fabricate what you need with your old ones. :bigthumb:  Like others stated, I too thought the front bumper bolt hole location wouldn't work, but those pictures prove otherwise.  Thanks for sharing that with the rest of us. :thumbsup:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Cannibal94

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005 - 02:15:55 PM »
Very nice explaination!!  The pics are perfect too!  Maybe you should write a How-To book on cudas!  Great job!!   :clapping:

Offline F N Cuda

• Hell Yes I Streetrace!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007 - 09:31:49 PM »
Here's mine, couldn't get it quite as close though even using just the inside half of the bracket on each side. Gonna go grind some more off the new 5/8" hole and make it more of a long oval and see what happens.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007 - 09:57:58 PM by F N Cuda »
Got Fatties?

Offline patrick

I know, I know, silly question but, Will this work on a 73 Challenger as well. I know they are basically the same but, are they exactly the same? Thank's Pat
Columbia Gorge 340 Rallye Dude

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
I would say not the same as they take different brackets.   :eek4:

Offline Bearcuda

That's sweet! I'm on it when I get home. I didn't know you could do that and I hate the big factory gap. Thanks for sharing.
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline cudafishin

How 'bout tucking a rear bumper on the 73-74 Cudas?  Is there a way to get rid of the filler strip, besides buying a set of older model bumper brackets?

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
I tried this method for the front bumper. It does not work. :dupe: You will need to ditch the outer brackets and drill new holes. The rear will need 70-2 brackets. These still leave large gaps. I made custom rear bumper brackets that are thinner/narrower and packed them out until I got it nice. I also just drilled holes in the 73 bumper for the guards.  I'll post pics of the rear when I get my camera back :walkaway:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007 - 06:27:16 AM by IMNCARN82 »
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Bearcuda

Did this mod a couple of weeks ago finally. Looks a lot better now I think. It wasn't as straight forward as it should have been as I'm pretty sure this car took a hit at some point and the bumper brackets weren't straight. I had to elongate all the holes several times to get it close.
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline rusty70cuda

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009 - 01:19:25 PM »
just wondering if I can do this to my 74 ralley challenger? I have been looking at those little square holes also. I think I will give it a try! Stephen

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009 - 01:58:51 PM »
The process is the same for a Chalenger, but hte brackets are different.

Offline extremema

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018 - 03:56:04 PM »
Wish I could see the pics of the original post! I really am trying to get this done on my CUDA and looking for good ideas and advice.