67 cuda + 383

Author Topic: 67 cuda + 383  (Read 938 times)

Offline cuda666

67 cuda + 383
« on: December 29, 2005 - 10:17:55 PM »
Hi, I am new to this forum but I would like to introduce myself and ask a question.  I have a 67 Barracuda fastback with a 273.  I would like to put a 383 into it and would like to know what kind of things I will have to modify.  I understand that power brakes and steering may be a problem to fit.  It has a 4-speed, but I'm not sure the make...would it be a A833?

Thanks for any input...

Swedefish

Re: 67 cuda + 383
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005 - 09:39:14 AM »
Welcome cuda666
Nice choice but I`m kind of partial to -67 with 383.
I also got a 4-speed and yes it`s a A-833.This gearbox has a shorter extension compared to B-bodys.And I beleave that from -67 they got a stronger mainshaft. Clutch linkage setup is different compared to smallblock cars.
Another thing you have to think of is wether you are going with headers or manifolds.Can be tricky to find stock exhaust manifolds.
And for headers with a 4-speed you `ll have to find a setup that works with the clutch linkage and the starter, now you could use a lightweight starter.
They did not come with power steering.
 Maybe you could show us some pics of your car,and please keep us updated with your progress.

Here is a pics of my engine compartment.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005 - 10:34:28 AM »
Welcome to the site!!  Sounds like you ae building one sweet car!!  I moved this topic down to the engine tech area to make sure your question gets answered by some of our experienced members!  Hope you enjoy the site!! 

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005 - 10:20:34 PM »
Welcome to the site!  Always glad to have more A bodies.  I wish I could help, but, I haven't read anything on sb to bb swaps.  I'm a small block guy, personally. :naughty:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005 - 01:22:17 AM »
Swedefish is right on , the engine will bolt in , the 4 spd will be the A version of the 833 , the left manifold is the problem , Schumachers makes a header that fits & I believe the TTI works as well  , you will need the big block belhousing as the samll block one is different

Welcome BTW  :wave:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t