I finally got a digital camera and will be posting pics!!

Author Topic: I finally got a digital camera and will be posting pics!!  (Read 7233 times)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: I finally got a digital camera and will be posting pics!!
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2006 - 10:34:28 AM »
Thanks for the pics.  Definately a labor of love!  Glad to see you got your dream car and now time to roll up the sleeves and get down and dirty! 

Just curious, have you done resto work before that was to this level?  This is certainly a daunting task!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Sal-Chichon

• 'Cuda Cop cars!! (Dreaming I guess) chargers R OK
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2006 - 12:02:31 PM »
This is my first restore and i am a little intimindated by the car  :22yikes:. I've been looking for a place that does media blasting (step one1)  out here in colorado, Then I'll start ordering the parts. Once the parts get here I'll break out the pnuematic cut off tool and the sawz-all with the metal cutting blade and start my operation. Long time running project but I'll definatley be needing help and will be doing a lot more posts asking for help. Who better to ask than all of you Cuda-challenger masterminds. :1zhelp:
F Rustangs and Crumaros!!! 'Cuda,  the only way to go, except maybe a Challenger!

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2006 - 02:26:29 PM »
 :wow:

That is a project

I would say that car should be dipped instead of blasted.  Still, any '70 should be saved !!

Offline Cannibal94

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2006 - 02:48:20 PM »
 :iagree:

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2006 - 03:14:40 PM »
That is definitly a project.
All I can say is after you get it media blasted, just keep at it and one day you will start to see the light.  :thumbsup:

Offline CHARGER_FAN

• Undercover Charger
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2006 - 05:25:06 PM »
Holy cowl!!!  :lol:
:lol: That's about wjat I was thinking too!

Sal, you've definitely got a crash course in rust repair ahead of you. Good luck, Man! :cheers:

Oh & I wouldn't dip the car...it might disappear! :icon16:  (sorry, I couldn't resist)

'70 Charger 500

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2006 - 11:53:26 PM »
Sal, I don't know what to say :worshippy other than good luck Buddy  :thumbsup:
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2006 - 08:21:31 AM »
But you know what?  After you're done with this project, or even just halfway through, you're going to gain valuable knowledge about body work that'll make future restorations look like a piece of cake! :worshippy
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2006 - 09:27:35 AM »
You can do it, but you will have to be a man of patience, and sadly a man with empty pockets during the resto, that will be one satisfying project when completed, be sure to photo document each phase as you progress, and of course sharing that with us  :thumbsup:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Sal-Chichon

• 'Cuda Cop cars!! (Dreaming I guess) chargers R OK
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2006 - 09:30:46 AM »
Yeah I know the car is loaded with rust but, I couldn't pass it up for the price. It has the block of a 73 318 in it. If anyone is interested I don't want it, Somebody could have it dipped or something. Anyway I was able to spend very little on the car, so I can spend more on the resto (god knows It will take alot of money for :money: the Resto)
F Rustangs and Crumaros!!! 'Cuda,  the only way to go, except maybe a Challenger!

Offline Cannibal94

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2006 - 11:31:14 AM »
I am glad that you got the car.  It seams like you will bring her back to life......not many people would!  Good luck and keep us updated on the resto with lots of pics!!  :thumbsup:

Offline lumpy

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2006 - 09:44:05 PM »
OK, Is there anybody else out there that thinks this is not such a good idea to restore this car. I am not trying to be negative in anyway, but knowing from experience what used and nos parts sell for and how hard it is to find some parts, especially with what your starting point is, I would definatley scrap this project and opt for something that is in a little better shape. If you don't have the money to afford a nice clean Mopar(nothing wrong with A or C bodies), then there is no way and I mean NO way that you could afford what it is about to cost you toget that car even close to halfway finished. Buy,sell,trade wheel and deal until you can find a decent project that you can afford. You will be glad that you did!!

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2006 - 10:50:28 PM »
Well, I for one would not be able to take on this task right now at my stage in life with the kids and all.  Would need an extremely supportive wife for this venture too because if she doesn't understand your love for a '71 Cuda, it could make things a wee bit tough.

If I was at the right stage in life and this is what I really wanted, no harm trying!  But lumpy does have some good points.  I would have to look at the pics again but from what I remember of the pics, will most of the body need to be replaced?  How will all the small pinhole rot holes be fixed properly?  I don't do bodywork (at least correctly!) so how will this get done?

Any body have any thoughts as to how much it would cost realistically to restore this car?

Where there is a will, there'll be a way, but it's a matter of $$$ too.  I admire the fact that you want to restore this car!  :thumbsup:

RedLine

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2006 - 04:13:42 PM »
Richard, anyone that can cheat death in the snow has the tenacity and persistance to bring this car back-  it just will take a long time -- directly related to you current budget and other commitments.  But if you do SOMETHING no matter how small everyday-- you'll get there.  Suggest you keep hanging out in "The Body Shop" with Chrycho,  make friends with RTGambit, Pistol Gripper, Wrencher, Cranker, HemiDog, and the other body guru's (sorry if I left you out)  who have had tough body/welding jobs.  Also buy a bunch of Body Solder  :thumbsup:  http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=739&itemType=CATEGORY&iMainCat=688&iSubCat=739   :bigsmile:

Oh how I remember. . . . 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006 - 04:27:34 PM by RedLine »

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2006 - 09:50:56 PM »
I heard you stole it from the guy...  Also if you need parts... I know of a few cars lying around if you need them... hehe

Ryan
Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham