Close to DEATH???

Author Topic: Close to DEATH???  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Sal-Chichon

• 'Cuda Cop cars!! (Dreaming I guess) chargers R OK
Close to DEATH???
« on: January 03, 2006 - 01:04:44 PM »
Okay, I am only 24 and yet I have been close to death in the past year. I was wondering how many others have been close to death?

My story,

I was hiking in the mountains of New mexico in April of 2005 with a couple of buddies/ coworkers. we all live in colorado but there was still alot of snow up here so we checked and were told the snow was all melted in Santa Fe New Mexico (Rangers are liars). Any way we planned a trip for three days of hiking/camping/ and fishing. The trail was a moderate trail and about 8 miles long to get to the lake. When we drove into Santa Fe we saw several mountains but only one of the had snow (the one we were to hike). So we hit the trail and started our adventure. As we kiked the snow pack was getting deeper and deeper, we were ablr to stay on top except for a few times of sinking in. Anyway it was slow going and the sun was setting and we were still on the trail so we decided to set up camp, the problem was there was not any bare ground all snow covered. We srt up camp and I was on firewood duty so i stayed in wet clothes a little longer than the others. After dinner i changed clothes and got in my 0 degree bag and on a foam core matt (keeps cold away from body). Then from there on I can only remember two things  A huge fire and waking the next day. My friends told me what happened>>>

They heard me making noise in my tent but I would not respond to them talking to me. They opened up the tent to find me convulsing every 10 seconds or so. I was unresponsive and very cold to the touch. They noticed that my sleeping bag slid off the matt and on to the snow. They then got the wood i gathered and the fire start jelly and created a huge bon-fire. They then drug me out of the tent and laid me infront of the Fire to warm up (took both because I'm 6'06" 240 pounds).

When I woke in the morning I had burn holes in my clothes (hot ash hittng me) I felt very sick to my stomach). We decided that we had enough fun in the mountains and hiked back to the truck and drove home. I wife was not very impressed with the incident and very upset that she almost lost me. (no more camping and hiking before july).

Thats my story, so what is yours?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006 - 01:10:43 PM by Sal-Chichon »
F Rustangs and Crumaros!!! 'Cuda,  the only way to go, except maybe a Challenger!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Close to DEATH???
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006 - 01:16:51 PM »
I definatly do not mess around in cold weather , first I have no heating system & am the first person to get cold & the last to warm back up second we get severe cold here & people have died walking to a friends house in the city , you can die that fast in the weather we have here , I won`t even go camping in july or Aug anymore
 Be careful

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006 - 01:20:36 PM »
Wow!   Glad you're Ok!  You almost became one of these:  :angelwings:

Sorry, don't have any stories like that.  My wife makes sure of that so I'm around for her and the kids (Selfish motives, eh?  Ha Ha, just kidding!) 

Closest I came is maybe my stint with cancer but it was treatable, thank God for that. :woohoo:

« Last Edit: January 03, 2006 - 01:30:41 PM by Super Blue 72 »
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006 - 01:31:41 PM »
Wow...I'm glad that story had a happy ending!  I've never been close to death (that I know of).  I was robbed at knife point when I was 17 and it almost scared me to death....does that count? 

There was one time when Redline and I were driving on the turnpike in Florida while it was pouring down rain.  We hydroplaned and did a 360 on the road.  Somehow he pulled it out and we kept going straight.  We didn't say a word for about 30 minutes after that. 
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Oldschool

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006 - 01:37:24 PM »
No details,..........but,

3 year motorcycle roadracing stint,  34 years of driving high horsepower cars, and last but definately not least: a 30 year career of firefighting.

That oughtta just about take care of it!   :ylsuper:  Still kickin...........   :cooldancing:  .......................Oldschool

Offline Sal-Chichon

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006 - 01:38:42 PM »
Glad to hear that the cancer was treatable there is a history of breast cancer in my family luckily everyone has survived treatment. I have had a skin cancer removed and have yet to find anymore.
F Rustangs and Crumaros!!! 'Cuda,  the only way to go, except maybe a Challenger!

Offline Sal-Chichon

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006 - 01:42:18 PM »
No details,..........but,

3 year motorcycle roadracing stint,  34 years of driving high horsepower cars, and last but definately not least: a 30 year career of firefighting.

That oughtta just about take care of it!   :ylsuper:  Still kickin...........   :cooldancing:  .......................Oldschool

Firefighter! very noble profession! America's Heros (second to Law Enforcement) LOL :thumbsup:
I've only been doing it for 2.5 years and nothing life threatening yet, Other than the guy spitting in my face and mouth ( 6 months blood tests and I'm clean no HEP or AIDS.)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006 - 01:45:12 PM by Sal-Chichon »

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006 - 01:45:44 PM »
Oh, now that reminds me Rev...

I was leaving Montreal about 6am and it had just started to snow.  (I was about 19 years old)  When I got out on I-10 going back to the states, it was near blizzard conditions and one lane plowed.  I was "sort of" in a rush to get back to Boston and was behind a slow car in the clean lane.  It was snowing hard enough I missed the sign for the US and missed the exit by 250 miles (I made it to ?Sherbrook.  The highway turned into residential roads.)  

I tried to pass him and as I got into the other lane the back end of my car did a 180 and I passed the guy BACKWARD doing 70mph.  I could feel the car going down into a gulley backward in between the opposing lanes of highway and all I could think about were the concrete supports holding up the overpass.  Thank God I didn't hit it.  I got out unscathed and so did my car but was now stuck in about 3" of ice.    Just then 2 guys in a Camaro pulled over and got my car out of the ditch, didn't even take any money for offering to help.  Who said guys who own Camaros are all bad?

Definately thanks to all the firefighters.  My dad in the 60's was Chief of the Hong Kong Fire department.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Cannibal94

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006 - 01:50:37 PM »
I was in a head on collision with some friends when I was twelve and spent a while in the hospital.  I saw the truck a second before we hit it.  I slid down in my seat, putting the seat belt across my ribcage........yep...........broke my ribs and put them through my organs...luckily I survied (obviously) but someone must have been watching over me!

Another time was when me and  a buddy went snowmobiling in Wyoming a few years ago, like we do every year but this time we went off the trail and got caught in a blizzard.  Luckily, we found two other snowmobilers, but they were lost too!!  We ended up going in one direction and found a trail.  We were about 6 miles from where we thought we were.  That is a long ways on a snowmobile!  Made it to the truck on fumes...were very blessed that day also!

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006 - 02:05:52 PM »
I have had a skin cancer removed and have yet to find anymore.

I had one removed last year and go in every 6 months for a body check...thank God, no more have shown up.  That carcinoma word is awful to hear!

Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Oldschool

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006 - 02:40:26 PM »
 Sal quote--" I've only been doing it for 2.5 years and nothing life threatening yet, Other than the guy spitting in my face and mouth"

You do it long enough and the odds will catch up with you.  I hope you have a safe and fulfilling career.  Keep your eyes and ears open---safety first.  If I can make it for 4 1/2 more shifts, I will be retired with full benefits.  Hope you are as fortunate as I have been.   :cooldancing:  .........Oldschool

Offline Sal-Chichon

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006 - 02:57:30 PM »
Well thanks for the luck and Hope you are able to enjoy retirement and do what you enjoy. I got 27 years to go then I too can retire with full pention. My wife makes sure I go to work with my vest and and her love oh yeah and my H&K USP .45 cal.

Offline Johnny Cuda

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006 - 03:38:14 PM »
5 years ago my doctor found a tumor the size of a grape fruit wrapped around my aorta. 3 days before I was scheduled to start Chemo they had to rush me to the hospital cause I was having trouble breathing and could not walk over ten feet without assistance. After 4 months of chemo and 25 radiation treatments I was diagnosed as cancer free. All that's left of the tumor is a golf ball sized mass of scar tissue. Turns out I had Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. A guy 3 years younger with just about the same symptoms and diagnosis died while I was in treatment. I owe my life to my church family, my doctors and Jesus, my savior.

:thumbsup:

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006 - 05:34:56 PM »
It's good to see that most of these horror stories have in time turned out well for all :thumbsup:
Here's mine. 2003. A pile of fractured ribs, lacerated spleen, multiple cuts,bruises etc...... Looked down after I got hit and collapsed too see ribs almost poking through my chest near my heart. I could bearly get a breath out. Thats no BS that you see your WHOLE life flash in an instant. :22yikes:
 Still feel it to this day, but another inch or two over, and it would have been through my heart, so I got nothing to b!tch about, very lucky indeed :thumbsup:

http://www.lqwa.org/jetskiaccident.html

Jeff     
    Defending the Earth from "uptight" mods!!   an endless crusade..........

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4speed Dana
1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2006 - 08:11:12 PM »
Cant think of any times I've been really close to MY death. But once about 10-12 years age we were having some "afterhours" problems at the shop. So I would randomly come down and do a little behind the scenes recon. Ther used to be a good viewing spot of my property from behind a warehouse to the east of us. Anyway one night at about 10 p.m. I come cruzin' around the back an see an Olds wagon parked there with the motor running, it was warm out an I could here it. Figured maybe somebody in a "getaway car" wating for there buddies in my shop or some kids smokin' weed. Anyway I slowly pull around the car and notice the windows are REALLY fogged up (ya I've fogged some windows with my girlfriend when I was young too!)anyway,. It was just after I thought someone was having a horizontal disco party I notice the garage hose goin from the tailpipe into the back window!! I immedeately hop out of my truck, pull the hose out of the window and open the door. Thank God it wasn't locked, to find some guy about my age trying to end it all. I pulled himup and out . I said man whatever it is, it ain't THAT BAD!!!! After a bit he came around a bit and went on his way. To this day I wonder at times did God send me to save Him??
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl