Winter Storage

Author Topic: Winter Storage  (Read 2895 times)

Oldschool

Winter Storage
« on: December 30, 2005 - 07:54:17 PM »
 With so many members cars put away for the winter, I was wondering what steps you took in preparing your cars for the extended storage.  I've heard bunches of recommendations, but I wondered what was really going on.   :working:  Thanks.   :cooldancing:  ....Oldschool

Offline pink panther

• Resident
Re: Winter Storage
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005 - 08:00:23 PM »
Old school, I have plastic put down on my garage floor then plywood on top of that to absorb the moisture.  I just start it every week or two and let it run for a little bit, sometimes when it is nice I get to drive it too.  Other than tha I don't do anything special except work on the things I noticed over the summer.
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Oldschool

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005 - 08:11:19 PM »
Old school, I have plastic put down on my garage floor then plywood on top of that to absorb the moisture.  I just start it every week or two and let it run for a little bit, sometimes when it is nice I get to drive it too.  Other than tha I don't do anything special except work on the things I noticed over the summer.

Pink---You do your car like I do mine.  The plywood/plastic sounds like a good idea. I've never done that.  I have heard of folks getting a Linex or Rhino type coating applied to the garage floor for moisture protection etc... They have it applied about 2 feet up the walls for ease of cleaning.  Just wash it out with garden hose.  Ever heard of that?    :cooldancing:  ..........Oldschool

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005 - 08:14:22 PM »
No, I have never heard of that, sounds like a pretty good idea.  anything is better than nothing though, a lot of people in my car club use the plywood.

I see you got your full member status, congrats!
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005 - 08:30:46 PM »
Oldschool, I start with charcoal... but get the generic brand you don't need Kingsford. lay it out on the floor underneath the car, draws moisture to itself asway from the car. Around here I can usually get 2 years out of it. I usually use 20-30 lbs. You know when its reached its saturation point cause it starts turning grey -like it does when your grilling an when you pick it up it crumbles apart in in your hand. Second we inflate tires to maybe 45-48 lbs - no flat spotting. I w-d 40 wheels and any vunerable areas. Keeps the rust off an wipes off E Z in spring. Then third to a half quart of oil down the carb - spin the motor over but take off the coil wire (DUH). Battery out an in the house. Car cover done. Also seems to be that mice don't care for charcoal either - no chewed wiring! Then car cover and done.  Whew, I'm only a 2 finger typer but hope this helps. :2cents: :thumbsup: 
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005 - 08:34:27 PM »
OOPPPPSSS... almost forgot full tank of gas w fuel stabilizer!!!!!! :jumping:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005 - 09:26:27 PM »
Here's some ideas...
One of those electronic rodent repellant gizmos (if they even work)
Car on jacks with the tires off the ground to avoid flat spots on the tires...also to relieve spring rate decrease
Hood and trunk up to prevent moisture trapping
Mothballs around top of engine and in trunk to keep spiders and what not from hangin around
Drain coolant halfway and strenghten it to prevent radiator corrosion
One of those dehydrator wands that are electric. (commonly sold at marine shops. (use in the interior)
probably a few more to do besides this but it all depends on when it'll be driven again.
Hope these help.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005 - 10:20:58 PM »
A ripped, and dingy car cover thats too small. :thumbsup:
 I like my car to be free, and become one with the elements of nature.  :crying: :roflsmiley: :crying:  :roflsmiley:

Jeff     
    Defending the Earth from "uptight" mods!!   an endless crusade..........

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4speed Dana
1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline 4drbrnko

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005 - 12:02:55 AM »
For the meece problem, I am trying this stuff:
http://www.goodearthenterprises.com/freshcab.html
I have several cars/trucks parked outside and the mice have been pretty bad this year. Too soon to tell if it's working though.
You can get a desicant to keep the moisture down at walmart, comes in a big tub and costs about 9-10 bucks and should last 3-4 months. The stuff works, I use it in my motor home to keep the mosture content down down in the storage basement.
I change the oil and over inflate the tires as mentioned.
I have heard that it isn't good to "unload the suspension for long periods as it can be worse than letting it sit loaded on the tires.
Full tank of gas with stabilizer.
A good wash and wax for the paint. Pay close attention to any body flanges that may be holding dirt/road debris, these will attract moisture and begin to rust. Some cars are worse than others for having these hidden areas for dirt to sit. Many cars have drain holes that can get clogged and allow moisture to sit also.
Most of the time, starting and ideleing a stored car won't bring the exhaust system up to temperature and you will wind up with condensation that will sit in the pipes and rust it out from the inside....................
There's my 2 cents.

:2cents:
<-------<<<  Clickylinks..... My vehicles

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005 - 07:10:22 AM »
I'm fortunate in that my garage for the Mopar muscle cars is heated and has a dehumidifier running when necessary, the only area that is of concern but so far a non issue is the little "mousey" worry , but I have bait stations throughout the building, hopefully they eat and leave. But beleive me, they will find a way to get in, no matter how sealed up your garage may seem....................how do they do that?
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Andrew

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005 - 07:16:49 AM »
Mice are the strangest anmals, we used to find mouse poo in a sealed chili bin (esky), which was strange because when their sealed their almost air tight so theres no way a mouse could get in their, also once it got in there it would have to climb about 10-12 inches of smooth vertical plastic.

Basic rule with mice is "If you dont expect it to get in something, it probibly will.

Back in the day we had an old 286 computer that a mouse got into and peed all over the motherboard and fried it.

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005 - 02:10:22 PM »
Mice are the strangest anmals, we used to find mouse poo in a sealed chili bin (esky

If it was sealed, I believe you were being taunted.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2005 - 03:37:35 PM »
over inflate the tires as mentioned.
I have heard that it isn't good to "unload the suspension for long periods as it can be worse than letting it sit loaded on   

You could be right on that call. I read an article in a Mopar magazine years ago on storage. But I would think that relieving some of the load on the suspension might be helpful IF the car was going into long term storage. Otherwise, IMO, overinflating the tires is worthy instead.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 440_72cuda

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2005 - 04:21:27 PM »

Offline 70RTdroptop

• 1970 Challenger R/T 440-SixPack
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2005 - 05:53:51 PM »
I have heard from the people that I bought my 5th wheel from that  a good way to keep mice and other critters away is to use scented dryer sheets, like Bounce, and put those sheets all around the interior of the vehicle. Supposed to work real good, from what I hear. Don't see why it wouldn't work for cars too, maybe throw a few sheets around the exterior of the car as well. Just my  :2cents:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440-6 convertible
1966 Ford Mustang convertible  - numbers matching (wife's car )