Lucys First Outing

Author Topic: Lucys First Outing  (Read 4112 times)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Lucys First Outing
« on: December 21, 2005 - 07:17:28 PM »
Rev suggested I post this (from QAQ)

First trip: Woodsville
Time of journey:  4-1/2 hours to 5 hours (there and back)

This was Lucy's first real outing, highway speeds, small towns, traffic on open roads etc.....

The resto guys took Lucy while I followed and viewed from behind (looks bloody awesome on the road) :grinyes: they stopped a couple of times to check over the car for leaks, any noises they couldn't hear in the car and basically to thoroughly check the car out for any signs of strain, or potential trouble etc She cam up great! The resto guy Dave said she drives really really well and he was quite surprised at how well it handle saying it drove like a modern sports car, very responsive, not effected by wind or big trucks going past at speed etc. They kept keeping an eye on all gauges every minute or so and told me to do the same on my trip.

Then I had a turn at driving while Dave drove the Terrano behind. I drove from Mangatanoka(?) right outside the Tui factory until Featherson which is about an hour+ drive. Mostly all 100kph stuff and going through cities etc, I was happy and also very relieved to get some time behind the wheel.
Nervous at first but then that turn into excitement then when I got home more shock. lol Lots of looks and thumbs up, people coming over when we had the hood up having a good look and giving praise, some guy  said, "Shlt, what a fcuken awesome engine bay!" lol

One guy following had one had on the wheel and one hand trying to take pxts or video of the car. lol That was quite hard-case.  :lol2:

The view from the car is great can see very easily behind for passing or to see what traffic is coming up which was quite a surprise.
The brakes are better than I thought, still not perfect for daily driving but still very good. It will take some getting use to.
Throttle response is fantastic, just need to touch it and she moves which is how I look it.

The brakes have too much performance for my basically stock 440, they bite at a certain point but played properly do not, just takes getting use to. I will be restoring the original booster next year when I take her in for her final polish and touch up at the paint shop.
Which is kind of cheeky as they will fix and repair any stone chips I get when I take her away for her 2000km or 1300 mile trip.

They have to address a few things. One being the fan belt, it twisted when they floored it and came off at one stage.
They found the reason, it wasn't perfectly aligned with the top & bottom pulley thing (lol) it has to be directly above and this was about2-5mm out, bugger all but enough to make the fan belt twist over time and eventually come off under load.

Another thing was kick-down linkage. That needs adjusting. Adam my mechanic fixed it down a side street when we pulled over but when they tested (to the floor) that's when the fan belt came off so they couldn't test it any more and we had to eventually just cruise home.
They are testing that today once the fan belt is fixed putting a spacer in to align it perfectly.

Another thing was the tyres/wheels weren't balanced properly from when I got them from Tony's tyre service.
Nothing major so they'll fix that today. The A/C guy is coming to charge the system up so it shoots fresh cold air.

So nothing major, tonight they give it a double check, gauges and leak tests etc.
Then they'll give it a real good polish and clean and vacuum and wipe down before it's finally ready for me!!! 
They said the test was a huge success and both were saying it has to be one of the best MoPars in New Zealand and possible Australasia.
That was quite a buzz to hear them say that, they built it so of course they might say that but they are genuine and believed what they said.

The test was well worth it, if anything was to majorly go wrong that 4-5 hour trip would have raised the problem.
Engine runs smooth and has no worries no over heating, idles well and sounds awesome as.
Transmission shifts crisp and smooth and the slap-stik shift with pistol grip bangs away hard and precise.

I'm one very excited boy!!!!! 

Sorry lads, photos will have to wait until Friday (tomorrow).  :biggrin:
 :useless:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005 - 08:06:51 PM by NZ440R/T »
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: Lucys First Outting
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005 - 07:23:33 PM »
OMG NO PHOTO"S!!   :pullinghair:

That sound so exciting NZ!!  I am very happy for you!!  Time behind the wheel is awesome!!  Getting so close now to actually being done!!  Very cool!!  :bigsmile:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005 - 07:27:44 PM »

Thanks 4C, I pick her up tomorrow morining or "maybe" tonight, could be tonight be tomorrow latest.
So I may be able to take a couple of photos out on a drive tonight.  :biggrin:

All I can say is, what a Christmas present!  :bananasmi

RedLine

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005 - 08:10:26 PM »
That is an awesome story! You must be so excited! I'm sure the word is spreading throughout New Zealand that Lucy is on the prowl!  it's great that you don't have any major headaches-- no oil leaks or transmission leaks or water leaks..  ( we had a few of those--  and everyone said that was normal with the new engine break-in) but I guess you are doing even better than that!    we found that we had to play for about a week with the kick down adjustment --  it was best set based on the average speed we found ourselves on these city streets.  35-40 mph seemed to be right at one of the shift points-  so we set it to get into 3rd by then -  we manually shift when we need to really kick it.   :burnout:
it must be awesome to have all those people praising your car!  I'm sure your body shop is accurate as far as being the best Mopar around there!   its been a long ride for you -it's time to enjoy the rewards!   :thumbsup: 

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Lucys First Outing
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005 - 08:14:52 PM »

Thanks Red, truly appreciate the kind words.  :cheers:

It has been long and I take my hat off to the guys that spend 5+ years even longer to restore there cars, that must be living hell on most days.
But, it's past that and now it's time to enjoy the car for what it was made to do - drive!  :grinyes:

The kick down linkage should be sussed out soon, they gave it a stab in the guts doing about 20mph and it stayed in second, didn't drop down but still took off in a hurry. lol I had trouble keeping up in some parts in my Nissan Terrano (V6 4x4).
You bought up a good point, they said they used the slap-stik to manually shift and it all worked fine, so to punch it I'll use that as well.

Gotta love MoPars!!!!  :iagree:

Cheers,
Carl

Offline Total BS

• '71 Carrabuda Baby!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005 - 08:38:44 PM »
NZ,

Congrats on the test drive. I can't imagine how excited you must have been. Mine is just getting ready for the media blaster so I have quite a while to wait for that thrill. In the meantime I will have to live through all you guys that are just about done.  Cheers & Enjoy !!  Ed
1971 'Cuda 383
1970 Chevelle SS LS6
1999 Durango
-New Joisey-

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005 - 08:40:57 PM »

Thanks Ed, all in good time my friend. I look forward to your first run as you did mine!  :bananasmi :cheers: :woo:

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005 - 08:56:00 PM »
Glad you finally got to drive her.

What a Christmas present indeed. :thumbsup: :clapping:
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005 - 08:56:53 PM »

Thanks JS27.  :cheers: :thumbsup:

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005 - 09:05:35 PM »
Awsome!  :ylsuper: got to be a load that first test run, great that only minor bugs were found! those guys really seem to know there stuff & do a great job, is your trophy room addition ready for all the awards that car will win!  :worshippy Rich.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005 - 09:09:10 PM »

LOL  :lol2: I've got room.  :lol2: But, she won't be seeing any car shows, maybe one or two in her life. Doesn't really interest me that much.
I'll be the weirdo who pulls up at a Muscle Car show and parks a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T in the parking lot next to other viewers.  :lol2:

Cheers Richy.  :cheers:

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005 - 09:20:41 PM »
I'm so happy for you Carl!  It has been a long road, I know, but I bet driving her around today puts everything in perspective.  It's all worth it!  I can't wait to see some pics.  Have someone take a pic with you sitting in the drivers seat with that grin that I'm sure you're still sporting.  :biggrin:
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005 - 09:22:40 PM »

LOL!!!  :lol2: My grin won't be gone for weeks, months, years!!!!!!!  :bananasmi

Offline Prowler Orange Challenger

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005 - 09:33:00 PM »
Congrats on getting her on the road man. I say to heck with pictures. I want video footage.  :woohoo:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005 - 09:40:57 PM »

I'll grab some video footage sometime next year.
Then I'll send it to Rev and Redline (they don't know this yet)  :lol: and get them to post it up for me.

I for the love of me can't get it going, to big, can;'t re-size it...eh!  :banghead: :icon16:

Thanks for the kind words.  :thumbsup: