Author Topic: Air filter hidden nitrous kits  (Read 2395 times)

Offline wart1de

• Vivah
Air filter hidden nitrous kits
« on: December 29, 2005 - 05:08:32 PM »
I've noticed in summits catalogue a nitrous kit which mounts inside the airfilter for an extra 50-100hp. Has anyone tried these? Are they safe?
1973 Plymouth 'Cuda
1980 Ford Falcon XD ESP
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Offline black71

• eph 6:12
Re: Air filter hidden nitrous kits
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005 - 06:35:19 PM »
i saw that kit also and thought it was a good idea, but if i had nitrous in my car, i think i'd strut it and not hide it

Oldschool

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005 - 06:40:49 PM »
I say if you build it with enough horsepower to begin with, you won't need nitrous.   :burnout:  Saves having to make the decision about which system to use. No worries about if it's safe or not.  :cheers:   :cooldancing:  ............Oldschool

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005 - 06:58:49 PM »
Confucious say:
Listen to oldschool, has many pony's in barracuda!

I'm not sure I would want NOS, I have a 340 bored balanced & Blueprinted with BIG cam! and she runs pretty good.  If I was going to trace her often, NOS would be an option.  There waqs a saying I seen once, can't remember it but it was something like:
"Pure throttle without a bottle!
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline wart1de

• Vivah
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005 - 09:48:36 PM »
With fuel here over $1 per litre, a 400hp engine is expensive enough to run... if I had 450-500hp naturally aspirated I wouldn't be able to afford to drive/enjoy the car as much as i'd like.

I figure the nitrous can give that little extra power when I actually need it. The authorities here don't like the idea of nitrous plates and solenoids under the bonnet, which is why the hidden system caught my eye.
1973 Plymouth 'Cuda
1980 Ford Falcon XD ESP

Oldschool

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005 - 10:23:26 PM »
  :iagree:  That makes perfect sense.   If you don't need an answer immediately, I am sure there will be comparison tests published soon in some of those performance rags.  Somebody will try one out and let us know.   :ylsuper:        :cooldancing:   ..............Oldschool

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005 - 07:29:52 AM »
I say if you build it with enough horsepower to begin with, you won't need nitrous.

You should build it with enough horsepower to begin with then when you want more......get nitrous. After that gets boring then add more nitrous untill you blow the engine. Then rebuild it bigger and better and repeat the steps again.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005 - 07:39:58 AM »
Well put :clapping: That really does sum it up :burnout:

Jeff     
    Defending the Earth from "uptight" mods!!   an endless crusade..........

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4speed Dana
1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline gotacuda23

• 73 mist green 440 cuda
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005 - 11:40:15 AM »
heres a saying i once heard on this board

originally posted by NZ440R/T (carl)

"only babies are on the bottle"

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005 - 12:58:57 PM »
I think way back when the same attitude was against automatics on the drag strip. If you couldn't handle the manual tranny then you didn't belong on the track. Any one remeber that? How many automatics you see these days.I think the same attitude hold true for modern times with NOS. A motor thats built right is relative to what its built to handle. NOS is no more than any other enhancement, blower, turbo and so on. You get beat by a NOS car you lose. Thats it. No excuses. If you couldn't beat the NOS car then you shouldn't have got in the race. I think the stuff is great. You can build a STRONG but mild motor to street drive and turn on the power when you need it. I worked at Lizzard racing in NY for a while and they did alot of NOS work and testing. The thing I have to say the owner of the company always said is those that are scared of NOS don't understand it. No insult. Just a fact. I have to say at first I was in dissagreement with him. But after a while I must admit I think he was right.

Offline R/T

• Johnson City TN
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005 - 02:24:37 PM »
Here in Tennessee  it will soon be illegal to have nitros on the street . If your bottle is hooked up they will be able to confiscate the car. It all had to do with a  18 yr old in a mustang  killing a girl while he was drag racing
1973 Challenger (OO/=====\OO)  440 
Hemis and Harleys
2008 Dodge Ram Big Horn Edition  5.7 Hemi

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005 - 06:00:18 PM »
NOS is no more than any other enhancement, blower, turbo and so on. You get beat by a NOS car you lose. Thats it. No excuses. If you couldn't beat the NOS car then you shouldn't have got in the race. I think the stuff is great. You can build a STRONG but mild motor to street drive and turn on the power when you need it. I worked at Lizzard racing in NY for a while and they did alot of NOS work and testing. The thing I have to say the owner of the company always said is those that are scared of NOS don't understand it. No insult. Just a fact. I have to say at first I was in dissagreement with him. But after a while I must admit I think he was right.
:iagree:
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006 - 02:39:03 PM »
NOS is for 4 cylinder Ricers and NOS is also like Hairspray and makeup to me,kind of fake.You sure you want to slap Ma Mopar in the face?,she may get revenge by taking a couple of your cylinders out when you hit the button?lol
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline turbocuda

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006 - 04:23:00 PM »
Now if you want real power, not some wimpy nitrous shot or some bohemeth of a mountain motor suckin down all your weekly gas money just cranking her up....put some boost on her....not some centri- or roots blower either....but some hairdryer power....It's there when you need it, it never stops pulling....it makes up later for that initial lag....

I wouldn't mind going up against that green fast-back......Where ya from!  You know...just some playin around....see what kind of big dog mopar street cars are out there! :bigsmile: :cheers:

Offline wart1de

• Vivah
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2006 - 04:39:14 PM »
Nitrous has been around long before turbos and was on v8s long before it was on any ricer and at the end of the day it's just another way to add more power... That is what most of us aim for isn't it?

I'm guessing nobody has tried this new setup?
1973 Plymouth 'Cuda
1980 Ford Falcon XD ESP