Anybody own a Stratus

Author Topic: Anybody own a Stratus  (Read 3320 times)

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
Re: Anybody own a Stratus
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2005 - 04:39:07 PM »
A lot of short trips can cause a build-up of moisture in the engine that does not get warm enough to evaporate properly through the PCV system. All engines will sludge under these types of conditions, this is why 3 mo or 3K is the mandatory interval on most manufacturers engines. cheaper oils will sludge quicker than better ones(you always get what you pay for). The very best guideline is to not exceed 80 engine hours, this is the best measurement as the odometer doesn't increment at idle.
Sounds Logical,but i do 80 hours in 7-8 days,lol.I change every 5k with Syn oil,most of my miles are on the freeway though.Looking into the valve cover when changin my oil looks spic and span,is that where to sludge occurs?
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2005 - 09:37:46 AM »
Sounds Logical,but i do 80 hours in 7-8 days,lol.I change every 5k with Syn oil,most of my miles are on the freeway though.Looking into the valve cover when changin my oil looks spic and span,is that where to sludge occurs?
Since sludge is heavier than oil, it will generally seep to the bottom.  It can build up in the heads and on rockers and such.  The real problem in when it starts to seep to the bottom, it has a long ways to go, and doen't move real fast.  Also try to imagine your oil pick up trying to slurp that gunk up!  If you use synthetic oil, then there should not be too much of an issue.
{oo/===\oo}

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2005 - 01:29:43 PM »
Since sludge is heavier than oil, it will generally seep to the bottom.  It can build up in the heads and on rockers and such.  The real problem in when it starts to seep to the bottom, it has a long ways to go, and doen't move real fast.  Also try to imagine your oil pick up trying to slurp that gunk up!  If you use synthetic oil, then there should not be too much of an issue.
I actually buy walmart full synthetic oil,its 11 bucks for 5 quarts,CHEAP!Its probably made by valvoline or quaker state since Walmart doesnt have a Walmart refinery,lol.I use Royal Purple in my diesel truck and tranny,Wish Walmart had Diesel Syn oil in Walmart Brand.Its cost me 6 bucks a quart times 14 quarts every time i cange the oil and the tranny holds another 14 Quarts-OUCH,but i think its worth it.I have never seen sludge come out my oil pan in either vehicle as long as i have owned them,I always change my own oil since i use Syn and ONLY WIX filters
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2005 - 04:38:21 PM »
Remember, I said you always get what you pay for!
The added expense comes from the additive pkg which enhances the oils ability to do its job, better the package the longer the oil will last before it breaks down.
Moparnut, if your oil is that inexpensive I would do it every 3K.  JMHO.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline greengochallenger

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2005 - 07:36:52 PM »
We have a 1996 Dodge Stratus. We bought it new. It has the 2.4 l 4 cyl auto.  Other that the battery going dead about a year to the day after we bought it, it has been great. It has nothing but synthetic oil in it.
The power steering was replaced due to a defect, and there was the dreaded oil leak from the head, but those were coverd under a recall.
We have 130,000 miles on it and its still a very good, reliable car.

Oldschool

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2005 - 07:43:19 PM »
 I have owned 2 of them. Both were the 2 door Mitsu cars. They have been very dependable cars.  Both were the 4 cyl. Great mileage and decent performance.  The current one is driven by a 16 year old.   :burnout:   If they can stand up to that, they must be tough little cars.   :cooldancing:  ...................Oldschool