New Guy Question

Author Topic: New Guy Question  (Read 1800 times)

Offline MIKEYSGOTAMACH1

New Guy Question
« on: December 29, 2005 - 09:37:32 PM »
Hi all,
My name is Mike and Im new to the challenger/cuda world. Currently I have a 2004 Mach 1 Mustang that im trying to get rid of. I was looking on ebay and i came across this : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4600774821 does that seem like a good deal? I was hoping to trade my mustang on it. I live in Altus Ok and its only a 3 hr drive. Any thoughts or comments. ( I am somewhat mechanically inclined and with no more 540 monthly payment into the mustang i could more than likely afford to fix it up decently in a few months) thanks all!
2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1 - Borla Catbacks, K&N Cold Air intake, Alpine DVD Player

Past Cars:
1991 Mitsubishi 3000gt Vr-4
 ( I know...rice, but hey we weere all young and stupid once)
1997 Dodge Dakota R/T
2000 Mustang GT

(I have this problem...I love Mopar and Ford) =)

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
Re: New Guy Question
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005 - 09:52:33 PM »
Welcome Mikey :wave: First I'd be a little hesitant. The trans cable needs to be adjusted so it will engage park? If they know what the problem is, and how easy it would be to fix it, why wouldn't they do it instead
 some rust around rear plug but was siliconed? Hacked
the trunk has been patched with glass? Hacked
rear pans need patching/replacing.
383 sounds very solid and with a little carb tuning I think would run great.?? I think???
No mention of the frame at all?

Just throwing these out there as red flags to me. With the prices going as they are..... a big block S/E Challenger for possibly around 10 grand? sure

Jeff     
    Defending the Earth from "uptight" mods!!   an endless crusade..........

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4speed Dana
1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline MIKEYSGOTAMACH1

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005 - 09:56:26 PM »
ya your right, thanks man, its just particularly hard for me to find one because A)It has to be a trade in B) With work its hard for me to drive more than six hours to go look at one. Sucks...
2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1 - Borla Catbacks, K&N Cold Air intake, Alpine DVD Player

Past Cars:
1991 Mitsubishi 3000gt Vr-4
 ( I know...rice, but hey we weere all young and stupid once)
1997 Dodge Dakota R/T
2000 Mustang GT

(I have this problem...I love Mopar and Ford) =)

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005 - 10:08:09 PM »
I dont want to discourage you at all. I understand your situation. It's just when your looking at something you really want, you sometimes tend to  inadvertently overlook the "flaws". I do it all the time. I'm not saying that is what's happening, but it's good to get another set of eyes sometimes :thumbsup:
Also if you look at the drivers side rear quarter the bottom is missing a little bit (hack cover up?). compare it to the other side.
At the end it's your decision, and how much work you have the time for, and are willing, and able to do yourself.
 Best of luck. Hope this helps ya

Jeff     

1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005 - 10:57:07 PM »
Well put R/T hedkace! :thumbsup:

Is there a code for the SE package?  Maybe Rev/Redline knows.  I tried to find out but couldn't find any codes on a '70 brochure.  It just said an SE had the small rear window, overhead console, special headliner and some exterior chrome pieces. 

I'm wondering if it was a base Challenger and they cobbled up an SE rear window and console to up the $$$ of the car.  Sorry, it's the pesimist in me saying that.  Never know what you may find on Ebay.  Another goofy thing is that the shifter is the wrong year.  The car is a Jan 22, 1970 so should have the little wood ball shifter.  This car has been through many hands I would think and needs some resto!

I would try to wait and find one local.  Although for the Buy It Now price it would make a nice project to play with.  Any other input???  See what others say.  Hope this isn't the fish that got away.  Yah, it's got rust and a lot of other issues but a '70 for this price might be a consideration, IMO.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005 - 11:18:14 PM »
Real original name, MikeysGotaMach1  :nono:

just kiddin  :bigshades:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005 - 11:20:21 PM by GoodysGotACUDA »
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005 - 11:39:38 PM »
Hey Goody,  Happy Birthday!  I noticed on the sig that you're not 17 any more!   :woohoo:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005 - 11:53:01 PM »
Is there a code for the SE package? 

Nope, no option code, it was a seperate model, so the "29" in the VIN means it was an SE.

T/Ake care,
Barry

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005 - 11:54:29 PM »
Hey Goody,  Happy Birthday!  I noticed on the sig that you're not 17 any more!   :woohoo:

:rofl: my bday was actually in september, i just noticed my sig still said 17  :icon16: :screwy:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005 - 04:50:52 AM »
Didn`t you post about trading before?Trying to restore a car while driving it can be tough and that Challenger sounds like it needs too much work.Why can`t you sell the Mustang outright,buy a cheap daily driver and then find a nice project to work on,just a suggestion?
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline sbird426

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005 - 07:47:35 AM »
This car has been for sale for some time.  I bid on it a few weeks ago but didn't make the minimum wanted at the time.  The buy it now price is 'below' what I bid.

We called the current owners.  This car has some significant problems.  You will 'probably' need a parts car to go along with it if you want to do it up right. 

Every major panel and door needs work.  The frame rails are "ify". 

My guess is that you're above 40k or more before you are done.  Easily.  (Others may differ here, in particular if you can do your own work).

To be honest, if the car were closer to me I would probably buy it now and speculate.  Take a year and do it right.  Hopefully when all was done I would at least break even if I wanted to sell it. 

Good luck.

Dave Booker

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005 - 08:36:26 AM »
Thanks for confirming my suspicions Sbird.  :thumbsup:  Something about it just didn't seat well with me, and I wanted to make sure I wasn't steering mikey1 down the wrong path. I do feel much better now, and I hope you heed the advise mikey1 :walkaway:
 Good luck on your quest to find one. Be patient, they're out there :thumbsup:

Jeff     

1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2005 - 04:33:40 PM »
Man...whoever tried to fix this poor car up is giving us a good lesson in "What Not to Do to your SE Challenger"!  Silicone the plug??  Are they crazy?  I have seen one other car where the bondo'ed the plug and painted the top body color to do away with the vinyl....but not silicone!  And the Challenger badge on the grill NEVER went in the middle.  All in all...it's a big block 70 that needs a lot of TLC.  It's around the right amount, but I'd like the current bid price better then the BIN!
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2005 - 05:38:09 PM »
don't forget the ever important antifreeze container in the motor compartment :icon16:

Jeff     

1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts