OK tell me I'm crazy!

Author Topic: OK tell me I'm crazy!  (Read 4073 times)

Offline pink panther

• Resident
OK tell me I'm crazy!
« on: December 29, 2005 - 07:18:37 PM »
Tell me I'm crazy!  at all the shows I have been to these last couple of years, the "tuner" is becoming much more prodomitnant ( hope spelled right).
It is great for kids and young adults to get into the car scene, especially Mopars (neons, stratus,etc.) But if this is where the market and focus lies, we will be gone (old Mopars) in the next ten years. Especially any older enthusiast.( no dis respect intended) what is the market for our older mopars going to be like when Gen whatever are adults?  Just a question, like I said call me crazy.
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline 74MOPAR

Re: OK tell me I'm crazy!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005 - 07:26:32 PM »
 Your Crazy !  Old mopars never die, they just sit on the side of someones house slowly rotting, waiting for the day they'll be restored.
74 'Cuda + 73 Charger Rally + $$ + assembly= Noble M400
 03 Ram Hemi 4x4
 78 Aspen Super Coupe

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005 - 07:30:13 PM »
Your Crazy, enough said :roflsmiley:

Ahhh! The smell of burning rice, it is becoming more prevalent at the local shows. :sleeping:

Some shows have even started to exclude them.

Confucius says……never by a Honda from a teenager.  :jumping:

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005 - 07:30:53 PM »
74, that is a hurtfull truth! Mopars rotting on the side of the house.   Think I would buy them all if that happened, and of course share them with my extended family here.

Oldschool

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005 - 07:40:31 PM »
Hey Pink---I ran into a friend of mine the other day. He is the proud owner of a '66 Chevelle  SS 396.  :walkaway:   He has owned it since he was 16.  The motor is mildy modified.   :burnout:  Anyway, I noticed the tag on the front of his car said  "The WOK"   :dunno:  I asked him what was up with that.  He said "this car specializes in frying rice"   :ylsuper:  Pretty clever I thought---even though he's a Chebbie guy.  Hey--nobody is perfect.   :cooldancing:  .............Oldschool

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005 - 07:46:32 PM »
sorry to bud in, but  :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: even for a Chevy guy :roflsmiley:

Jeff     
    Defending the Earth from "uptight" mods!!   an endless crusade..........

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4speed Dana
1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005 - 07:47:24 PM »
Hey Pink---I ran into a friend of mine the other day. He is the proud owner of a '66 Chevelle SS 396. :walkaway: He has owned it since he was 16. The motor is mildy modified. :burnout: Anyway, I noticed the tag on the front of his car said "The WOK" :dunno: I asked him what was up with that. He said "this car specializes in frying rice" :ylsuper: Pretty clever I thought---even though he's a Chebbie guy. Hey--nobody is perfect. :cooldancing: .............Oldschool

Old, I like.  do you want moo goo pan with that.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005 - 08:57:47 PM »
OK,  you're crazy!  LOL, j/k!

That thought sort of twinkered in my brain before but the younger generation, at least around here, isn't just into the ricer stuff.  Of the majority of the muscle cars driven around here (not all that many to begin with) are driven by the highschool kids.  True, the Tuners have been predominant in the minds of the young, but that's not all of them.  There are more than several teenagers that have E-bodies on this site,let alone muscle cars in general. 

I hear what your're saying, though.  I used to regualrly attend the World of Wheels when I was in my teens and the only foreign car there would be a modified Datsun 240z, but it usually had a small block V8 under the hood. I went a year or two ago and it was mostly rice stuff, with a hand full of original muscle cars.  Sad, it was.

I do have to admit the ricer stuff is easier to do for a younger kid.  Just slapping on bolt on/glue on parts you get at the local Autozone (usually done on the family Honda Accord/Civiic) vs doing a restoration.  Dad comes home and says, "I can't keep the friggin trunk open thanks to that huge wing you put on the trunk lid!  Oh, and that's where the coffee can went?!?!"

Take a look also at SEMA, as they are getting tuner muscle cars in the spotlight now.  Also, with the advent of the 2005 Mustang, potential 2009 Challenger/Camaro, buying used muscle for the younger generation will be as easy as a whine and a check from mom/dad.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005 - 09:17:54 PM »
I was @ the SEMA show on Vegas this November, ya lots of saki. But what were Foose and the boys workinh over in the tent?? A first gen CHARGER!!!!!!!
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Andrew

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005 - 09:43:53 PM »
If you guys are worried about whats gonna happen to your cars, you could always give them to mem Il make sure they get appreciated :burnout: :droolingbounce: :swaying: :jumping: :crazy: :bigsmile: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :working: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

:nzflag:

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005 - 09:51:26 PM »
Thanks for the thought Andrew, No it isn't necessarily the value, but after we are gone no-one will care for the old Mopars anymore.

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005 - 10:00:53 PM »
I disagree. If the younger generation could afford 400 hp ebods.. they'd be driving them. Remember those cars are an end to an era. They'll never die.. just appreciate more.  All IMO

71fish
71fish - Nobody better than an E-BODY!!

Offline freightdriver

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005 - 10:40:12 PM »
i've got about a 430hp one :clapping: its not really the price its just how many teenagers anymore look at the classifieds all the time, pick up a fickle nickel, go parts chasing every weekend just to hopefully be able to pick up the right parts when all they have to do is go buy a stock civic and can throw all that crap on in a week or two if they have the funds. it took me 5 or 6 six junk yard runs for my 11.75 disc conversion me and my dad run to pick n pull on the weekends and we'll go through and see if theres anything useful i've got under 3k in my car the whole drivetrains completed, suspensions been rebuilt and a 11.75 disc conversion in the front. i paid 500 for my challenger with no rust,etc guy i bought the car from just got tired of it and was under somekind of illegal substance i'm guessing... i don't know many teenagers that dream of having a built musclecar but i always have and i've owned my good share hopefully this will be the last i'm hoping to have less than 10k in the car completed... and after its completed i'm building another 400 but either a 451 or 471 can't make up my mind but that won't be till after the cars completed and on the road that should make mince meat of any import around here if the current built 400 already does'nt  :burnout:

Offline A383Cuda

• Sal's Muscle Cars
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005 - 11:41:50 PM »
Nice license plate! I had a 69 RS/SS Camaro with a license plate that read "EAT RICE" I tried to get "BYE COP" on the Cuda, but the DMV wouldn't allow it.  :walkaway: So my new plate reads "FST CUDA"

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005 - 11:48:26 PM »
Thanks for the thought Andrew, No it isn't necessarily the value, but after we are gone no-one will care for the old Mopars anymore.

Why so down, Pink?  We're not talking Yugos here.  (Although the convertible was kinda cute, but dangerous probably!)  We are talking cool Mopars, aren't we?
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger