Springs change out on Challenger

Author Topic: Springs change out on Challenger  (Read 2487 times)

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
Springs change out on Challenger
« on: December 26, 2005 - 12:20:10 AM »
Well I got my new springs from espo Springs N Things. I bought the 1 inch over stock to try to raise the rear end of my 71 RT as the springs had never been changed and they were starting to sag. I would recomend that anyone wanting to change their own springs try a few of these tips that worked for me. First soak any rusted bolts or nuts for awhile with WD-40 or other penetrating oil to help loosen up the rusted nuts and bolts. I jacked my Challenger up and supported the car with jack stands in front of the rear axle on the frame. Next I put a floor jack under the center pumpkin and supported the rear end. You will only want to change one spring at a time as the rear end will move around causing trouble changing the springs if you don't. Take the bottom shock nut off and pull the shock off and move out of the way. The next thing is to start by just breaking the front hanger nuts loose. Leave them like this and break the shackle nuts free also. I then took another floor jack and put it under the leaf spring I was taking off next to the U-bolt mounts and raised it a little to take up the pressure off the spring. Then I broke the U-bolt nuts loose and took them all the way off. Once they are off you can take the lower shock mount plate off. Then you can lower the floor jack under the leaf spring and remove the U-bolts. If you have the rear sway bar you will have to remove the end link on the side you are changing before removing the spring.  After the spring is loose and you have the U-bolts off you can raise the spring back up with the floor jack under the spring till the tension is off the shackle and remove the nuts and take the shackle out. You may have to pry the shackle out depending on how long it has been since it was apart. Once out lower the jack and move it out of the way letting the spring sit on the floor. Then take the 4 front spring mount nuts off and pull the spring out of the car. When I put the new spring back in I pretty much just reversed this putting the front mount 4 nuts on first resting sping on the floor. Then placing U-bolts on the axle and putting the jack under the spring in front of the shock mount plate I raised the spring with the jack and put the 4 nuts on the U-bolts with the shock mount and sway bar mount installed once you have them snug raise the jack high enough to put the rear shackle in place and put the 2 nuts on and snug them up. Once I was this far I got out my manual and torque wrench and tightened everthing to specification. Keep in mind I left the center floor jack supporting the rear end under the pumpkin the hole time so I could raise or lower the rear axle as needed to make everything easier to install. I also used a air impact to break the front hanger bolt loose as it must be used on the new springs. I still have to put the gas tank in and I got new brake shoes for the rear as they are getting very thin. I would also buy new rear shackle bushings as they will need to be changed as they are a wear item. Hope this helps anyone else who is considering doing this job on their own as it was something I have wanted to do to my 71 Challenger for about 5 years now and just never made the time or bought the springs to do it. I'll let everyone know how the Challenger sits in the rear when I get it down on the ground.   
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007 - 11:13:17 PM by 71340RT »

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Springs change out on Challenger
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005 - 05:15:52 AM »
I just went thru that with my car. You can never have enough jacks.  :lol: I ended up hack sawing my U-bolts off. It didn't matter since I was putting new ones on. Also be careful not to snag the driver's side spring on the solid front to back brake line when you slide it out. Don't ask me how I know.  :stomp:

Mike
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005 - 07:52:34 AM by MEKrunner »

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005 - 05:40:33 AM »
I went with 2" over stock height. Here is how it looks with 15X60X255 tires.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005 - 09:43:48 AM »
That looks GREAT!!   :woo:   You have a really clean set-up there!!   :thumbsup:

Offline Mopar73340

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005 - 05:25:03 PM »
I just finished changing my rear springs today also, tomorrow install the shocks and rear valance. Will be nice to drive it for the first time in 25 years without Air shocks.  Mek, My car sits about where your's does with factory height springs???? You have much weight in your trunk??  By the way, Nice looking job 71340.. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005 - 06:30:29 AM by Mopar73340 »
73-Challenger 340 727/GearVendors Auto
73-Challenger 408 Pistol-Grip 5-speed

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005 - 05:44:26 PM »
Oh, how I remember the fun of changing the rear spring, but I was OH SO HAPPY to finally be rid of those air shocks.  It is a much better ride now.  I also got the 2 inch over stock lift from Springs n Things.  They were great to deal with. 

71340RT, nice work and your car looks immaculate!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005 - 05:56:41 PM »
I just finished changing my rear springs today also, tomorrow install the shocks and rear valance. Will be nice to drive it for the first time in 25 years without Air shocks.  Mek, My car sits about where your's does with factory height springs???? You have much weight in your trunk??  By the way, Nice looking job 71340.. :thumbsup:

My trunk looks like a Mopar warehouse. Between all the spare parts and tools, it definitely has some extra pounds back there. Tis the season for dieting.  :lol: :lol2:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline Mopar73340

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005 - 06:41:10 PM »
  My trunk looks like a Mopar warehouse. Between all the spare parts and tools, it definitely has some extra pounds back there. Tis the season for dieting.  :lol: :lol2:

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike, I was worried the car was going to settle to much, then again I didn't want to go more than stock height because I hate the rear end sitting way up.
73-Challenger 340 727/GearVendors Auto
73-Challenger 408 Pistol-Grip 5-speed