switching VINs...

Author Topic: switching VINs...  (Read 14983 times)

Offline 2000gt

switching VINs...
« on: January 02, 2006 - 12:53:45 AM »
Lets say someone had a plain 318 barracuda and wanted to clone a different car (ie 383 cuda)  What would you need to make the switch complete:  Dash vin obviously, the rad support with the vin stamped in it, the paperwork, title, etc.  What else is there???

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
Re: switching VINs...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006 - 02:10:42 AM »
you forgot the cowl... hehe, what are you up to?  :nono:
Member of The Rapid Transit System

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006 - 04:27:38 AM »
That is illegal....
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006 - 04:52:06 AM »
A clone is just taking a plain Barracuda and making it look like a `cuda model NOT switching vins or forging paperwork.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006 - 07:44:16 AM »
Lets say someone had a plain 318 barracuda and wanted to clone a different car (ie 383 cuda)  What would you need to make the switch complete:  Dash vin obviously, the rad support with the vin stamped in it, the paperwork, title, etc.  What else is there???

Perhaps 20 years in the big house and about 20 days in the hospital when the next owner visits you, ya nuts?
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006 - 08:25:55 AM »

Perhaps 20 years in the big house and about 20 days in the hospital when the next owner visits you, ya nuts?

Exactly, what you are proposing is a federal offense.

Offline moparguy01

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006 - 09:18:34 AM »
people who switch VIns like that are "rebodying" a car, which means your tampering with the VIN number, which is a federal offense, and the bain of all the automotive restoration world. I sure hope you arent serious. if you are maybe you should find a board with people more into illegal things than this one. cause you will not get any support or help from this one.

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006 - 10:01:53 AM »
 :bricks1:
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006 - 10:04:29 AM »
This was just a hypothetical question...right?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006 - 10:10:44 AM by Rev-It-Up »
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006 - 10:06:34 AM »
 :screwy:
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline 2000gt

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006 - 10:14:50 AM »
Wow, strong opinions guys.  But relax, I for one couldn't care less about the VINS on my car.  It will be nice but it will be a clone regardless of which approach I take (ie big block, aar, etc)    Basically I couldn't be bothered even if I had all the necessary stuff to do this anyway.  I asked because I was curious about a discussion a buddy of mine and I had.  Just for arguements sake, if you take the most rusted out hulk of a car, (lets say a hemi cuda just for fun) and replace the fenders, hood, quarters, floors, part of the floor,part of the cowl,  some of the frame rails and rework the rest of the car to rid yourself of the rust, etc aren't you rebodying the car anyway???  it would basically be a different car.  To me there's not too much difference between this and switching the vins, paperwork etc from that same rusted out hulk to a straight body.  Lets hear your opinions on this, fundamentally I know you wouldn't be restoring the "original car"  but a complete restoration of a total rustbucket would leave you with very little of the "real car" left anyway.   Anyway, relax guys.  My little 318 automatic barracuda soon to be aar cuda will have the original numbers...if you don't believe me you'll just have to check the car out in about 20 years from now when it might actually be finished.  

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006 - 10:32:46 AM »
A clone is just taking a plain Barracuda and making it look like a `cuda model NOT switching vins or forging paperwork.

That is a modified car . . a clone is an exact replica.  We've had this discussion before here and came to the conclusion that there are no true clones out there! 

2000gt . . . LMAO . . . 20 years to do a resto!!  Giving yourself a little extra time in case of problems?? 

Offline A383Cuda

• Sal's Muscle Cars
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006 - 10:35:50 AM »
The obvious vin places have been brought up. There may be other places associated with vin numbers though, such as the subframes, trans, engine, etc. Don't forget that EVERYTHING would have to be date coded as well. All in all, not only illegal, but time consuming and expensive. It seems to me it would be very expensive to try to "piece" together an original and dated Cuda.

Offline 2000gt

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006 - 12:01:04 PM »
4cruzin, I was being optimistic with my 20 year resto, at least that how it feels lately.  My wife and I are having a baby in March (our first) so the Cuda funds may run out for a while.

Back to the topic though, just let me restate that I am not interested in changing the VINs on my car but was just wondering at what point are you basically replacing the whole car anyway with rust repair.  Isn't that in itself a rebody??? 

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006 - 12:24:59 PM »
4cruzin, I was being optimistic with my 20 year resto, at least that how it feels lately.  My wife and I are having a baby in March (our first) so the Cuda funds may run out for a while.

Back to the topic though, just let me restate that I am not interested in changing the VINs on my car but was just wondering at what point are you basically replacing the whole car anyway with rust repair.  Isn't that in itself a rebody??? 

I understand what you are saying. It does kinda seem the same. There have been auctions on E-bay of rare, or desireable cars that were smashed up, or total rust buckets. All these cars had were fender tags, dash VINs, and maybe the cowl and radiator support numbers if you were lucky. They sold for thousands.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: You know darned well someone bought the pile of junk to take the numbers in question, and put them on a lower model car.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.