Author Topic: Bolt-in independent rear for E-bodies - WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 13621 times)

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
Re: Bolt-in independent rear for E-bodies - WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012 - 01:00:48 PM »
Wow, looks like he's getting a total redo on his car.   wonder why?  Frame all twisted?
Don't know haven't talked with Roger since I moved back.  Maybe I'll give him a shout and say "hi"
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline bigblue73

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012 - 01:50:38 PM »
Total rebuild - Holy cow!  I'm calling on the rear suspension.  I believe that is the DSE quadra-link from a Camaro.  Which one is the question?  I like it but would hate to pay the bill for this rebuild.

Offline TKat13

• Work In Progress...
    • Project Cuda
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012 - 02:17:21 AM »
I just went through all 394 pictures, not only is it a total rebuild but it was a total disaster. If Timemachine did indeed do the build before Rad Rides got it,they should be ashamed! I have never seen so much bondo in my life. Under all that bondo, the doors looks like the surface of the ocean during a storm. Why anyone would spend the man hours shaping that much bondo instead of reskinning the door is just beyond me.

I feel really bad for the owner that paid a shop to do that and turn around and re-do it. Heck, my rust bucket is in better shape.

However, Rad Rides is doing one heck of a job and frankly all the pictures really help me with 'how-to' ideas.

thanks for the link. :)
1974 'Cuda
2005 SRT-10 Ram
2006 Buell Firebolt XB12R (Murdered by person texting & driving)
2004 Mach 1

Offline willhaven

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012 - 11:09:37 AM »
I wonder why he's ditching the suspension setup.

Looks like there's some multi-link setup in the back now. I wonder what's going to go in the front.

Offline grimmey71

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012 - 04:58:39 PM »
Would love to hear an honest review of thee rear suspension too

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013 - 12:40:36 PM »
Hey Guys, Digging up and old topic.  just got to dreaming up crazy things to do to my ride and started thinking IRS. Found this thread old thread. 

So it seems buying and IRS bolt in kit is expensive as all get out. BUT there are lots of options to pull from other cars now a days. Challengers, Chargers, Vipers all with strong IRS

anyone see an attempt to make one of these work in an E body?
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2013 - 09:31:44 AM »
It certainly can be done if you have the fabrication skills and the time to do it all, provided you understand how all the suspension angles interact with each other and how your changes impact them and how you can restore them. If you are doing it for a huge performance gain, I think you'll be disappointed for the increase received for the dollars/effort spent.

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013 - 09:44:29 AM »
I guess it depends on what you are looking for.   If I were to take on such a task it would be more WOW factor than anything else.  Removing a junkyard rear end out of a challenger or charger would probably be the the cheapest way to go.  The fabrication level would be high and very involved but if you could get the entire rear suspension out and figure out how to get it mounted in the rear of an Ebody it would be pretty cool. I would also imagine it would take some widening or or narrowing as well. Not sure what the wheel base is of the new LX cars.

Keep in mind I'm just talking crazy here.  The optimal situation, would be to have a junk e body car to try it out on. Cutting and welding and fitting of parts. That way your car isnt out of commission for the time it takes to get it all done. And if you give up on it you just part out what you have.

So who wants to give it try? C'mon someone here is crazy enough.
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013 - 10:05:45 AM »
I've read Time Machines ruined that car and the workmanship was crap.

Guy had the car totally redone by someone else.

I hear Heidt's is coming out with a bolt-on IRS soon.  They could be just selling vaporware though.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013 - 12:44:29 PM »
I've read Time Machines ruined that car and the workmanship was crap.

Guy had the car totally redone by someone else.

I hear Heidt's is coming out with a bolt-on IRS soon.  They could be just selling vaporware though.

That stuff will be stupid expensive.  Trying to do it on a budget yet still get cool results. Assuming i was going to do it  at all.

Offline 70RAG383

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013 - 02:39:44 PM »
Check this IRS from Freak Ride.  I'm installing this in my 1970 Challenger:

http://www.freakride.com/2013_mopar.pdf

Cost is $1800 which I think is reasonable considering you'd pay just a little less for the Hotchkiss leaf spring kit but you get a superior 4-link instead.  Only welding required is for the crossmember  between the rear frame rails.  This is the setup used in  the Mr. Norm's GSS Darts.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013 - 03:37:10 PM »
Anything is possible with either time or money or effort. 

I seem to recall somewhere on the interweb is a blog about a guy who adapted an IRS system underneath his early A body. He did it as a budget exercise,  relatively speaking,  and sourced most parts from salvage yards and did his own fabrication. I seem to recall the end results produced a smoother ride, which was his goal. He didn't push the car much as a performance ride so he had not idea how much better it performed just said it felt better. Is that the truth, probably. I can't discount his butt-meter any more than I can call mine a benchmark. I do believe since his IRS was sourced using late model Ford parts, he had access to improved shock systems and was using better matched spring rates, which likely contributed considerably to the improvements, so similar results could have been achieved with less cost, effort, and time using a bolt on set of parts from a package supplier, but that wasn't what he wanted to do. Will an IRS ultimately outperform a live axle, it certainly can. Do they look impressive, hell yeah! So if wow is the objective, its hard to beat. If fab time to test your skills is a concern, it will live up to that to.

Check this IRS from Freak Ride.  I'm installing this in my 1970 Challenger:

http://www.freakride.com/2013_mopar.pdf

Cost is $1800 which I think is reasonable considering you'd pay just a little less for the Hotchkiss leaf spring kit but you get a superior 4-link instead.  Only welding required is for the crossmember  between the rear frame rails.  This is the setup used in  the Mr. Norm's GSS Darts.

Those are four link systems, not IRS systems.

Offline 70RAG383

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013 - 04:26:17 PM »
HP2, wouldn't the 4-link I described be considered an IRS?  Let me know what the differnce is.

Offline challengerjeff

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013 - 09:44:36 PM »
The coilover/links conversion changes the suspension but it's still a live axle.  Independent means one of the wheels can move without affecting the other.

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2013 - 10:18:12 PM »
HP2, wouldn't the 4-link I described be considered an IRS?  Let me know what the differnce is.

This is IRS, you posted a 4 link.  4 link is cool too but not IRS

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEIDTS-Superide-IRS-Hot-Rod-and-Muscle-Car-Independent-Rear-Suspension-/261271406621?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd4fd481d&vxp=mtr