switching VINs...

Author Topic: switching VINs...  (Read 14989 times)

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
Re: switching VINs...
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2006 - 12:55:06 PM »
Hypothetically what would be the better car to own and DRIVE?
1. an original high optioned total rust bucket that someone pieced back together with repro panels and parts..

2. or a solid rust free donor car that received all of the rare goodies from the high optioned rust bucket ?

Personally, I think having a good solid car originally built by mopar in their factory is more desireable/important than saying that tag was originally riveted to this formally rusty car so that's the one I prefer.

That said, an all original car that was kept in good condition from day one is the best.

:2cents:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006 - 09:06:13 PM by chevyconvert »
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline 2000gt

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2006 - 12:59:30 PM »
chevyconvert, thats kind of the point I was making.  I would rather drive the solid original car too.  I think its an interesting topic, especially now that they are remaking new bodies for old cars ie the Camaro.  Whats better, to own an original 69 Camaro with new quarters, floors, etc or a new 69 camaro???
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006 - 01:18:43 AM by 2000gt »

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2006 - 01:09:13 PM »
I understand what you guys are saying, and I agree.. but if you tried to resell either car, the highly optioned/desireable car would go for more, even if it was a rust bucket at one time. There is something wrong with this picture, wouldn't you agree???  :dunno:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2006 - 01:17:10 PM »
 :iagree:

TOO much emphasis placed on little tags compared to what counts most: how good a car drives, looks, performs, handles etc.... :burnout:
Eric
Bay Area California

daves70

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2006 - 04:35:17 PM »
Sounds like a good way to get sent to jail. I wouldn't get involved.  :eek4:

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2006 - 04:48:51 PM »
I do think there is a difference between taking a complete but rusted out car and swapping the parts onto a clean body and buying just a vin tag and creating a car from it but either way it is frowned upon simply b/c of the numbers stamped into the body.The body shell is really only 1 part of the car no different than any other part except for vin numbers stamped into it designed for deterring or catching chop shops stealing and rebodying cars,trucks and motorcycles.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline mikeinsjc

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2006 - 08:39:47 PM »
Chevyconvert, you are right on about the emphasis on little tags. I suppose we have brought this on ourselves, with all the emphasis on numbers-matching this and that. If you think about it, it doesn't make much sense that changing one letter in a vin of a nice car would make it worth five times that of a numbers-matching rustbucket. I think the point 2000qt is making is an excellent point. The fact that it is a federal offense is not necessarily a statement of the evil or meritoriousness of the action. Anyone rember the "Assault Weapons" bill? Almost overnight, the price of certain firearms went through the roof. for no other reason except congressional fiat.  Think about this- if tomorrow congress made "rebodying" legal, the bottom would fall out of the collector car market. Would that be such a bad thing, to be able to get an old mopar without having Tim Allen's income? Yes, of course it is the basic economic principle of supply and demand. I will personally never buy a numbers-matching car, because the reason I'm buying the car is not for investment or speculative purposes. but to drive, tweak,  and have fun with. I intend to change a lot of the dawn-of-man engineering on the car, which would not be wise to do on a numbers matching car. If someone came up with a way to replicate all the qualities of a diamond for one-fifth the cost, and nobody could discern between the two, which would you buy for your wife?
70 cuda
70 challenger
69 6 pack rr

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2006 - 09:19:13 PM »
 :iagree: When I was a kid I learned somewhere that the indians used pretty sea shells, fancy beads ans such for money.
I thought how stupid can you get? :roflsmiley:
We (I'm Guilty!!!) do the same thing working months to buy shiny rocks.

And mikeinsjc..they do have the diamond alternative: CZ's and no, the women don't desire them the same way. I found a "diamond" tennis bracelet years ago in a grocery store parking lot. Very pretty. Took it to a jeweler that made, repaired ,sold jewelry etc. He used his jewelers eyepiece and wasn't sure. He used some other thing and wasn't sure. Finally used an electronic device and said it wasn't "real". what a joke. They're not even rare...every walmart ,target, pennys, sears etc across the country have 'em.
Eric
Bay Area California

Offline 2000gt

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2006 - 01:14:58 AM »
Whats interesting to me is had I started this thread by telling everyone that I was replacing the quarters, doors, fenders, roof, floors, trunk lid, trunk floor and extensions, parts of the frame rails, etc on say a 70 6 pack cuda I would likely have been congratuled for my endeavor and been told its a lot of work but it will be worth it.  However, basically I would be rebodying a car.  When I started this thread asking about switching VINs (again basically rebodying a car) I had people ready to kick me off the board, lock me in jail for 20 years and put me in the hospital :crazy:  Ironic hey.  To me I don't really see the difference.  I believe the reason why rebodying a car is against the law is to prevent people from stealing cars then changing the VINS and reselling - the government is not real interested in old cars and could probably care less about protecting me from paying $200000 for a 318 barracuda with a hemi VIN and cowl stamp scabbed onto it, they'd rather see all these old cars crushed anyway.   Regardless, I'm glad my car is only a 318 barracuda, that way when I install my aluminum wiing, 6 in tailpipe and wild Cuda R graphics nobody will get too upset.  However, if anyone has a set of Hemi fender tags and dash vin laying around the shop give me a shout :angelwings:

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2006 - 05:04:03 PM »
Was/is that car a real  440-6 car... no... wasn't one from the factory so anything after that is a clone, and then trying to switch Vin numbers and tags is mis-representing the product.  Rebuilding a car with little or nothing left is admirable, swtiching vins to a better car is criminal.  If you enjoy being in prison for years... by all means.

Ryan
Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham

Oldschool

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2006 - 05:23:05 PM »
Some folks can probably mix-n-match parts/numbers and never have a problem.  I would end up at Gitmo under the watchful eye of the military and the FBI. That said, I wouldn't take that chance.    :cooldancing:  .......................Oldschool

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2006 - 07:13:06 PM »
I see your point but one thing is certain. Make no mistake about it --changing vins has been done in the past and will continue to be done in the future as long as there is money to be made. It is also illegal PERIOD The factory asigined a vin to each car built. That number is for that car and that car only. When that car dies that number should die with it  END OF STORY !!!  If a nice solid ride is all you want then find a rust free car and build it the way you want--any color-motor-trans-options. If the little tags have no importance then you should care less that your 70 hemi cuda  has a 318 vin or fender tag. If the tags are important then you need to keep them with that car no matter how bad it is because that is the LAW. The vin and the tags are what makes the car worth the high dollars !!!! so if someone is changing them it is because they want more than just a solid ride but are looking down the road for resale value.
Just my 3 cents.
JS27
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006 - 12:36:32 PM by Rev-It-Up »
1967 GTX
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline 2000gt

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2006 - 07:35:54 PM »
I think I need to repeat again that I am not interested in doing this, was just a conversation starter.  My car came with  318 and I could care less.  i hope to never have to sell it anyway so if it is worth 1 dollar or 200000 it doesn't matter to me. 

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2006 - 07:40:51 PM »
2000 GT,
I think you can see by all of the post how pasionate we are about our mopars.  Trouble is, blocks are being rre-stamped, and the hypothetical queation you asked is also being done.  for a lot of us we can't afford to be swindled by these types of people, nor do we want to see these types of forgery show up into our passions.
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2006 - 07:43:59 PM »
Take from someone in the auto biz licensed in 2 states.... Can you say PRISON?
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl