Is this guy crazy or is he right.

Author Topic: Is this guy crazy or is he right.  (Read 7909 times)

Offline speedfreak440

Re: Is this guy crazy or is he right.
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2005 - 08:26:07 AM »
70's and 71's are more valuable? to you yes, because you already have one or more E-bodies. But to someone who does not already own one of these cars they will take pretty much anything in descent condition from 70-74 and pay good money for it just to get an E-body. Demand drives price and there is a good and bad side of that for mopar lovers, it just depends on what side of the fence you are on. An object is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, personally I would rather have a 72-74 challenger than a 70-71.

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005 - 08:58:12 AM »
If completely documented and #'s matching, rg sheetmetal, 4-spd in show condition.. 28-35. I agree. However, if it's not any of the above.. then 16-24k.  All IMO

71fish
71fish - Nobody better than an E-BODY!!

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2005 - 09:11:24 AM »
I don't know what this guys car is like or what it's worth, but I've been offered 30k for my '73 three times in the last year, I've been offered 45k for my '71 cuda clone and I've been offered 75k for my '70 challenger convertible hemi clone. I don't think you guys realize what it costs to rotisserie these cars and do them right. Most of the name shops get 28k + for a nice resto. The year model is insignificant. Here at my shop we charge 8k + for our paint jobs. The days of getting a nice cuda of any year model for less than 10k are pretty much over.  I just sold a '72 barracuda shell with title for 5k to a guy that has a rusted out '73 that is complete. In my opinion, he just scored a home run. He didn't think he would ever be able to restore his car and now he's going to have a real nice ride.
As for the difference in the 70-71's and the 72-74's, the 70-71's will always be worth more. They were considered the real muscle cars since they could be bought with 440's, 440-6's and hemi's. Additionally, they could be bought with road lamps, shaker hoods, elasto bumpers, rear louvers, gills in 71 and many other options that were no longer available starting in '72. I own a '70, a '71, a '72 and a '73, so I'm not biased, so you 72-74 owners don't get upset with me.
Wake up. If you want any musclecar, you better get your dollars together now. It's not going to get any better.
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2005 - 09:26:41 AM »
Agreed 70-71 is worth more(today)but with the scarcity of these cars the 72-74 prices are rising and sometimes getting as much as a 70-71.I like them both equally but as Ma mopar had to step up to new smog regulations She made the 72-74 with maybe less HP Yes,but had many more safety and nice options than previous.My 68 charger r/t 440 track pack 4 speed car i sold had drum brakes,ever try to stop?lol.In fact my 70 GC 383hp has drum brakes also but my 73 is loaded with everything that could be ordered.Unless you were around when these muscle cars were built or know the history the term "muscle car"the year doesnt apply.A LOT of people these days that are searching out these cars dont care what year as long as they get one.Us loving mopars we get spoiled by all the big blocks mopar made when many many many more mustangs and cameros all had small blocks and had far fewer BB than mopar,they are still considered muscle cars.My point?you dont need a big block to be considered a muscle car and with a little compression raise its all the muscle car i'll ever need.Now if you were to say a 1975 plus year car was a muscle car i would argue that point.My 4 cents worth,lol :bigsmile:
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline N96cuda

• Kirks Cars
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2005 - 10:11:37 AM »

Wake up. If you want any musclecar, you better get your dollars together now. It's not going to get any better.

True. Not for a long time anyway. My Dad bought an original 1924 Ford Model T back in the early 70's. 20 years ago it was worth 20-25,000. Today it would be lucky to bring $7500 and it still runs and is in the same condition. All of the guys interested in them have died therefore not much demand. The same thing will happen to muscle cars. Eventually...

So far as current prices go, it simply boggles the mind they are changing so fast and if you are not directly involved it is hard to even comprehend. I told my wife several years ago that I would sell my 71 convertible when it would bring 40,000. Now I have turned down way over twice that amount and have no intentions of ever selling. I will probably keep it 'til it is worth nothing.  :dunno:

70 Cuda 440-6 Shaker, Auto, Vitamin C, stripe delete, black int. & vinyl top, luggage rack, Magnums, build sheet
71 Cuda conv. 383 4-speed, Rallye red, black top, int. and billboards, 2 complete build sheets
09 B5 blue Challenger SRT-8
www.93cobra.itgo.com

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2005 - 10:25:49 AM »
I dont think prices will ever go down,they may flatten out but the ford t bucket and model a's arent in the same catagory as our cars,there never was any hype with those like our cars now,they were just cool antiques.The sixty's and early 70's era will always be that special time in history.They only way i see them going down is when we run out of gas one day.
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline bohmer2

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2005 - 10:42:49 AM »
I realize that the cost of doing a rotisserie on a 70-71 is the same as a 72-74 but I don't ever see the value of a finished later cars being equal to the early cars, as prices go up on the late cars I think the prices will go up on the early cars, maybe I am wrong.  I don't own an early car currently in fact, I own probably the lowest dollar e-body anyone could own (1972 challenger slant six three speed car), but I have been watching prices and believe that early cars with big blocks will be more than valuable than even a later big block car.

kudakidd

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2005 - 10:50:46 AM »
Twenty years ago, my brother practically pushed an old Fiat onto a used car lot. The salesman says to my brother, "I'll give you $100. for the car, I can re-sell it." My brother astonished asked, "who would buy this heap?". The used car salesman replied."There's an ass for every seat." Nuff said.

Offline Prowler Orange Challenger

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2005 - 11:59:29 AM »
I'll be honest I hope the market stays where its at maybe decline a little because the little guy is getting pushed out farther as these prices go up. And the problem with that is I absolutely love muscle cars and lets be honest most cars today while they're somewhat safer, somewhat more fuel efficent, they are boring except for a select few such as the Vette, Ford Lightning, Camaro & Firebirds , Dakota R/Ts, and the newer Mustangs. Okay I'll count the Magnum and 300C but, lets be honest, on the DCX side of the house you can't do crap to those cars and trucks hardly. The PCM is stubborn and most companies don't ever figure out the code to the PCM because DCX is like sorry we can't give you the code to the computer but yet GM & Ford have tons of aftermarket support on most vehicles.  But, anyways I guess what I'm saying is I hope it stays where it is because I don't care much for newer cars.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2005 - 02:32:10 PM »
The problem, as I see it, happened a few years back when the stock market went into the pooper. People with too much money on their hands, got out of the stock scene, and started buying up muscle cars as an investment. Not a bad idea, but it hurts those of us in it because we truly love the cars and not what they will be worth 5 years from now.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Prowler Orange Challenger

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2005 - 05:58:01 PM »
 :iagree:

Offline gotacuda23

• 73 mist green 440 cuda
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2005 - 08:39:51 PM »
$35,000 WHAT IS HE NUTS? its a 73( no offence to 73 owners( but those years even if it were a hemi clone are worth $10,000 at most) and even there im being generous-MATT

if your so sure that they arn't worth that, you find me a 73 cuda in show quality,  for 10000 or under

and post the link on here, so i can go buy it

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2005 - 09:30:33 PM »
I'm going to repeat myself here. If you really want a cuda or a challenger, please don't wait. I know they're expensive, but if you can find a way...buy one now. As the number of young people become old enough to get interested in musclecars, naturally the stock is going to dry up. They're not making any more of them.
I never realized that back when I was selling my numbers matching convertibles and big block cars, that I might not get a chance to replace them inexpensively. Because of that, I now buy cars and hold on to them. My intention is not to hoard them as some think, but to protect them from being abused, neglected and ultimately destroyed. A friend of mine bought a 73 cuda about three years ago for $4500 and gave it to his 16 year old son to drive every day to school and work. The inevitable happened, He was rear ended and the car was destroyed. I personally think that if you buy a musclecar and try to use it on a daily basis then you shouldn't own that car. Go buy a 5.0 mustang for everyday driving. You are almost certainly going to contribute to the attrition of these cars. Why do you think that you don't see many old cars driving around on the streets today when 100's of thousands of them were built? It's called attrition. Accidents, fires, rust , poor maintenance, they all are reasons for the slow and certain elimination of old cars. I love these mopars enough to want to take care of them. I get one out and drive it once in a while when traffic is light or on the weekends to attend car shows and cruise nights. By showing them, I share them with everyone. Some day, others will own my cars and maybe they will take care of them the way that I do. Kept inside, maintained, cleaned and shown regularly so that others can enjoy seeing them. Just remember, we don't really own them we're just temporary caretakers. So, what I'm saying is go buy one and take care of it.
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline gomangoRT/SE

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2005 - 11:23:05 PM »
The original post was "is this guy crazy or what"  he is asking $35,000 for a show quality 73 Cuda.      I say there are very very very few 73 Cudas worth that kind of money.   Car would have to have a special pedigree belonging to Elvis or something like that.   Or have a crate Hemi with super rare options.    Now let me first say I have read a 1000 ads whre a guy says his car is "show" quality.    One guys version of "show quality" is oftentimes fresh paint and new interior.  period!!    My version of show quality is that plus a rotisserie where the bottom is stripped and repainted or detailed to the max, all lines both brake and fuel are new or stainless or super nice.  Fresh engine,  very nice paint vs.  average job with orange peel.    Attn paid to detail throughout the car including interior, gauges, engine compartment etc.      Why would a person pay $35,000 and take a chance on the car increasing in value........(and it is taking a chance) or buy a restored or original car that is a 70 or 71 model that is "already" a proven commodity.     It has been pointed out that it shouldnt matter if it is a 73 cause it costs just a much to restore as a 70 or 71.......Bull!!    It cost just as much to restore a 78 Ford LTD also but you wouldnt restore that car cause the end result doesnt justify the expense.     Muscle cars are like the stock market, you take a chance, gamble and hope you have purchased a bargain.......an investment.     You dont jump in at the top top top end of the market and hope it catches up.       Leave any $35,000 (73) Cuda alone and let the next guy buy it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005 - 11:25:37 PM by gomangoRT/SE »

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2005 - 11:46:47 PM »
The used car salesman replied."There's an ass for every seat." Nuff said.
:iagree: :bigsmile:
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3