Door sagging on my 71 Challenger convertible

Author Topic: Door sagging on my 71 Challenger convertible  (Read 5219 times)

Offline Blackcuda

Door sagging on my 71 Challenger convertible
« on: December 19, 2005 - 02:00:23 PM »
My doors on my 71 Challenger convertible are sagging, should I purchase new hindges or try to re-adjust the doors. If I need new one's, who should I get them from.
Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006 - 01:41:50 PM by Rev-It-Up »

Offline Cannibal94

Re: Door sagging on my 71 Challenger convertible
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005 - 02:11:48 PM »
I have the same problem.  I am going to see if they can be adjusted.  One side I think can be but the other is sagging a little too far.  I would see if you can just rebuild them by putting in a new pin.  I will be doing this in the next week or so.  I would try to stay away from buying them rebuilt because then you will have to repaint them (which may not be that big of deal to some), and you run into the chance of them not fitting just right.  I will keep you updated on my progress.  I have found where you can buy the upper hinge pins through mopar but have not found the lowers just yet.  Let me know if you figure this out before me!   :grinyes:

Offline Blackcuda

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005 - 02:19:05 PM »
I going to have friend of mine look at the car, and see what he recommends. You can see by the large pic of my car just how much the door sags when closed.

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005 - 02:44:01 PM »
Blackcuda, I'd definitely see if they can't be adjusted first.  If that doesn't work, then I'd buy some rebuild kits for them.  All the kit consists of is a pin and two bushings per hinge, so it's relatively easy to do and it should definitely fix your problem.  Now if any of the other components are worn out on the hinges, then you may want to look for a completely rebuilt unit but you shouldn't need to unless they're really bad.
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Cannibal94

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005 - 02:44:49 PM »
Do you know a good place to buy the rebuild kit?

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005 - 02:50:18 PM »
Since it is sagging when shut, couldn't you just adjust the striker?
You still would want to adjust the hinges so it hits smoothly.

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005 - 02:56:20 PM »
You should be able to find the rebuild kit for $20 (I believe both sides..they're $10.00 a kit and you'll need 2) at any CarQuest or Northern Supply Store. (I don't know if that's just a Michigan thing.)
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005 - 03:21:45 PM »
I have to check out this problem too.  Although good advice, I wouldn't just adjust the striker.  That may put wear on the door latch mechanism itself.  Plus the striker more than likely isn't the culprit, rather the hinges themselves.

Open the door a little then grab the bottom rear of the door and try to see if there is any up and down play.  If none or a little, I would try to adjust the hinges first (as everyone else has so mentioned :thumbsup:).  Try to take into account that the car itself may move.

If there is a lot of up and down play and its "feelable" I would do the hinge rebuild kit.  The Paddock has them but I don't have any feedback as to whether they're any good or not.

Another "mickey mouse" thing I was thinking of as the hinge bolts can be a little tricky to get to, is with the door open and supported with a jack (use a large soft towel under the door where the jack pad hits it so you don't scrape the paint),  loosen the 4 bolts on the door side of the hinges,  then remove the bolts on the  door side of the lower hinge.  Place spacers (washers?) between the door and the hinge then replace the bolts and snug all of them and SLOWLY close the door to check door position.  Readjust in the same manner. 

What ever method you go by, make sure that the front of the door doesn't hit the front fenders when you close the door!!!!!

Use the body side molding as a guide as far as the level to adjust to.  The molding is really handy in that repect.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Cannibal94

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005 - 04:10:37 PM »
The part # for the hinge kit is  2110-402-63S .   I found a kit available at  www.123Classics.com for $24.95 + $13.27 s&h.  Thought that was a little high.  What do you guys think?  I really need to get this done and think that this is my only option to get it them quick.  Do you know other places that may have this?

Offline Cannibal94

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005 - 08:12:01 PM »
I found a pic of my drivers door.   

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Blackcuda

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005 - 07:09:38 AM »
If I order the kit it consists of a bushing and pin for each door? Has anyone performed this repair, or should I have a body shop do it?

Offline Cannibal94

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2005 - 07:24:56 AM »
The "Delux" kit includes the "S" shaped door springs.  What are those?  Any pics of these?

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2005 - 09:04:20 AM »
This was a bad picture to begin with, but I highlighed the s-spring, or at least where it should be.  This is the lower door hinge.

KTO

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005 - 09:23:42 AM »
I would get new pins and bushings 1st.

You shouldn't need new mounts if your mounts and sheet metal are solid. You should be able to adjust the brackets to get the alignment close. You could also shim the lower bracket to level everything out.

You could also try the redneck body shop trick if you're gutsy.

Open your door, grab your jack, and put a block of wood between the jack and the door bottom, just inside the skin lip... keep jacking up on the door until it fits.

I had the same problem with the drivers door on my Coronet. I'm not recommending it  :grinyes: but it worked great for me.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005 - 09:26:42 AM by KTO »